pup training

2 posters

Go down

pup training Empty pup training

Post by sue Mon Jul 18 2011, 13:20

hi all has anyone used clicker training with a puppy, just been reading about it online and wondered if it was any good or even worth it Smile
sue
sue
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : maddie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

pup training Empty Re: pup training

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18 2011, 13:34

We've never used it but know people that have had success. Everyone and every dog is different. Not much help I know Crying or Very sad As long as you are consistant Maddie will be okay.

Back to top Go down

Post by johneva Mon Jul 18 2011, 13:56

Clicker training is great it your planning on taking your training to a very high level as its gives a more instant and easy conformation that the dog has done the correct thing.

It like saying good boy/girl when the dog does the command you asked but its quicker and easier.

Works the same way though you ask them to do a command then when they do it you click the clicker and treat the dog or give them the toy your using as a treat.

The thing is when they are doing lots of tricks or something like training them to do the slalom in agility a clicker works so much better, trying to say good girl/boy each time the get a post right when teaching them the slalom is not possiable yet you could click for each correct one they did very easy.

I think clicker training is a good idea as it leaves the door open to higher training. Although you can teach a dog clicker training after its much harder than if you have done all their training with a clicker.

If you only plan on teaching them basic commands and a few little tricks then dont bother though. Simpley saying good girl/boy and treats/toys work fine. We are happy with the level we are at with Molly an never used a clicker with her commands we have taught Molly so far: sit, down, off, leave, stay, bed, talk, back, spin, circle, over, sit pretty, jump.

Last edited by johneva on Mon Jul 18 2011, 16:15; edited 1 time in total
johneva
johneva
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Molly, Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 : 1 1/2
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 36

http://www.lease-hire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18 2011, 14:20

Clicker training's great when it works, but not all dogs respond to it.

I know that a few people on this forum have used it & found it good. If you want to read about it, try this book........When Pigs Fly by Jane Killion. It's a good, sometimes funny, read & well worth it.

Karen Pryor has also written a couple of good clicker books.

Back to top Go down

Post by sue Mon Jul 18 2011, 14:56

thank you for the advise
jstaff its not for Maddie but our new pup,as im only thinking of basic stuff think i will just stick to verbal praise but just thought i would ask
sue
sue

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : maddie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18 2011, 14:57

I've never used it but as long as you are consistent in how you use it, it can be very effective

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18 2011, 15:42

We tried but it did not seem to work maybe we were doing it wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down