Hair Loss - not demodex? (pics included)

4 posters

Go down

Hair Loss - not demodex? (pics included) Empty Hair Loss - not demodex? (pics included)

Post by kkjax Sun Jun 23 2013, 23:05

Hi guys,

So my 11 week old SBT Jax has been experiencing progressive hair loss on his temples and behind his ears. I noticed when we first got him his hair was very thin there... and it's progressively gotten more bald the past 2.5 weeks we have had him. He appears to be quite itchy sometimes too... sometimes he will bite at his feet and scratch his ears more than I think would be normal. He also bites at his back legs sometimes. At the vet, they did a skin scrape and it came back negative for parasites... Now, a pup from his litter is experiecing worms as the breeder did not deworm correctly, so we've started deworming him again (vet said this might be a cause)... but vet also suggested allergies are possible. The breeder seemed to think it was due to his immune system just being stressed/developing and said I could help it by adding fish oils to his food.

Just wondering if you guys have any suggestions on building his immune system/possible experiences similar to this? Is this something he could just grow out of? Thanks! Pics below...

Hair Loss - not demodex? (pics included) 8e5c4578-b7f4-4a15-a172-18d0a6633d78_zpsc3b2da4d

Hair Loss - not demodex? (pics included) IMG_0664_zps5125e3f4
kkjax
kkjax
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Jax
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Hair Loss - not demodex? (pics included) Empty Re: Hair Loss - not demodex? (pics included)

Post by Guest Sun Jun 23 2013, 23:27

What sort of food is he getting?

Back to top Go down

Hair Loss - not demodex? (pics included) Empty Re: Hair Loss - not demodex? (pics included)

Post by kkjax Sun Jun 23 2013, 23:32

I feed him Acana puppy & junior... (have been wondering about the chicken in this)
kkjax
kkjax

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 24 2013, 12:13

The food's quite a good one, so I doubt it's that.

Is there anywhere she could be rubbing against?

Back to top Go down

Post by kkjax Mon Jun 24 2013, 18:29

Not that I know of... he is only in a crate overnight, for 2 hours in the AM, and 2 hours in the PM while I'm at work, and he's really good in the crate (just lies down and goes to sleep)... otherwise he's always supervised when my boyfriend or I are at home and I'm home most of the day. Watching him, it doesn't seem like there's any reason for those areas of his head to be experiencing hair loss. It's also odd to me that both sides of his head have the exact same pattern hair loss. Just noticed that sometimes he's itchy there - however it's really not extremely excessive itching. I've also noticed in the past week that he has got really bad dandruff.
kkjax
kkjax

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Tue Jun 25 2013, 12:07

Im not too experienced on this, but if you say she is scratching and showing a bit of dandruff it might be sensitive skin in those areas?
Maria90
Maria90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Wed Jun 26 2013, 15:22

Chiquito has bald/thin hair areas behind his ears, under his neck and on the top of his head - these areas are even and not patchy (balder in some parts to others) but in the right light do look very thin/baldy! Although he does have sensitive skin (and I have had his skin tested), these thinner areas are not 'caused' by anything as such, rather he is just naturally thinner in these areas than he is in others Smile

Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by kkjax Fri Jun 28 2013, 19:03

Good to know!
I ended up taking him to another vet for a second opinion as he started getting a little rash on his belly - turns out he has a small bacterial skin infection. He's on antibiotics for it and it looks to be clearing up nicely. Said that could have affected his hair/itchiness... but otherwise he should grow out of it or it's just something normal for him!
Otherwise, a very happy and healthy pup! Smile 
kkjax
kkjax

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Jun 28 2013, 21:07

Glad to hear it's nothing serious Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down