Training pads for adult dog?

4 posters

Go down

Training pads for adult dog? Empty Training pads for adult dog?

Post by spuker1 Thu Sep 01 2011, 17:03

Recently we've been leaving Mambo alone at home for a bit longer, for about 4-5 hours (have to go to work!) and sometimes he pees on the carpet... Sad Sometimes he does it during the night too... He has this problem since we adopted him 4 months ago, I don't think he was properly houstrained before. It seems like he got used to the regular walking times (4 a day, including one long walk) and he knows that's his toilet time. But he can still go back home and pee on the carpet in between his walks, when we're not there or we're asleep in the other room... He can be OK for a week, and then surprise us for another 3 days in row.

I was considering using puppy pads when we're not at home (I have to save the carpet!), but I'm not sure i dont know - can they actually encourage him to pee at home? I'd rather him to stop peeing on the carpet at all, I don't want him to get used to peeing on the pads...
We're cleaning the carpet using special carpet cleaner foam and then just poring some vanilla oil on it to kill the scent but I'm not sure if it's actually working, but I'm pretty sure that his peeing is not marking thing...
spuker1
spuker1
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Training pads for adult dog? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mambo
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2

http://tsphotography.org

Back to top Go down

Training pads for adult dog? Empty Re: Training pads for adult dog?

Post by janey Thu Sep 01 2011, 17:31

Personally I wouldn't reccomend them, even for pups, I do believe they don't so much encourage toileting in the house but makes it ok. When I first rescued Moo she was a nightmare for pooing over night, and I mean everywhere. Not her fault I know but I also don't think she was totally house trained. Is there anyway someone could let him out for 5 mins in the day? A pain to start with but he should be able to go 4/5 hours without peeing, and by increasing and encouraging going outside then he will catch on.

Is everything ok down there too? If he is usually fine, but then suddenly wetting maybe a trip to the vets to check things out. I don't think there is an easy answer, but imo I wouldn't use pads Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Thu Sep 01 2011, 18:22

yes there's definitely no easy answer Big Grin
i came back home now and everything was ok.
my worries about the pads are exactly the same as yours, but i was looking for some quick solution and that's the only one i found...

one of us is always coming home for lunch to let him out for a wee so it's never longer than 4 hours without his 'toilet time'.

he still got problems with 'submissive urination' (i explained it in another post) so maybe he's still learning that he can't 'just' pee at home too?

i was wondering about medical side of this as well - one night he was sick, weed and pood on the floor (imagine the cleaning i had to do on this lovely saturday morning) because he had upset stomach so that was obvious reason.
we will probably take him to the vets soon if nothing improves.

spuker1
spuker1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Sep 01 2011, 18:32

I did take Moo to the vets, we had to do stool samples for a week, imagine my embaresment @ 7.30 in the morning and all these classy soliciters (I live by one) where walking past me, knelt on the pavement putting her poo into a test tube, not amusing (!) Laughing

It came back clear. She did learn not to go indoors, but it took time. Hers wasn't urination though, always number twos. I think in time he will twig, and yes could all be inter linked. I wouldn't use pads as there isn't a quick fix. He'll get there Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Thu Sep 01 2011, 18:44

yes, there's no quick fix Sad there never is... i was rather thinking about the ways how i can save my carpet until Mambo gets there... Tongues

we'll keep going with the training, same walking times and everything we've been doing for the last four months, because Mambo made amazing progress already
spuker1
spuker1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Sep 01 2011, 18:51

Yep I get the carpet thing, my place was a new build with lovely cream carpets! Not so lovely after 2 years!! I used to cover the area she could go in with sheets from a charity shop, but again easier with no;2's.

Progress can seem slow, but he will get there. He is a stunner btw, do love your pics when you upload. Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Thu Sep 01 2011, 19:53

thanks Smile Blushing
spuker1
spuker1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sab44 Thu Sep 01 2011, 23:12

Also be careful what you use to clean the carpet where he's peed, a lot of household cleaners dont actually break down the odour, so that while we may not be able to smell the pee anymore, the dog still can and so will be more likely to pee in that spot again, and a lot of them contain ammonia which would be similar to the scent of urine to the dog. Use an enzymatic cleaner, this will break down and neutralise the odour, you'd get one in most pet shops. Alternatively using biological washing powder to clean the soiled area works well Smile
sab44
sab44
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01 2011, 23:35

I used biological washing liquid diluted in some warm water to clear up pee. It gets rid of the pee itself, and the urine smell.

I know 4 months seems a long time, but to a rescue dog, that's nothing. It's possible that he still sometimes gets a little anxious, and that's when he pees.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 02 2011, 03:56

I've always used the pads. It may indeed make housebreaking a bit harder but if you can keep the accidents into the house to just one spot it does save the carpet. Plus there are times you may have to be gone longer than you thought and the pads save you from worry while you are out.

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Fri Sep 02 2011, 21:14

Caryll wrote:
I know 4 months seems a long time, but to a rescue dog, that's nothing. It's possible that he still sometimes gets a little anxious, and that's when he pees.

that's exactly what I think... it seems long to us, but considering that he was at the shelter for over 3 months, he's with us just 1 month longer then he was there...
but as i said before, he's made amazing progress already so I believe it can only get better.

he didn't mess at home at all today so I'm really proud of him Smile
spuker1
spuker1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by lexiepb Wed Sep 07 2011, 20:34

i was wonderinf if any one could give me some advice with something similar to this. i have two rescues my boy ozzy is fine he has an iron bladder he will not go in the house hes brilliant.

my girl beau we have had since february, wen left alone such as bed time she tends to wee and poo not so much of a problem as we have wood floor through out but more of a pain.
she also dose it wen i go to work even if i have let her out before hand and atm i have only been out of the house for around 3/4 hours with work 5 days a week besides that im always home with them

she some times will go out not do anything come back in then wen im out of the room she will wee or poo.

as i said its kind of a pain but im starting a new job tomorrow where i will be out of the house for about 8/9 hours a day 5 days a week (my partner works shifts which change weekeley and will be home generally wen im out)

but on the odd day where both of us are doing a full day i dont want to come home to a sewidge tip lol. i did think about putting pads down but i dont want her to get used to it i want her to become like my boy who just holds it till he can go out but i dont really kno how to house train a semi trained adult dog shes about 2 n a half. she also wees wen shes reli excited...like wen i get home from work some times she pees on my shoes or the floor only a little bit.

can any one offer me any advice on this ?

cheers
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy & BOBO
Dog Gender(s) : boy and girl
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Sep 07 2011, 20:43

I think some more training for Beau would be a start, you've had her since feb and she should have caught on, go back to basics with her. When your both at work get a walker in for an hour, hopefully with a routine she will learn Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lexiepb Wed Sep 07 2011, 20:55

she has days where shes great shes a bit weather funny like if its wet out she wont go outside no matter how hard you try and that seems to be more wen the accidents occur also if we keep her up with us at night that helps stop the night accidents

shes bin on and off of medication since weve had her which i dont think has helped reli

these days all shes reguarly on is piriton

the toileting thing is the only problem besides that shes a perfect dog , i no her signs for wen she needs the toilet and wen i call toilet they both know what it means and wen she dose mess at all its always by the door so she knows its not acceptable to go all over the house , and she has deffinatley reducede down the number of toilet breaks since weve had her because she used to have a lot off accidents now its just one or 2 a day max i just done really know what else i can do to make it none, i make sure they go out as soon as i wake up and then they have there breckfast and they will go out as and wen they want to throught the day and i always let them out before i leave the house and before bed.

i will deffinatly consider the walker idea though its just hard becuase i dont know any one where i live litterally no one and i wouldnt feel very comefortable letting a stranger in my house or being with my dogs

once weve moved house i will be a lot closer to work so will able to swing back home on longer days on my lunch break

i guess she will just get there eventually lol

hopefulyy wen im back in a routine she will settle in to one too and maybe that will help
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy & BOBO
Dog Gender(s) : boy and girl
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down