Lead training

3 posters

Go down

Lead training Empty Lead training

Post by Maxien78 Sun Nov 06 2011, 13:22

We have 2 weeks to get Sapphire used to wearing and walking on a lead.

We managed to get her to wear a collar but she constantly scratched at it so we got her a harness instead. At first she didn't really care about it but now she runs a mile whenever she see's it come off its hook. She runs and hides in her safe corner which is in my washing basket in the kitchen lol.

We try her on it a few times a day but she gets really nervous with it. How can we make it easier for her? We have less than 2 weeks to get her used ot it. This is when she is ok to go out and about which i know she will love. We have tried letting her play with the harness and lead, whn we do get it on her we let her run arround the house with it, but now all she does is go to her safe corner or her bed and lie there, no trats or toys help her move.
Maxien78
Maxien78
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sapphire
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Lead training Empty Re: Lead training

Post by janey Sun Nov 06 2011, 13:43

Perserverence and patience, I would start with ther collar, get her used to that first, then clip the lead on and let her wander with that on, play with her as a disraction but don't make an issue out of it. Gradually build it up and build her confidence up too. 2 weeks is a long time she'll get there Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Nov 06 2011, 13:52

We have the Harness Game with Rocky every time we go out. I have to sit on a chair so he can walk around me a few times then Andy can put the harness on. We now cannot mention the word HARNESS without Rocky going nuts. It is now just the H as in "Shall we go out then first have to put the H on". Laughing

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06 2011, 14:23

I'd persevere with a collar first. It could be quite frightening for a little'un to suddenly be strapped into a straightjacket! Big Grin

Just put it on & leave it on - she will scratch at it for a while, but if you play with her & distract her she'll get used to it. Then attach a lead & let her drag it round before you even attempt to pick it up. Then you can pick it up & let her lead you around before you try & direct her with a little tug on the lead.

It'll come.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxien78 Sun Nov 06 2011, 15:17

Thanks. This is just all of asudden. She was fine for a while but something has spooked her into not liking it. She didn't really care about the harness or the lead at one point but now she hates them both.

I'll keep trying but i'm hoping once we start taking her out she will associate the lead and harness with going out to enjoy herself.
Maxien78
Maxien78

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sapphire
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content