8 week old opie - am i doing everything right?

5 posters

Go down

8 week old opie - am i doing everything right? Empty 8 week old opie - am i doing everything right?

Post by Tashabelle86 Wed Sep 05 2018, 10:04

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting. I got opie a male 8 week old on monday and i just want to make sure im doing everything right! So he sleeps in his crate, he went in there voluntarily soon as i took him home. I havent yet shut the door - when should i start doing that? He sleeps mostly through the night, cries briefly a couple of times the last 2 nights but goes back to sleep when you speak to him. He has a play pen around the crate but only when its bed time, he has free roam around my room/hall/kitchen when someone is here. He has been going toilet in the garden mostly, i take him out on the lead every time he wakes up/eats/plays. Has had a few accidents indoors but i havent told him off. Hes trying to nip me at times and chew things but ive been telling him no and giving him a chew toy if he carrys on chewing. I just want to make sure im doing everything right! Sorry for the long post!
Tashabelle86
Tashabelle86
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

8 week old opie - am i doing everything right? Empty Re: 8 week old opie - am i doing everything right?

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Sep 05 2018, 11:33

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

8 week old opie - am i doing everything right? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

8 week old opie - am i doing everything right? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

8 week old opie - am i doing everything right? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
8 week old opie - am i doing everything right? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
8 week old opie - am i doing everything right? Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
8 week old opie - am i doing everything right? Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
8 week old opie - am i doing everything right? Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

8 week old opie - am i doing everything right? B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

8 week old opie - am i doing everything right? Empty Re: 8 week old opie - am i doing everything right?

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Sep 05 2018, 11:37

Hello and welcome from us.
What a little sweetie - congratulations !

My first thoughts quickly - if you have play pen around crate, no need to ever shut door on crate (I never installed the door on mine). Have you put puppy training pad in play pen ? Will avoid accidents and you’ll find he uses it less and less to go outside instead.
Is the lead a necessity ? If not, make the most of puppy follow-me reflex to let him discover his new world (in your garden) off lead at his own pace.

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Wed Sep 05 2018, 11:41

Hi & welcome.
What's your dog's name? He looks gorgeous in your avatar pic!

To be honest, it sounds like you're well on top of everything - doing a great job by the sound of it! If he's happy in the crate without closing the door (and you can trust him not to shred the cupboards/sofas/wires etc) then leave the door open.

I'd drape a blanket over the crate, though, so that it's more cosy for him - it'll seem like a den, then, or safe place for him to retreat to when he wants.

I don't like puppy pads (just me - others get on with them well), but he'll get the hang of going out soon enough. I also wondered why a lead? Is your garden/yard not secure? As Nifty says, you can use the time to start recall training.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Tashabelle86 Wed Sep 05 2018, 12:13

Thanks for the replies! His name is Opie.. haven’t used a puppy pad over night, just taken him out a few times when he’s woken up in the night, he hasn’t had an accident the last 2 nights. I do have a blanket over his crate already, and one inside that smells of his mum and siblings. Can’t let him off the lead in my garden just yet, it’s huge and not yet puppy proofed so he could get out! I plan to sort that soon!

Sent from Topic'it App
Tashabelle86
Tashabelle86

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Wed Sep 05 2018, 12:35

What a lovely pup. It does sound like you're doing all the right things. Puppies are so sweet but such hard work.
My boy was a nightmare as a pup, nipping, chewing the furniture, climbing on the table etc. At the time it seemed endless, but it's surprising how quickly they grow up!
dizzy
dizzy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dodger
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 41

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Wed Sep 05 2018, 20:07

Well done, you! Can't really add anything to what you're already doing!

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Wed Sep 05 2018, 20:22

Sounds like you are doing a great job with Opie, he looks gorgeous Love Struck

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Tashabelle86 Wed Sep 05 2018, 20:36

Thanks everyone!

Sent from Topic'it App
Tashabelle86
Tashabelle86

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down