+4
Scubasteve
Aniemother
jshrew
janey
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jogging with the dogs. Empty Jogging with the dogs.

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 16:15

Anyone go jogging with theres, on our walk today we jogged for about half of it my legs ache from it but my did the pooches love it lol deffinantly gonna be doing it more. x

Back to top Go down

Jogging with the dogs. Empty Re: Jogging with the dogs.

Post by janey Sun Dec 04 2011, 16:20

Erm, no! Jogging sounds like hard work, I'd be on the floor after a minute Laughing
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 16:27

I could only dream of jogging now.. * sigh * ... My surgeon told me I need a knee reconstruction so my jogging days are well and truly over..

Lucky you!! Smile Bet the boys loved it though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 16:43

A year ago i couldnt even jog for a sec without being out off puff but since upping the walking with thedogs at least an hour a day normaly 20 mins in morning and hour too hour n half after work sometimes even another 20mins-30 mins at night. Ive improved my oh said too me a year ago you wouldnt have been able too have done that we were jogging for about 20-25 mins i had stan n tara the oh had hooch i had the two most difficult who like to try trip you up haha but they did love it even golden oldie tara.

Ohs gonna start bike riding with hooch in the mornings as people keep saying hooch is fat, its just his winter blubber thou bless him. x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 17:02

Wow the word jog brings me out in a sweat
Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 17:13

lynne wrote:Wow the word jog brings me out in a sweat
Big Grin

Haha Smile x

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Dec 04 2011, 17:15

Yep I jog with Ledger tho we haven't been out for a while we normally do 3-5 miles I've got a handsfree lead which makes things alot easier
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 17:23

do you have a link for the lead i was thinking of getting something so its easier too job with them lol Smile x

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Sun Dec 04 2011, 17:24

Well done! I'd love to start jogging with Gummi - it's just that I'm way too lazy. Hopefully my boyfriend will, though, once Gummi is a little older.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 17:27

Just seeing how much the dogs love it made me wanna go further, my calf started too ache thou haha, could only do it cos oh was with me i think i end up on me butt with all 3 lol x

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Dec 04 2011, 17:40

http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/leads/hands-free-waist-lead.html

this is the one I have Smile although I have been lazy I got a place in the london marathon and training starts this week :S so Ledger needing to go out anyway is a motivation to get me off the sofa and quite glad of having a companion out with me for the morning or evening runs in the dark

I'm also tempted at some point to try one of the canix events http://cani-cross.co.uk
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Sun Dec 04 2011, 17:45

I used to run up until I had the kids. I used to train 5-6 days a week and raced competitively. My sheepdog used to join me on the training sessions that I wasn't up the track for, he absoultely loved it. And it was a great way of exercising him in a short time. We would do a 30min run followed by a training session of 2 min runs etc, then a 15-20min walm down.

I would like to start back training again, but with the kids it hasn't be easy. I ran with Tinkerbell the other night and she loved it. I thought she would get all excited and jump at me but she just plodded along by my side. So I am thinking that I may start with her once I finish uni.

I used to run Cadi on the halti because I found I had more control over him and it prevented him crossing over in front of me a bit. And I used a soft webbing training lead on him, so that it wasn't too heavy to carry, and when he was off I could tie it over my shoulder and across my front.
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 17:57

I'd love to jog with Monty, but he's still not liking his lead. When I take him for a walk, we're only out for about 15 minutes, because the majority of the time he goes on strike and sits on the floor !

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 18:14

I've tried with Suki but she wants to sprint and then will want to stop and sniff something random.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 18:15

jshrew wrote:http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/leads/hands-free-waist-lead.html

this is the one I have Smile although I have been lazy I got a place in the london marathon and training starts this week :S so Ledger needing to go out anyway is a motivation to get me off the sofa and quite glad of having a companion out with me for the morning or evening runs in the dark

I'm also tempted at some point to try one of the canix events http://cani-cross.co.uk

They look good, they look better for the one dog only, the cani cross looks like a great idea. x

Scubasteve wrote:I used to run up until I had the kids. I used to train 5-6 days a week and raced competitively. My sheepdog used to join me on the training sessions that I wasn't up the track for, he absoultely loved it. And it was a great way of exercising him in a short time. We would do a 30min run followed by a training session of 2 min runs etc, then a 15-20min walm down.

I would like to start back training again, but with the kids it hasn't be easy. I ran with Tinkerbell the other night and she loved it. I thought she would get all excited and jump at me but she just plodded along by my side. So I am thinking that I may start with her once I finish uni.

I used to run Cadi on the halti because I found I had more control over him and it prevented him crossing over in front of me a bit. And I used a soft webbing training lead on him, so that it wasn't too heavy to carry, and when he was off I could tie it over my shoulder and across my front.

SOunds like you had a good trainning plan Smile x

BullyMonty wrote:I'd love to jog with Monty, but he's still not liking his lead. When I take him for a walk, we're only out for about 15 minutes, because the majority of the time he goes on strike and sits on the floor !

Montys still young, stan use too do that stop and refuse but if you stop and let him win he will keep doing it i just kept gently encouraging stan too walk he soon got the idea.

I just went out with all 3 jogging on and off for nearly 30 mins, put the boys on the coupler, tara bless couldnt keep up she did earlier so i think if i carry on doing the jogging i will leave her at home.

My legs hurt haha, boys couldnt get enough stan kept turning and checking i was behind him lol. Smile x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 18:16

jstaff wrote:I've tried with Suki but she wants to sprint and then will want to stop and sniff something random.

Lol boys try sprinting i just have too keep correctingn them too stay by my side. tara likes stopping and sniffing not good when you dont realise and jolts your arm x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 18:25

Very true. I am hoping she will grow out of it or to find a spot where nothing really intrests her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 18:27

jstaff wrote:Very true. I am hoping she will grow out of it or to find a spot where nothing really intrests her.

Im sure with time she will get better it wasnt till just under a year ago stan started walking too heal. x

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Sun Dec 04 2011, 18:34

jstaff wrote:Very true. I am hoping she will grow out of it or to find a spot where nothing really intrests her.
Why not just train her to only stop and sniff when she's allowed to? When I only had Bajas I didn't mind stopping, really, but when I had three I really couldn't let them stop every time one of them found something interesting. So I made rules - as long as I'm walking they walk, when I paused they could sniff. When off leash they are free to sniff when they want (unless I call them). It really makes things so much easier! Oh - and I taught them a "that's enough" cue that I would use a few seconds before I resumed walking so they knew that this was the time to leave a pee-mail if that was something they wanted to do. Laughing
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Sun Dec 04 2011, 19:14

Yeah I did, I was a member of a local athletic group, and my coach was fab. He is still happy to take me back and has given me a schedule to get back into it. I did try a few months back but found it hard going. Now I have Tinkerbell might just start up again but doubt I will ever race again because I haven't the time to train properly Sad
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 04 2011, 19:19

Aniemother wrote:
Why not just train her to only stop and sniff when she's allowed to? When I only had Bajas I didn't mind stopping, really, but when I had three I really couldn't let them stop every time one of them found something interesting. So I made rules - as long as I'm walking they walk, when I paused they could sniff. When off leash they are free to sniff when they want (unless I call them). It really makes things so much easier! Oh - and I taught them a "that's enough" cue that I would use a few seconds before I resumed walking so they knew that this was the time to leave a pee-mail if that was something they wanted to do. Laughing

We're working on it but it's going slowly.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Dec 04 2011, 19:32

Aniemother wrote: and I taught them a "that's enough" cue that I would use a few seconds before I resumed walking so they knew that this was the time to leave a pee-mail if that was something they wanted to do. Laughing
Laughing
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon Dec 05 2011, 06:00

Yep. I run with Monte but I also run him on the bike as he loves an all out run. Great way to get two things done at once! I'm hoping I get a waist lead for Xmas!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05 2011, 09:32

I can usually jog about 1.5km with Tyson before it gets too much for me but he really needs to go faster and I aint fit enough. Bought a bicycle to try him with but that is not going to happen. I am far to nervous on the bike. So I am going to sell and and look at getting a motorised scooter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05 2011, 10:56

I just recently brought a new bike, been out twice the tyres keep getting punchers Sad i was cycling with a flat back tyre for about 20mins and didnt even realise lol good job stan was pulling me along lol.

I use too take stan for a bike ride all the time but i still have scars from what happened last summer, didnt realise he needed a number 2 he stopped i carried on went * over * and ended up with grazed knees n grazed hands which have left scars, ill always have a reminder of my boy thou lol.

Love bike riding s do the boys. x

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Thu Dec 08 2011, 19:39

Shelly I blame you for being shattered Laughing Decided to dig out my training gear and take Tinkerbell for a run, she loved it but refused to run on her halti, so we did run a little faster than planned because she more or less set the pace Laughing

Still did a good 20 min run with no stopping (except a 2 second dump drop) Laughing managed to do a route which takes me and the kids an hour to walk, and we did it in 20 mins so not a bad pace to begin with.
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 20:08

Jeez Karin, that's some low flying. Don't think my jogging pace is much faster than my walking speed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Thu Dec 08 2011, 20:48

Lol thanks, have no energy now though. Tinkerbell is snoring the loudest I have ever heard her Laughing Think she may be shattered too.

Meant to come and have a nose on here while I ate tea before a bath, still haven't got up yet for my bath though Laughing
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 20:59

Haha, well i wont say sorry cos i bet tink loved it hehe Smile think i may try and take mine for another jog tomorrow morning, ive only just recovered from the other day haha Smile x

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Thu Dec 08 2011, 21:01

Laughing she did indeed, I have never seen her smile like that before she was really enjoying it and prancing along as if to say "come on mum, what you waiting for". Good luck with your jog tomorrow if you go Big Grin
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 21:04

Bless her Smile im sure i will then take a few days too recover pmsl Smile x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 21:09

matthew goes jogging and said he might take one of the dogs and see how they go. he couldnt take them both at once but one at a time he said he might try. theres lots of people go with dogs seems good exercise for everyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 21:12

Its great fun, i just hurt in my legs after lol, i job with all 3 together lol Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Thu Dec 08 2011, 21:29

One is enough for me too, will have to persuade her to wear her halti while running though as I can control the pace then.

I did use to love training with my last dog, and he loved the excerise. We did live in a better area there though and were spoilt for choice with places to run, here it is a lot different Sad

Must have been a good run though, because I still haven't got up for a bath because my legs are aching! Really must go for one though, it's getting late and I stink Laughing
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 21:33

Haha Laughing does it hurt when you walk up stairs, sit down stand up etc it did me lol x

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Dec 08 2011, 21:37

Unfortunately since haveing 4 screws and a plate in my lower leg/ankle in April following a motorcycle accident, I still find running very painful Sad ... I have tried running Max around whilst riding my mountain bike, and that was great fun Big Grin ... good on ya Shelly Wink
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 22:04

I did a jog with Monty tonight .. he was brilliant ... nut he got a bit stubborn on the way back and walked, sat, walked, sat then he started whimpering .. but it was still a good jog none the less : )

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 09 2011, 08:37

wish i could jog

day dreaming

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Fri Dec 09 2011, 10:13

Yes Shelly it did last night, was aching everywhere and I certainly know how it feels to ache when walking upstairs. When I used to train properly, after a hard session I would take ages walking down the stairs the next morning.....must have looked a right site Laughing

But woke up this morning feeling fine Big Grin No aching or stiffness, so the warm bath did me a whole lot of good!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Fri Dec 09 2011, 10:16

Maria. wrote:I did a jog with Monty tonight .. he was brilliant ... nut he got a bit stubborn on the way back and walked, sat, walked, sat then he started whimpering .. but it was still a good jog none the less : )

Well done, can't have been easy jogging with a little puppy. I found it hard enough with Tinkerbell and she did know she was supposed to run by my side. Where did you go for a jog? I'm finding it hard up here with the lack of nice places to walk. Used to live in Pembrey, on the road to the country park so was spoilt for choice of nice places to walk.
I would say though, watch how much you do jog with Monty as his legs are still growing and his bones developing and too much exercise early on, especially pounding when runnng may cause long term damage.
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 09 2011, 10:37

Scubasteve wrote:
Maria. wrote:I did a jog with Monty tonight .. he was brilliant ... nut he got a bit stubborn on the way back and walked, sat, walked, sat then he started whimpering .. but it was still a good jog none the less : )

Well done, can't have been easy jogging with a little puppy. I found it hard enough with Tinkerbell and she did know she was supposed to run by my side. Where did you go for a jog? I'm finding it hard up here with the lack of nice places to walk. Used to live in Pembrey, on the road to the country park so was spoilt for choice of nice places to walk.
I would say though, watch how much you do jog with Monty as his legs are still growing and his bones develop
ing and too much exercise early on, especially pounding when runnng may cause long term damage.

Hey Karen : )

Yeah it was only a very brisk jog, but he was by my side all the way, I just wanted to break him in very slightly and see how he takes to it. He is still quite edgy with the noises outsiode i.e the traffic, as I am smack bang on the main road ! I live just up from the Libert Stadium, Neath Road, so I take walk him up the top of the street and back in the evenings because where I would normally take him (Fendrod Lake), it's not lit up in the night time. But I've started extending his walk now, up the street, across the bridge over the d/carridgeway, right to the bottom of the bridge and back up again : ) I really need to get a coat for him ...

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Fri Dec 09 2011, 18:36

I dont going running with my dogs but they run at the side of my bike..
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Fri Dec 09 2011, 22:36

I used to when they were younger and they loved it Big Grin
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Sat Dec 10 2011, 21:03

Maria. wrote:
Scubasteve wrote:

I would say though, watch how much you do jog with Monty as his legs are still growing and his bones develop
ing and too much exercise early on, especially pounding when runnng may cause long term damage.

Hey Karen : )

Yeah it was only a very brisk jog, but he was by my side all the way, I just wanted to break him in very slightly and see how he takes to it. He is still quite edgy with the noises outsiode i.e the traffic, as I am smack bang on the main road ! I live just up from the Libert Stadium, Neath Road, so I take walk him up the top of the street and back in the evenings because where I would normally take him (Fendrod Lake), it's not lit up in the night time. But I've started extending his walk now, up the street, across the bridge over the d/carridgeway, right to the bottom of the bridge and back up again : ) I really need to get a coat for him ...

Sorry didn't mean to belittle you or anything.

We walked over those bridges a lot in the summer. Tinkerbell hates them, and zooms across as quick as she can. I used to walk her from here down waun wen road into town across the bridges, down high street and through town to the marina, then we walked around the marina and back through town to the police station and up that hill (no idea what it's called) past the metropolitan uni and back to the other side of mayill to get home. Gutted now it is darker as we can't go as many places up here now in the evenings because I don't think it is that safe. Especially after reading in the paper about a girl being attacked in town at 7.30pm, same time as I used to walk into town in the summer! Sad

Bless Monty, sounds like he is slowly getting there though. I also need to get Tinker a coat, she is hating this cold weather!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 11 2011, 12:40

Didnt manage too go for a jog the other day but we have just been for one we went out for 40mins about 15 mins of that was jogging i lasted longer than the other half lol he was pooped before me and had a stitch pmsl. x

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Sun Dec 11 2011, 14:12

Well done Shelly, that's fab! Laughing poor oh, bet he moaned about his stitch too!

I was going to go for one yesterday, but was feeling really rough last night. Found out why in the middle of the night, turned out I seem to have a stomach bug so glad I didn't run last night!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 11 2011, 14:46

Lol, he was shocked i out done him thats for sure yeah i said for the last few minutes of the walk should we do jogging only done the road too our house he couldnt manage it cos of his sitch lol, this time last year i couldnt even jog 5 metres without being out of breath all the extra walking ive been doing has paid off, plan on going for another this evening just me and all three of them lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Sun Dec 11 2011, 16:19

Good luck, I wouldn't manage more than one for a run. Tinkerbell is enough of a handful!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 11 2011, 17:45

Scubasteve wrote:

Sorry didn't mean to belittle you or anything.

We walked over those bridges a lot in the summer. Tinkerbell hates them, and zooms across as quick as she can. I used to walk her from here down waun wen road into town across the bridges, down high street and through town to the marina, then we walked around the marina and back through town to the police station and up that hill (no idea what it's called) past the metropolitan uni and back to the other side of mayill to get home. Gutted now it is darker as we can't go as many places up here now in the evenings because I don't think it is that safe. Especially after reading in the paper about a girl being attacked in town at 7.30pm, same time as I used to walk into town in the summer! Sad

Bless Monty, sounds like he is slowly getting there though. I also need to get Tinker a coat, she is hating this cold weather!

It's ok you haven't belittled me : ) I put his lead on him yesterday and he shot out the front door, haha. My sister took him for a walk up the road and back last night and she ended up having to carry him Laughing See there is no bond like mother and "son" .. he'll walk for me ; )

That is quite a walk you do there, but can believe it's a lovely walk when the weather is brighter and warmer. I know the hill you're talking about, be safe wherever you go !

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 11 2011, 18:42

Went and took all 3 out was doing jogging one road walking another jogging the next etc lol, i have them police style leads so i wasnt even holding stans lead he just ran beside me near the end i put hoochs lead round me too and ran with them both like it tara is too short too do it with her police lead lol.

Im really enjoying doing the running with them they love it so do i Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next