Moving a new puppy

2 posters

Go down

Moving a new puppy Empty Moving a new puppy

Post by ballyboy55 Fri Dec 09 2022, 22:17

Hi guys,

I'm getting a new puppy on the 19th of December and I live in North London. I'm just wondering whether or not it is going to disorientate a puppy much if take it to my parents' house in Cheltenham for Christmas (2.5hr drive). I am prepared to stay at home with it here but obviously would be nice to be with my parents on Christmas day. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

P.S. This isn't a Christmas puppy FYI - have been researching getting a dog for about 3 years now!

Thanks,

Bal

ballyboy55
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Moving a new puppy Empty Re: Moving a new puppy

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Dec 10 2022, 11:42

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Moving a new puppy Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Moving a new puppy Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Moving a new puppy Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Moving a new puppy Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Moving a new puppy Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Moving a new puppy Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Moving a new puppy Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Dec 10 2022, 11:59

Hello and welcome!

Congratulations on your new family member, though puppies in winter are harder work for toilet runs and the such Smile

I believe that new family member has to follow the rhythm of the family.
However, it is true that a bubbly family dinner with your family a week after leaving it’s siblings is not going to be easy for your puppy.

I would suggest that as soon as your little one gets to your home, set up a solid routine in terms of feeding, toilet runs, sleep and naps, etc. You must keep this routine wherever you are residing.
A weaned puppy sleeps alot but you must be prepared to leave your xmas family gathering every half an hour for toilet runs.

Your puppy will need a quiet place to nap.
Perhaps consider using plastic travel case (door open) as bed/basket. It will be a familiar and comforting place for your puppy so will make travel and sleeping at parents place easier too.

Bear in mind that not all puppies travel well so don’t feed 4-6 hours before travel to limit having full stomach and travel sickness.
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down