Since moving to raw...

3 posters

Go down

Since moving to raw... Empty Since moving to raw...

Post by goldie87 Sun Feb 09 2014, 12:18

Zeus has now been on a raw diet for just under two weeks now and we've noticed the following changes in him. Just wanted to make sure if they are all normal..?

1) He doesn't drink as much water as he used to on kibble.. can this be down to the higher moisture content in a raw diet? Also, lack of salt etc..?

2) His poo has been yellow since he switched, which I know is fairly normal, its slowly slowly turning brown but on walks, he tends to poo around three times, all little pellets, not much but just more frequent, instead of one big poo. Its also really dry and sometimes looks as if hes trying really hard to get it out?

3) He's got more dandruff in his fur (for which I've just purchased salmon oil to put in daily), I'm guessing because a raw diet has no omega 3 etc, so I should add it in to supplement this?

I'm pretty sure this is all normal but just need some piece of mind..!  praying 
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Since moving to raw... Empty Re: Since moving to raw...

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09 2014, 14:32

Drinking less water is normal as you say, because of the moisture content of the meat.

Poo that is too yellow means he's had a lot of chicken and as for it being hard, him straining or coming out in little hard bits - that means he's had a lot of bone, so cut back on the bone until you find the right balance Smile

I add things like coconut oil, sunflower oil, olive oil, honey and apple cider vinegar for shiny fur. Salmon oil is great too.

Do you give him oily fish at all, that's also really good for fur and joints.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sun Feb 09 2014, 21:45

It all sounds pretty normal from what i have read Smile The same things have all happened to Bane except for the yellow poos!
Have you noticed any change in his skin and colitis yet? Smile
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu Feb 13 2014, 23:29

Sorry about the delayed response guys, been ill the past few days, only just started to feel better!

RoxysMum wrote:Drinking less water is normal as you say, because of the moisture content of the meat.

Poo that is too yellow means he's had a lot of chicken and as for it being hard, him straining or coming out in little hard bits - that means he's had a lot of bone, so cut back on the bone until you find the right balance Smile

I add things like coconut oil, sunflower oil, olive oil, honey and apple cider vinegar for shiny fur. Salmon oil is great too.

Do you give him oily fish at all, that's also really good for fur and joints.

Thanks for your response, it pretty much clarified what I thought! I do give salmon oil but not oily fish.. I'll give it a try!

Bane wrote:It all sounds pretty normal from what i have read :)The same things have all happened to Bane except for the yellow poos!
Have you noticed any change in his skin and colitis yet? Smile

His skin pretty much seems the same, he's still scratching the same as before but one of the main things I've noticed is that he rarely farts now and when he does, they don't smell nowhere near as bad as they used to! He also doesn't poo too much.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Fri Feb 14 2014, 09:31

All seems similar to Ledger, except he hasn't experienced the dandruff yet going to have a look for some oil to supplement his food
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 14 2014, 17:55

I've heard of the dandruff thing, possibly toxins coming out  biggrin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down