Would you stud your dog

+2
goldie87
brutusindubai
6 posters

Go down

Would you stud your dog Empty Would you stud your dog

Post by brutusindubai Wed Feb 13 2013, 06:01

We put Brutus in to day care the other day as both my wife and I had hectic days at work. Anyhow, when we went to pick him up, the girl who dog sits told us that a lady who was a registered breeder saw Brutus and couldn't stop talking about him. Anyhow, it got me thinking, would anyone stud there dog. I hadn't thought of it before, but if my next staff could be an exact replica of him, I would consider it.
brutusindubai
brutusindubai
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Brutus
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year, woo hoo
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Would you stud your dog Empty Re: Would you stud your dog

Post by goldie87 Wed Feb 13 2013, 09:46

I've thought about this and I'm in two minds. I would like to stud Zeus and keep one of his babies, but then there is an overload of unwanted Staffies in the UK, and it breaks my heart to see that, I wouldn't want to add to that list.
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 09:50

I hade offers to stud Bandit & I've had offers to stud Dempsey. I turned them all down.

I had to be brutally honest with myself with both dogs, because although they were/are both perfect to me, they both had faults that I wouldn't want to pass on to pups. In Bandit's case it was his size. He was over the standard & more on the 'terrier' side in build with a head that wasn't as huge as most at that time.

Dempsey was earmarked by a top breeder when he was a pup to back cross to her own bitch. However, his head didn't quite develop the way they thought it would - he doesn't have that egg-shape that is looked for, he has instanding canines and his ears are too big & too far apart! I've been asked many times to let him mate with local bitches (mainly staffords), but have turned them all down.

I have no intention of adding to the number of Stafford crosses that are in the rescue centres.

I feel that unless you intend to breed a litter that will 'better the breed' then you shouldn't breed at all - and that goes for both dogs and bitches.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 09:50

goldie87 wrote:I've thought about this and I'm in two minds. I would like to stud Zeus and keep one of his babies, but then there is an overload of unwanted Staffies in the UK, and it breaks my heart to see that, I wouldn't want to add to that list.

That is one of the worst possible reasons to breed - no offense intended! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 09:54

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t29736-do-i-need-to-breed

Will you be able to get all the needed tests? Is he registered? Will the bitch be health tested and registered? Are they both good physical examples of the breed? Are they both good temperaments? Are you willing to let your dog go to her house for a while to breed? Are you willing to do the paper work? What age is the bitch, whats her history? Same for your dog?

Its not just wham bam thank you mam, you need to look at the bigger picture.

Also, you will NEVER ever have another dog like your own, that is physically impossible. The litter could come out all white or all red bitches, then what? You can't gambe with life and breeding is a huge gamble.

Last edited by Hayley on Wed Feb 13 2013, 09:58; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 09:54

No, not for me personally. I'm totally besotted with Logan, he is my best mate and he looks like the way I like a Stafford to look (even though he probably isn't show standard).

I'd love the thought of another little Logan in my house, but what about all the other little Logan's in the litter? They could end up in terrible homes, rescues or worse!

In an ideal world yes I'd love to have Logan's pups but it will never happen as the consequences are FAR too high for me. I could never keep them all and I wouldn't trust they would be safe with others.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 09:56

Caryll wrote:
goldie87 wrote:I've thought about this and I'm in two minds. I would like to stud Zeus and keep one of his babies, but then there is an overload of unwanted Staffies in the UK, and it breaks my heart to see that, I wouldn't want to add to that list.

That is one of the worst possible reasons to breed - no offense intended! Big Grin

Agreed!! You don't just breed one for one pup.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Feb 13 2013, 09:59

If my next pup was a good-un and he did well in shows then I might consider it. But as Caryll says it would depend mainly on his conformation and also the people who wanted to use him as a stud. I wouldn't just stud him out willy-nilly and would require all bitches to be health tested and KC registered.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Panda Wed Feb 13 2013, 10:01

Never. Solly is a staffy x . Even so we are constantly asked if owners can mate their bitch with him. Surprised Also there is very little probability that any of the puppies would be an exact replica of Brutus, that comes with the knowledge of years of Line breeding and In breeding, which will produce after some time a very regular looking type.
Panda
Panda

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Solomon
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Support total : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 10:05

to put my cards on the table when i first got memphis that was my intension at some point stud him to get one of his pups but now 2 years down the line and deff 2 years more educated i now have no intension to breed from him when there is already to many staffords needing homes .
i love memphis to bits but there are slight faults that i wouldnt like to pass on to pups and also i dont think i would want a dopplganger lol.
im hoping in the near future to be extending my doggy propulation but it will deff not be related to memphy

Back to top Go down

Post by brutusindubai Wed Feb 13 2013, 10:39

I think it was the surprise of being told that he's a good looking dog. We already knew that, and yes, I am biased, as we all are over our dogs. I hadn't thought of it before for the reasons stated above. How well do you know the owners of the bitch, is she healthy, cared for, where will the pups go etc etc.

I think the only possible way I would ever consider it is if the owner of the other dog was a registered breeder who could guarantee all pups would go to a good home. Even then I would still uhm and ah over it.
brutusindubai
brutusindubai

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rescuestaffords Wed Feb 13 2013, 10:45

If I was to buy from a breeder, I would buy from a breeder who's dog have done well in the show ring or some sort of sport, such as agility. I wouldn't just buy from any breeder who bred just because the dogs a nice looking dog.

rescuestaffords
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Would you stud your dog Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 10:50

He is def a good looking dog, we'll all agree on that.

My feelings are that even if it was a registered breeder there is still absolutely no way of knowing where they could end up. People buy these dogs and give up on them within a matter of months. There are some cracking Staffords in rescue centres which blows my mind how they could end up unwanted & stuck in a stinking kennel. I saw a female Stafford advertised on a rescue site 5-6 months ago and she would have been one of the better examples of the breed I've seen, very up to the standard.

A high percentage of people don't care about dogs in the slightest. I think because we are all massive dog lovers here we sometimes think others are too, but they just aren't Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 10:52

rescuestaffords wrote:If I was to buy from a breeder, I would buy from a breeder who's dog have done well in the show ring or some sort of sport, such as agility. I wouldn't just buy from any breeder who bred just because the dogs a nice looking dog.

I dont totally agree, as a dog doing well in the show ring doesn't mean anything. I'd prefer to get from a breeder whose has done their homework, has health tested (not all show people do). Smile Or re Smile home

As for studding Kenny, no, Smile

Last edited by kenny d on Wed Feb 13 2013, 11:06; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 10:56

Hayley wrote: Are you willing to let your dog go to her house for a while to breed?

To be pernickety, the bitch always travels to the dog! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by rescuestaffords Wed Feb 13 2013, 11:00

kenny d wrote:
rescuestaffords wrote:If I was to buy from a breeder, I would buy from a breeder who's dog have done well in the show ring or some sort of sport, such as agility. I wouldn't just buy from any breeder who bred just because the dogs a nice looking dog.

I dont totally agree, as a dog doing well in the show ring doesn't mean anything. I'd prefer to get from a breeder whose has done their homework, has health tested (not all show people do). Smile

Sorry, should have said that they would be health tested for all genetic conditions. I know several people who have done amazing well in the show ring/agility etc and I would be honoured to have one of their pups if hey were to breed - but having got my hands full with my rescues, now is not the time.

rescuestaffords
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Would you stud your dog Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by brutusindubai Wed Feb 13 2013, 11:03

I really do enjoy this forum. Great comments and discussions all the time. So has anyone put there dog up for stud and why? What was the final "yes" for them?

Just to clarify, as mentioned before, I'm not planning on putting him to stud. Im interested in people's thoughts/opinions on the matter.
brutusindubai
brutusindubai

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 11:04

im also a little shocked that a reg breeder would be eyeing up a 7 month old pup also dont seem like the type of breeder i would be trusting thinking
i know she may have not been wanting to use him as this minute but at 7months he wont be giving out what he will be like mature

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 11:09

Warren wrote:im also a little shocked that a reg breeder would be eyeing up a 7 month old pup also dont seem like the type of breeder i would be trusting thinking
i know she may have not been wanting to use him as this minute but at 7months he wont be giving out what he will be like mature

This is very true. At 7 months, Dempsey was a very good example of an unexaggerated EBT, but by the time he got to 18 months his mouth had gone wrong & his ears weren't good! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 11:10

rescuestaffords wrote:
kenny d wrote:

I dont totally agree, as a dog doing well in the show ring doesn't mean anything. I'd prefer to get from a breeder whose has done their homework, has health tested (not all show people do). Smile

Sorry, should have said that they would be health tested for all genetic conditions. I know several people who have done amazing well in the show ring/agility etc and I would be honoured to have one of their pups if hey were to breed - but having got my hands full with my rescues, now is not the time.
Ah yes x

Back to top Go down

Post by brutusindubai Wed Feb 13 2013, 11:11

Sorry, I wasn't clear in the above. She wasn't asking him for stud, just made several comments on him and that he has the potential to turn in to a very good, well rounded dog. It was only at the end of the chat that she made reference to putting him into stud if he did tick all of the boxes.
brutusindubai
brutusindubai

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 11:52

brutusindubai wrote:Sorry, I wasn't clear in the above. She wasn't asking him for stud, just made several comments on him and that he has the potential to turn in to a very good, well rounded dog. It was only at the end of the chat that she made reference to putting him into stud if he did tick all of the boxes.

thumbs up aaaaaahhhhh all clear now

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 12:48

If i was a breeder or wanted to breed, and this is my own personal preference, i would only ever stud to a dog that comes from A) a very very good line C)has proven to be a good example of the breed via a show or having someone in the know looking at the dog B) belongs to a very good reputable/professional breeder C) has some sort of name for himself or the breeder has a good name (which he would if he belongs to a very good breeder)

It might be snobby but i wouldn't breed my bitch with just any old staff with a set of balls.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 12:51

No, because Loki is a cross and I wouldn't want to add to the unregistered dogs going to people and possibly ending up in bad homes or in rescues. I don't trust people Laughing. Not that there's anything wrong with dogs that aren't registered, but too many dogs with not enough good owners to go around.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 13:04

I get asked all the time by muppets who just wanna make some money because they think blue is rare.
The answer is NO.

If a professional breeder wanted my dog as stud I would maybe consider it but I highly doubt they would.

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Wed Feb 13 2013, 14:13

Caryll wrote:

Hayley wrote:
Caryll wrote:

Agreed!! You don't just breed one for one pup.

I know, which is why I wouldn't do it as I stated.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 22:34

Caryll wrote:
Warren wrote:im also a little shocked that a reg breeder would be eyeing up a 7 month old pup also dont seem like the type of breeder i would be trusting thinking

This is very true. At 7 months, Dempsey was a very good example of an unexaggerated EBT, but by the time he got to 18 months his mouth had gone wrong & his ears weren't good! Big Grin

Same here, Kenny was a good example, but he got taller lol. He still turns heads and people have only just stopped asking ( PHPV result), even though being 18inchs isn't standard.
Having experianced show people enquire about Kenny was lovely at the time, a real compliment. I was sent some lovely pic's of these dog's, that had done well at champ level. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 22:40

This is a reply from another topic that i posted,and i thought it could be here too.
Just an example. Kenny is a registered dog, nice pedigree. We had loads of people ask to use him at stud. Now, when i got Kenny, I was told he was health tested. I didnt have a clue about any of these things. So, people kept asking. We weren't sure we wanted too, as he's a pet. I got advice on studding, just the usual things. I was told to check his papers for these tests, and sadly, He was only L2 Clear. There were no other tests. So we tested, not because we decided to go for it, but if we did at a later date, we would know Kenny's health status. So off i went and got him PHPV tested. He came back "Affected". That was our minds made up. No breeding EVER. If Kenny did mate his pups WOULD be PHPV Affected, and there's no way of knowing how badly his pups would be affected. I could never allow for this to happen. I just love the Breed far to much. Breeding should be about "To Better the Breed", and to breed from affected or untested dogs is not Bettering the breed. If i were you, I'd just enjoy your dog, and leave the breeding be.
By the way, stunning dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 22:59

I absolutely agree with all the reasons why not to breed that have been listed above.

But apart from the issues mentioned, another point has always made me wonder - does using an otherwise pet dog at stud, even if only once or twice, make him start to look for something he has never experienced before? ie sex.
Sorry if this sounds naive.

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Wed Feb 13 2013, 23:14

I think we all have opinions on what we would and wouldn't do. All i would advice is gather all the information first and then sit down and think about it. I know someone who breeds rotties and he breeds a 'high standard' and follows all the guide lines plus he shows them at a high level. He is more of a stud than breeding, he may have a litter of his own every 4 years!

Breeding is not for me. there are far too many people who are in this game now and i think you have to in for the right reasons i.e competition level, but again its each to there own.
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 23:55

no Harv is unpapered and isn't a prime example of a staff he's far to big, he may be keeping his balls but won't get the chance to use them Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 14 2013, 08:01

Lynda wrote:I absolutely agree with all the reasons why not to breed that have been listed above.

But apart from the issues mentioned, another point has always made me wonder - does using an otherwise pet dog at stud, even if only once or twice, make him start to look for something he has never experienced before? ie sex.

That was one of my concerns too Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Thu Feb 14 2013, 08:07

kenny d wrote:
Lynda wrote:I absolutely agree with all the reasons why not to breed that have been listed above.

That was one of my concerns too Smile

I totally agree aswell, we had tyke done for the same sort of reason. We were getting family dog to be part of us. We just did not want to take chances plus if he had if caught a female i would have of been so upset
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down