Nails

2 posters

Go down

Smile Nails

Post by Jackieb Sun Nov 11 2012, 12:30

What a mare trying to cut their nails today !

Diesel was a bit of a pain but better than last time. She knows she gets treats if she behaves and goes with it.

Tank .... Omg the little shitebag hid in his crate and wouldn't come out, had to bribe him with hotdogs !
I guess he remembers the last time I accudently cut his nail too much and he yelped n it bled Sad

Today I just needed to trim his dew claws as they were so sharp, his other ones are nice n short from all the walks... Well had to get hubby to practically pin him down with a handful of hotdogs whilst I stealthed in and trimmed his claws, he's such a big baby lol.
Soon as I finished he looked surprised, I guess he was expecting pain !
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Smile Re: Nails

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11 2012, 13:03

Least he got hotdogs and no pain, eh? Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Nov 11 2012, 13:57

We always take Rocky to the groomers to do this, I just I am such a clutz I would do it wrong anyway. doh
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11 2012, 14:26

bought some clippers but not used them yet . When my daughter walks them its all paths etc for her safety and the dogs so that keeps them down nicely

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11 2012, 17:10

I can cut harvs but the dew claw only needs doing sometimes.

Chance you haven't a chance! in hell, he is petrified of his feet being touched never mind held, he knows what the clippers are for and gets really aggressive and will bite not nip. I've tried for months to desensitise him to it with treats etc etc and it's not made the slightest difference. It's just not going to happen with him!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11 2012, 18:28

I've never had a dog that it wasn't a battle to clip the claws of. My Dobes were the worst because their nails were as hard as - well, nails - and being black I couldn't see the quick and there were some accidents, which didn't help.

Kuchar has nice white nails (except those wretched dewclaws) so it's not so bad, but he still struggles and that's when I'm afraid I'll make a slip and catch the quick, so it all takes longer than it would if ONLY he would sit still and not struggle.

I do wonder what magic dog groomers use to clip nails without trauma.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11 2012, 22:52

We usually just do one or two at a time when she is asleep. It all over before she knows what's happening

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11 2012, 23:02

jstaff wrote:We usually just do one or two at a time when she is asleep. It all over before she knows what's happening

Well that's one way of doing it I suppose, and one that hadn't occured to me. Bit like painting the Forth Bridge though - 22 nails/days later it all starts again.

I'm just weighing it up - one nail a day forever, or a tussle once a month or so!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11 2012, 23:05

We normally only have to do the dew claws. Her walks take care of her ohter ones most of the time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11 2012, 23:17

new Staffy owner wrote:
jstaff wrote:We usually just do one or two at a time when she is asleep. It all over before she knows what's happening

Well that's one way of doing it I suppose, and one that hadn't occured to me. Bit like painting the Forth Bridge though - 22 nails/days later it all starts again.

I'm just weighing it up - one nail a day forever, or a tussle once a month or so!

Be aware it will wake them up and they might not react great.

I did it will Chance as suggested by someone else he woke up, bit me and hid in the corner Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11 2012, 23:21

Good point. I guess we've just been doing it since she was a pup so she puts up with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down