Mange

3 posters

Go down

Mange Empty Mange

Post by Lesa Fri Feb 24 2012, 01:38

Hi Guys
anyone have any advise about a registered breeder selling a pup with mange and refusing to take responabilitiy
cheers
lesa

Lesa
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jed
Dog(s) Ages : 20 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Mange Empty Re: Mange

Post by steve76 Fri Feb 24 2012, 02:48

report to rspca, blue cross and other such animal welfare society's
steve76
steve76
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24 2012, 08:52

dont get the pup. no seriously if caught early mange is easily treated witha milky substance that you soak in to kill the mites but if its not treated it can be nasty and cause all kinds of skin problems. the mange is a little mite that burrows under the skin and breeds like rats and needs to be treated. the poor dog iwll be all scabby itchy and bald in places where it has been sratching and gnawing cos the irritation is unbearable. mange is not necessarily a neglected condition we had a GSD that loved running and bounding in long grass but we had to avoid his favourite play spot because he got mange after playing in it. luckily we caught it in time i treated him for fleas cos thats what i thought the itching was untill it got bad enough to make me take him to the vet and he said mange. if we had left it he couldve been in a right state. we got a bottle of what i can ionly describe as milky shampoo to rub in all over making sure every inch of him was soaked then you leave it for 24 hours and then bath him normaly. it doesnt stink but have you ever tried getting a dog to stay still while you put something on that they dont usualy have while theyre irritated to high heaven not pleasent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chantel Fri Feb 24 2012, 09:37

It also depends on what mange it is. Sarcoptic mange is the ugly one, in which case you should not buy the puppy, and where the breeder (if registered) should be reported to the kennel union in your area. This mange is usually caused by lack of balanced or healthy feeding, dirty surroundings etc. This is extremely contagious to other dogs, and humans ( in the form of scabies). This leaves the skin red and inflamed, horribly itchy, and has crusts on the skin. This person should then by all means be reported.

On the other hand, you get the demodetic mange, which is usually not itchy, and not contageous. The dog might habe a bald patch. This mange (of which all dogs are carriers) is usually transferred from the mother to the pups in the suckling process. Patchy areas on the face and front legs are commonly the first signs, because of the suckling and the close proximity to the mother's teats. This (according to out vet, and the breeder we got the dog from), is actualy quite common in staffords, and i have done a bit of research, as our dog did develop this type of mange a few weeks after we got him. It is quite easy to treat though.
Chantel
Chantel

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maska & Loki
Dog(s) Ages : Maska 1 year and a bit & Loki 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 127

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24 2012, 10:13

Duke of Lorraine wrote:It also depends on what mange it is. Sarcoptic mange is the ugly one, in which case you should not buy the puppy, and where the breeder (if registered) should be reported to the kennel union in your area. This mange is usually caused by lack of balanced or healthy feeding, dirty surroundings etc. This is extremely contagious to other dogs, and humans ( in the form of scabies). This leaves the skin red and inflamed, horribly itchy, and has crusts on the skin. This person should then by all means be reported.

On the other hand, you get the demodetic mange, which is usually not itchy, and not contageous. The dog might habe a bald patch. This mange (of which all dogs are carriers) is usually transferred from the mother to the pups in the suckling process. Patchy areas on the face and front legs are commonly the first signs, because of the suckling and the close proximity to the mother's teats. This (according to out vet, and the breeder we got the dog from), is actualy quite common in staffords, and i have done a bit of research, as our dog did develop this type of mange a few weeks after we got him. It is quite easy to treat though.

you gopt there before me chanty thumbs up yes as said it all depends which type of mange we are talking about

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24 2012, 10:26

Is this a pup that had noticable mange when it was bought, or one that developed mange soon afterwards?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24 2012, 10:27

I agree it depends what mange the pup has .. but there is still the fact that the breeder isnt caring to get the vet to look at it? if he is then thats good if not then tell him he needs to get the pup checked out asap if its the contagious type ALL the pups possibly need to be treated, if not then just the infected pup still needs to be treated, as they are in his care he legally has to seek veterinary attention or its cruelty/neglect.
I threw all this at skye's breeder aswell who neglected to flea, worm and inoculate her and her brothers! i took skye and reported him to the RSPCA, sadly when i found all this out her brothers had all been given to new homes so when i went to pick skye up there was no other pups there for the RSPCA to see, however they did see the state of my poor skye and penalized him on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24 2012, 10:28

Caryll wrote:Is this a pup that had noticable mange when it was bought, or one that developed mange soon afterwards?

looking at pups age im thinking the latter Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24 2012, 10:32

If it's afterwards, then it's just one of those things & the breeder isn't responsible! All dogs are born with Demodectic Mange mites, passed to them from the dam at birth. They usually just muddle along in tiny numbers & don't cause any problems. Sometimes, though, a change in circumstances (move to a new home, anxiety from injury or fireworks etc) can cause the mites to multiply rapidly & that's when they cause problems.

If it's Sarcoptic Mange, then the breeder should be made aware, and the bitch should not be bred from again!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24 2012, 10:42

Caryll wrote:If it's afterwards, then it's just one of those things & the breeder isn't responsible!

Surely he should still have it checked on by a vet tho .. i know if i bred and one of the pups had mange born or after birth that pup would be checked by a vet serious or not, to be safe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24 2012, 10:46

What I mean is, if the pup develops mange after it has gone to its new home, then the breeder isn't responsible. Obviously if it is showing signs og mange in the nest then it should be checked by a vet immediately!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24 2012, 10:47

Ohhh! got ya, yea then its down to the new owner, got you Smile

Back to top Go down

Mange Empty bad breeders

Post by Lesa Wed Feb 29 2012, 01:38

Caryll wrote:Is this a pup that had noticable mange when it was bought, or one that developed mange soon afterwards?
Hey darl,
the pup was always a bit light on the Coat and can clearly see all his spots and markings but i just thought it was that kind Pide id always owned brindle the pup is 19 weeeks old now i bought him at 8 weeks old and its the type of mange transfered by mother not the bad one but still im devastated as i wanted to breed with him the registered so called breeder is from Carins name Kim Barrett please all stay clear of this breeder refusing take any kind of responibility for it even after a vets report was offered.
cheers
Lesa at wits end

Lesa

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Mange Empty bad breeder

Post by Lesa Wed Feb 29 2012, 06:59

staffy-lover89 wrote:Ohhh! got ya, yea then its down to the new owner, got you Smile

well i done all i can do is report it like i have good luck selling the next litter try oz dogs on line point2.
And RSCPA have a mad radom Visit program going.

Lesa

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 29 2012, 12:02

At least once it's treated & under control the pup should be fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down