puppy biting

4 posters

Go down

puppy biting  Empty puppy biting

Post by gill_05 Wed Oct 10 2012, 11:04

hey there wonder if i could get a wee bit of advice my pup likes to bite down on fingers , clothes everything really we just got her a week ago but she no really listening to the no command or ignoring her she can start growling as well if she doesnt get her own way got kiddies in house so trying to sort this she was separeted at 3 and a half weeks from mum , she hads toys and chew toys can anyone else advice please thank you
gill_05
gill_05
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tara
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

puppy biting  Empty Re: puppy biting

Post by caz64 Wed Oct 10 2012, 11:30

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/stopyourstaffypuppybiting.html

This will help. We ignore Dusty when she bites and remove the object of desire. Smile
caz64
caz64
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dusty
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 10 2012, 11:39

The link provided is a good one. Make sure everyone does the same thing every time so the pup won't get confused. Nipping is how the express themselves at that age, just be patient and consistant and it will work itself out

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 10 2012, 12:11

Why was she taken away from mum/siblings so young? She's so very young & she's only doing something that is perfectly natural to her.

She's missed out on so much that her siblings could have taught her so now you need to do it. However, it will be slower learning!

Whenever she bites tell her (firmly but calmly) "No!" and turn away - don't even look at her until she's calm. Then you can give her gentle praise. If she carries on even though you've turned away, then put her out of the room for a minute or two. Again, gentle praise afterwards. Everybody must do the same thing, though, or she'll get confused.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 10 2012, 15:41

Her being separated so early will make it a bit harder. At her age she'd be doing that anyway, but she'd have learnt more about bite inhibition from siblings and mum, whereas now, you'll have to be the ones to do that. Caryll's advice is good, as is the link that was posted. Just make sure everyone does it every time she nips. Also, I can tell you now that it may look like she'll never stop, but she will Smile it gets better, just takes time.

Oh, and the growling is really just playful/attention-seeking, so no worries about that.

Back to top Go down

Post by astubliffhacked Thu Oct 11 2012, 00:09

noah as been biting me for 4 weeks now, does'nt bite anyone else, but his bites have calmed to a nibble/nip i use the old AH AH!! ( THANKS CARYLL)
he as even stop jumping up people now, just chews like a termite ggrrrrr!! Crying or Very sad
astubliffhacked
astubliffhacked
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Noah
Dog(s) Ages : 21 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by gill_05 Sun Oct 14 2012, 17:43

thanks for all the advice been telling her the no and making sure everyone does it as well she is full of life and always playing away , had her at the vets and she got her first jag and weighing a healthy 3kg he was really pleased with her she was separated young due to mum being aggresive with them but she is settling in well and doing well with her toilet training as well hardly has a accident Smile
gill_05
gill_05

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tara
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Tue Oct 16 2012, 17:46

good luck with it, I think they all do it and it takes a while. Very good advice above.

Don't forget the "acceptable chewing object" like an antler or Stag Bar for when she is just chewy, not bitey. I think they really NEED to chew, at least mine did and still does.
micheled
micheled
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16 2012, 18:26

Good advice from everyone above , pleased to see you're giving her a good start in life , just stick with it and you will have the most rewarding experience you could ever wish for

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down