Training

Go down

Training Empty Training

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23 2011, 01:30

Okay... so another question from the new parent...

I am currently 1 week into 3 weeks of annual leave. In this time I am trying to train Vlad with some more basics and build on all the things he knows already (because he really is a smart little puppy!) The other thing I am trying to do is stop separation anxiety. He is getting better. In his first 2 weeks with us, we only had to leave the room and he would howl and bark and cry. He now just waits by his little gate with his tail wagging. He has LOADS and LOADS of toys. I am also aware that in 2.5 weeks I am going back to work so he will be alone for a maximum of 4-5 hours (often less). We are lucky we have a big yard and he loves outside and sitting in the sun. He runs himself silly with a football and tennis balls and we fill his Kong (best money ever spent!) in the morning. Over the last few days I put him outside with his Kong and shut the blind. He runs and plays and hoards his toys in his kennel then drags them all out again. I am just trying to build up to a routine so he knows we will always come home to him. After a couple of hours, I let him back in, he goes to his little area (open playpen with a big bed and some MORE toys) and gets a big fuss and sleeps for an hour. He then wants to go back outside again. Making sure he goes to his bed has definitely helped with his toilet training (still the odd accident but better!). I also go out a couple of times during the day and have a run around with him... but he really goes off when my husband comes home! They have THE BIG play then. When we are able to walk him... watch out Tongues Now... after this MASSIVE spiel... am I on the right track, doing the right thing??? He seems very happy, follows us everywhere and the biting is starting to stop (he's 12 weeks tomorrow) I am trying to be consistent... show him discipline and lots of love.

Back to top Go down

Training Empty Re: Training

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23 2011, 01:54

Sounds like you are on the right track to me. Consistency, training and love. Is he getting two 45 minute walks during the day. Exercise is very important as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23 2011, 02:02

Once he has his 12 week vaccination he'll be walked regularly... for the moment it's high energy running around the back yard with various balls, old soft drink bottles (we have spent thousands on toys and he loves these most!) and he has a sun down moment for about 1-1.5 hours of a night time where he runs around the house like a looney before he crashes for 10 hours of sleep!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23 2011, 02:04

I missed the fact that he was too young for walks. You're leave came at a good time than since you'll be able to take him out to explore the world soon. Enjoy Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23 2011, 02:08

Thanks Big Grin I've loved being home with him! I felt awful going to work and leaving him (probably made him worse!) but I am happier now because he is starting to really behave and show that while he a cheeky little bugger, he is getting some manners and is a very loving little pup!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23 2011, 02:12

It is nice once they start to settle down a bit and learn the rules. Walking will be a big help for you to since it will help get some of his pent up energy out. Hope you enjoy and be prepared for him to stop and smell just about everything Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23 2011, 02:52

Big Grin LOL... He's funny when he does his business... he goes to smell it and then just jumps back... clearly a smell he doesn't like... he did, however, manage to get into the laundry one morning where the cat litter is, she obviously left a deposit over night... Vlad thought it was really tasty. sick sick sick sick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23 2011, 08:27

pixie79 wrote: Big Grin LOL... He's funny when he does his business... he goes to smell it and then just jumps back... clearly a smell he doesn't like... he did, however, manage to get into the laundry one morning where the cat litter is, she obviously left a deposit over night... Vlad thought it was really tasty. sick sick sick sick
Laughing :>

Back to top Go down

Post by johneva Fri Sep 23 2011, 09:45

jstaff wrote:Sounds like you are on the right track to me. Consistency, training and love. Is he getting two 45 minute walks during the day. Exercise is very important as well.

Just to highlight when he is old enough for walks, it is recommended you only walk them for 5 mins of each month of their life for the first year. So at 3 months only 15mins.
johneva
johneva
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Molly, Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 : 1 1/2
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 36

http://www.lease-hire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23 2011, 11:48

Thank you Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23 2011, 13:31

After bragging about he good he is becoming, he's peed on the floor twice this evening (we were taking him out every few minutes because he was sniffing) and he is being a bugger about sleeping... It's lucky he's so cute Tongues I took away all of his toys because he decided 10.30pm is play time... I don't think so! The cat woke him... she saw him sleeping and she just started hissing... house of nutty animals! LOL. He usually sleeps from around 8.30-9pm until about 6-ish. The other day he slept until 8am! His 12 week vaccine tomorrow... fingers crossed he's a good boy for the vet!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down