Itchy ear

4 posters

Go down

Itchy ear Empty Itchy ear

Post by Jonno1 Thu Jun 21 2012, 20:52

My dog has a recurrent itchy ear. Have tried to apply medication (with a muzzle) but it keeps coming back. Vet has suggested applying it under anaesthetic. Anyone had a similar problem?

Jonno1
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Itchy ear Empty Re: Itchy ear

Post by janey Thu Jun 21 2012, 20:56

Moo is very prone to ear infections, its easily treated with anti-bios, what has the vet said it is? Just an itchy ear?
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Thu Jun 21 2012, 21:03

Did the vet say it was an infection?

What do you feed him? I know I'm always harping on about food but diet plays such a vital role in the health of dogs (well any animal for that matter!)

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudyblue Thu Jun 21 2012, 21:08

My old staff used to get an itchy ear sometimes,shaking his head,head drooping on the itchy side.the first time he went vets for it they gave him ear drops £45 which did nowt much really.the next time a different vet told me to just give him human drops,otex etc..and get a damp flannel wrap it around your finger and just clean the ear,he used to absolutely love it and this for me used to do the trick.the vet also said there was no worry of doing any damage as the finger with the flannel on could not go deep enough.obviously if it's an infection human drops won't work and you'll need antibiotics but if not this is what used to work for me,good luck

Rudyblue
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Denzil
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonno1 Thu Jun 21 2012, 21:10

Thnx J and G.

Doc said it was a common infection but the meds didn't work. It's a little better now but it still comes back. You can actually feel the liquid lunge in the ear. Janey how did you apply the meds? n the ear, or orally? Also thnx to Rudy - my boy would take my hand off if I rubbed the infection, so I guess it's painful.. ?

Jonno1

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jun 21 2012, 21:24

She has 2 drops, one an anti-bio which I squeeze in the ear (its a long nozzle so gets down the cannal), I then have to massage it, this is where you can hear the gunk + cleaner sound in the canal, after a few mins use a cotton wool ball, you have to be quite frim and a lot of residue will come out on the ball. After about 20mins you use the cleaner, same way as before.

Moo has had 4 in 2 years, annoyingly they won't do a repeat pescription so it costs about 50-70 £ depending if she needs the wash.

Vets making money imo!!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21 2012, 21:31

janey wrote:

Moo has had 4 in 2 years, annoyingly they won't do a repeat pescription so it costs about 50-70 £ depending if she needs the wash.

Vets making money imo!!

Ouch! Poor Moo.

I've been so lucky, I've rarely had problem ears. In fact I don't think I've ever had to see a vet about them at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21 2012, 23:07

When we have to give Suki ear drops we wait until after she is exercised and has fallen asleep. You can only get one at a time that way but it works well for us

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22 2012, 00:05

Most reoccurring ear problems are diet related, especially if its wheat based.

A mates dog had a chronic reoccurring ear infection all the time. The vets just gave antibiotics and steroids and sent her on her way each time, for it to only return once the meds finished at wits end
It was sad to see this poor dog suffering, it got so bad her ear canal swelled and she got cauliflower ear from the constant head shaking.

Is your dog licking its feet constantly too ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down