training help please!

Go down

training help please! Empty training help please!

Post by milliemoosmum Wed Sep 14 2011, 14:33

hi well my good start with millie hasnt carried on so im a bit disapointed. so i have a few questions.

should i go back to the begining with training ie practice what the behaviour man said in the garden before building up to outside?

i am rather stressed over job interview and date will this be affecting her?

i was recommended to use the check collar which seemed to work but since reading a post on it im concerned , she is wearing a DAP collar as well do people think it worth persevering see if that helps to calm her down?

i am so confussed on what to do next. since april/ may time i have been wrapped up in looking for a job and millie has not had so much of my time walks havent been that long and i tended to just let her run on feild and not practice walking , so i know this is my fault .

any ideas / tips for me would be so good!

milliemoosmum
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : millie
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

training help please! Empty Re: training help please!

Post by Guest Wed Sep 14 2011, 18:58

What Problems are you having exactly? If things are going a little backwards, it's always good to go back to basics and reinforce everything she has learnt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 14 2011, 19:32

Yes going back to basics is always good, and yes the dog will sense your mood so practice being calm but firm around him and as Shontelle says they do go backwards at times then take a bigger leap forward once everything soaks in

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 14 2011, 22:31

Nothing wrong with going back to basics. I feel check collars should be used only as a last resort and then you have to know how to use them properly. I think they do indeed pick up on your mood. I would advise at least two 45 minute walks everyday. This will help her release energy in a positive way and let her bond with you. For the basics keep the training session short about 10-15 minutes and try to end on a positive note. The mental stimulation is very important as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 14 2011, 22:37

If you're going to use a check chain, have a read through this....

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t3292-check-chains-how-to-use-them?highlight=how+to+use+a+check+chain

I would always recommend trying an ordinary collar first (or a half check) and only use a check chain as a last resort. Remember that a check chain should only ever be used for training, short periods at a time, and never for your day to day routine walks.

For the rest, going back to basics could well help both you and her. By starting with things she already knows, you will build her confidence & trust in you & that can only be a good thing.

Whenever you have a training session, make sure you finish it with something you know she can do easily - always end on a 'high'!

Back to top Go down

Post by milliemoosmum Fri Sep 16 2011, 09:15

ill try going back to basics with her , i walk 12 hour days 3 maybe 4 times a week so 2 x 45 min walks not possible.
im hoping if i get this job ill be able to do at least 40 mins a day after work maybe more .
im not firm enough with her and i treat her like a child in many ways i know that , the dog man said not so many treats ect but i feel mean!

milliemoosmum

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : millie
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down