Preparing for my first pup!

4 posters

Go down

Preparing for my first pup! Empty Preparing for my first pup!

Post by Becca144 Mon Jan 31 2022, 01:24

Hi everyone,

So I'm picking up my puppy in 2 weeks and I am trying to prepare of anything and everything.

The main issue I'm having is what food would be best for him, he's on some ok food at the moment so should I keep him on that or go for a more nutritious dry food?

I've got some enrichment toys such as licky mats and treat mazes but I was hoping for some recommendations with chew toys that won't fall apart easily, or some chew sticks? I also have got him a toy dinosaur that looks quite durable haha.

So sorry for all the questions but I would be so grateful for any tips and tricks you all have to get me prepared for my little guy.

Becca144
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Preparing for my first pup! Empty Re: Preparing for my first pup!

Post by Nifty staffy Mon Jan 31 2022, 05:16

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Preparing for my first pup! Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Preparing for my first pup! Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Preparing for my first pup! Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Preparing for my first pup! Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Preparing for my first pup! Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Preparing for my first pup! Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Preparing for my first pup! Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Preparing for my first pup! B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Mon Jan 31 2022, 05:29

Hello and welcome.
How exciting bringing your new family member home, congratulations ! Big Grin
What is his name ? Hope you’ll share a few of your adventures together.

You definitely need to continue to give the feed he is currently getting as to change, you’re looking at a transition over a fortnight anyway.
What is he currently eating at the breeder ?
If the feed is a suitable quality one and he does ok on it, sometimes it’s best not try to fix something that is working, especially at first.

Edible Chews generally aren’t meant for weaned puppies but as from 6 months onwards. Great toys are the Kong ones, including the ones for puppies. Along with the legendary one to stuff
https://www.amazon.co.uk/KONG-Natural-Teething-Rubber-Puppies/dp/B0002AR18C/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2TCMJH62FDWFX&keywords=kong+puppy+toy&qid=1643606562&sprefix=Kong+puppy%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-2

this one for chewing is good too !
https://www.amazon.co.uk/KONG-Puppy-Teething-Stick-Assorted/dp/B0009YWM0I/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2TCMJH62FDWFX&keywords=kong+puppy+toy&qid=1643606562&sprefix=Kong+puppy%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-10

Just bear in mind that weaned puppy will spend most of their time sleeping and eating so it will give you the opportunity to adapt. Just be very careful not to overdo the physical exercise with the “5 minute per month of age rule” and remember that mental stimulation is as tiring as physical exercise Wink

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Mon Jan 31 2022, 07:37

What an exciting time!

We feed raw here, but my pup came from the breeders on half raw & half Royal Canon puppy (yuk!). He had a terrible stomach on the RC so we switched straight to fully raw & he was fine on that.

There's no such thing as an indestructible toy, especially for the bull breeds. But a puppy shouldn't get through things too quickly. Just remember (as Nifty says) not all chew toys/edible chews are suitable for a puppy - always check the labels.

Keep to good quality treats as they won't react badly with his food. Start training virtually straight away, just short, fun stuff - sit for a treat, give paw etc. You'll be surprised how quickly they learn, they're very intelligent dogs.

Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Preparing for my first pup! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

Post by Becca144 Mon Jan 31 2022, 12:59

Thanks so much for all the information, we have decided to call him louis <3 I will try and attach a photo.

Yes was planning to fo it over a time if we did decide to change foods. He's on Harrington puppy, which look ok but was a bit put off about the meat meal that's in it.

I have a vet in my family so I've got some good tips from her, but I wanted to get some advice from some awesome staffy owners too!! Think I'm over preparing haha!

Yeah I havent tot any chew toys as of yet because I want to make sure thyre not too hard for their little teeth. So thanks so much for the recommendations. I wint bother with edible chews till he's older now, so that's off my list and I'll definitely ask how he's getting on with the Harrington food when we're picking him up.

Thanks everyone for the support Smile

Becca144

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Mon Jan 31 2022, 16:57

Hi from me & Katy, exciting times ahead for you Big Grin
Great advice already given but I will just add, give Louis a routine as all dogs need that. When you start training him make sure the whole family is doing it the same way as to not confuse him.
Look forward to seeing lots of pics of him Love Struck

This should help Big Grin https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t68009-new-how-to-post-photos-on-the-forum

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down