Struggling with getting my staffie to try different things under training.

3 posters

Go down

Dog Struggling with getting my staffie to try different things under training.

Post by tmortenk Wed Feb 12 2020, 20:34

Hello, first off all English is not my mother language, so it might not be so great!

My staffie girl is soon 9 years old, she is kinda smart, she has some toys wich are "iq" test wich she has solved.
She LOVES food (wich staffie doesnt?Tongues) And is VERY motivated by treats. So i feel she should be easy to be trained, but she simply only tries to do the same tricks all the time.

Eksample:
I been trying to teach her to touch my hand with her nose, so i started by having my hand behind my back, when i took my hand from my back she looked at it and i praised her and gave her a treat, to make her understand that it is something with this hand. It stops there, she seems too captivated by the treats so she just sits infront of me and waiting to get it.

how do i make her work for the treats? how do i make her understand that she should try diffrent things?
tmortenk
tmortenk
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Dog Re: Struggling with getting my staffie to try different things under training.

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Feb 12 2020, 21:03

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Struggling with getting my staffie to try different things under training. Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Struggling with getting my staffie to try different things under training. Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Struggling with getting my staffie to try different things under training. Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Struggling with getting my staffie to try different things under training. Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Struggling with getting my staffie to try different things under training. Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Struggling with getting my staffie to try different things under training. Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Struggling with getting my staffie to try different things under training. Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Struggling with getting my staffie to try different things under training. B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Dog Re: Struggling with getting my staffie to try different things under training.

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Feb 12 2020, 21:07

Hello and welcome from my girls and me.
Your English is more than understandable so no worries on that score !

I think you have answered your question in your post. Your staffy (like most staffies, as you say rightly) are food oriented but they are very very smart. I think your Bella knows what you want but she also knows when you’ll give up so she’s one step ahead of you Big Grin

You need to insist and insist again until she does what you ask.
I don’t like to call it stubbornness but over intelligence. A staffy knows but replies with the questions of why, when, how, before executing.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Struggling with getting my staffie to try different things under training. B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by tmortenk Wed Feb 12 2020, 21:34

Well, we have sat there for quite some time in a stare down. Nothing happens xD And i would not say she is spoiled either, becuase she rarely gets any human foods / treats just because. She is very good at listening without getting treats. Its just this issue, maybe she is spoiled when we have given her treats? And ive tried insisting, but she wont learn what she is going to do by me putting my hand on her nose :S
tmortenk
tmortenk

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by KITA90 Sun Apr 05 2020, 20:26

Why not try something a bit easier for both you and your dog. A simple 'roll over', 'sitting pretty', or 'high five' using hand instructions. Refer to you-tube for the hand instructions, I've managed to train my boy a sequence of actions within a day. Staffies are very intelligent but persistence is key. Remember, training is fun, so dont get frustrated if shes not doing the particular action you want her to do.

Use a high valued treat to train, not something she normally has. Mini sausages, chopped up carrot, apple, ham etc...

Good luck and keep us posted!

Nikita x
KITA90
KITA90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Shéara & Mollie
Dog(s) Ages : Sheara 9, Mollie 8
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down