allergic reaction

3 posters

Go down

allergic reaction Empty allergic reaction

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 11:53

Russell we have just noticed is covered in lumps and bumps and around his eye is all swollen, I know on here people have talked about giving half a tab of a certain antihistamine so I called my vet to see if any of the ones we have here would be safe (its 10:30 on a friday night) and he doesn't seem in any danger his breathing and heart rate is fine he's just super itchy and uncomfortable.

we have fexofenadine hydrochloride (xergic) and Loratadine (lorastyne) which my boyfriend takes for hayfever, but the vet just told us to come in and get a shot.

- fair enough but I don't want to pay through the roof for an emergency out of hours shot when he's not in immediate danger, i just wish she would tell me if our stuff is safe for him!

i think we might just let it go, he is sleeping now, but gets up every now and then wanting to itch himself.

ideas?

Back to top Go down

allergic reaction Empty Re: allergic reaction

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:00

Can't be of any help since I'm not familiar with either of the meds you have on hand. We used to give our Bulldog Benadryl for her allergies. It doesn't sound as if it is an anaphalatic reaction which could be very serious. Usually if a situation is an emergency it presents very quickly and you will know it's an emergency.

I'm not an expert or a vet though. Could you posts a pic so people will be able to see the issue?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:05

i know some people give their dog a half a piriton which is only a couple of quid from the chemist cheaper than an out of hours vet call but if you are really worried then maybe the vet would be the best option this time then if it happens again you will know how to deal with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:05

well I have done a quick search and it seems loratadine is used by a lot of people for their dogs allergies.

these hives or whatever I think haven't appeared that quickly, we've been sitting in the dark watching movies so only noticed when I took him out to the kitchen for a look because he had been licking his feet a lot.

we went to a friends place before dinner tonight and Russell did a lot of running in amongst their bushes in the garden and was rolling around in the garden, he also went for a swim in their salt water/chlorine swimming pool, which he has never been in before so I figured this may have something to do with it.

I'm keeping a close eye but I don't think we'll get the shot as he seems fine... when the vet calls back (shes busy atm) I will ask her about the loratadine

Back to top Go down

Post by Allison Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:06

Piriton is what we used luckily Duke has only been stung once and it was very affective but not sure if that is available where you are hun - luckily my friends are vet nurses so took advice from them.
Allison
Allison
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
allergic reaction Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Duke and Dhaysi
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:07

Hope everything turns out okay

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:08

I think my vet always wants to do the extreme - when he had a huntsman bite on his face they told us to come straight in for a shot - we didnt because he seemed ok and this was also out of hours and $$$ and he was absolutely fine, the swelling went down within half a day.

he's been sleeping happily for about 20 min now. (and i'm watching him closely)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:09

Allison wrote:Piriton is what we used luckily Duke has only been stung once and it was very affective but not sure if that is available where you are hun - luckily my friends are vet nurses so took advice from them.

I so wish I was friends with a vet!!! I would feel a lot more comfortable to trust they were doing the right thing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:10

Poor thing, I hope he feels better soon! I have no idea what the cause could be as I am very green when it comes to medical issues with animal... e.g.: Vlad had a huge lump on his neck for nearly 2 weeks: he ate a wasp! One thing we've learnt from people we know with staffs is they are prone to sensitive skin... may the chlorine irritated him... eye areas are always delicate. Give him a big hug Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:11

P.S A friend of my mum's is a vet, so he was able to tell me all was good! Like you, I wish I was friends with a vet! It costs more for Vlad's health than for ours LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Allison Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:12

It is very handy have to say they are brilliant always there to give advice and reassurance Smile
Allison
Allison
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
allergic reaction Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Duke and Dhaysi
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:12

alicia can I ask which vet you use? I've been at eaglehawk road but im not sure I want to stick with them... its hard to choose a good vet!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:16

We have been using the vets at Kangaroo Flat: They seem to be really nice! Our cat Dita was desexed (through the R.S.P.C.A, so it was their choice) at the vets on eaglehawk road. We are so new to it all we have been playing it by ear! Dita (touch wood) has been so healthy that she hasn't needed to go to the vet other than for her booster shots. I get the feeling Vlad is going to be a bit more high maintenance! LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:18

Tony Mellor his name is Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:21

ah ok I have always wondered about the kflat one, never known any one who used them. I just met our vet because they were doing the cheap microchipping when we got Russ done.

the vet just called back and said she'd rather I didnt give him the loratadine but she said if he's relaxed and not stressed out by it then he should be ok. but to call her if it gets bad, I think it's calming down though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:23

Good to hear

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:30

I hope he sleeps okay through the night! I hope you get some sleep too. We went with the Kangaroo Flat one because it is closest if we need anything (and I am a panic merchant and stress!). They seem really nice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 12:36

Poor russell hope he is feeling better

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 14:43

He may have had contact with some kind of nettle plant in the strange garden. I recall Endo's mum sending me images of a similar thing he had. We went through her garden and found the offending plant.

My cousin is a vet and he has told me that dogs can be given most over the counter meds we humans take. HOWEVER you need to be very careful with the dosage. Calculate the dogs weight to average human weight and adjust the dose accordingly. Rather give less than too much. This been said though, it is always advisable to consult your vet if possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 15:18

I did end up giving him the tablet, just because he is so itchy and wanted to help him. it may have been silly but I did do a bit of research online.

unfortunately it doesnt seem to have helped, he now has more spots of 'hives' if thats what we call them... nothing has gone down... just constant. its 2:20am now (Im staying up to try and be on Uganda time as we leave tomorrow) i really hope Russ is ok tomorrow. we are def taking him to the vet if not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Fri Dec 30 2011, 15:28

Hope Russell is doing better. I'm so grateful to have a friend who is my vet and she is mobile and on call 24/7. Sorry it can be the worst waiting! All the best for your trip!
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 16:11

Well, turns out, I had a look at him not long after I posted that and he was getting worse, so I called the vet back and we went down to the clinic to get him a shot. poor little bugger.

felt so terrible dragging the vet out of bed at 3am when we could have had it done at 11pm... oooh well. she was very nice and also checked out Russell's sutures from his neutering op and said they were healing very well.

I'm just happy I can rest my head now and not worry... even if it did set me back plenty of $$$ confused

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Fri Dec 30 2011, 16:28

Aww bless Russell, hope he is ok now!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 18:45

Hey thats what vets are for. Glad your mind is at rest and Russell is ok. Bon Voyage and enjoy Afrika. Just hope the mozzies dont get ya.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 23:20

Hope he will be okay and that your mind is at ease before your trip. Have fun and be safe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 30 2011, 23:24

I hope he's feeling better! Enjoy your trip!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 31 2011, 01:09

thanks every one, definitely happier to leave him with our friends knowing he is ok.
he still has a bit of swelling around his eyes and his scrotum looks like its full again and red still, but im sure it will deflate soon enough Tongues

he is quite happy now tearing up a TV box which he has been working on for three days now. our lounge room looks like a tip - cardboard every where

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down