do members agree with training pads or straight to back garden for a wee ?

+8
Rachel33
jo garnett
KMDT
Boycies_mum
Limey
janey
fiona'n'poppy
nicolene Iveson
12 posters

Go down

do members agree with training pads or straight to back garden for a wee ?  Empty do members agree with training pads or straight to back garden for a wee ?

Post by bella100 Sun Dec 08 2013, 23:25

Im currently using a training pad for my 8 week old puppy. she does all her wees on there and i praise her and give her a treat shes only had a couple of accidents but am i making a rod for my own back ? but poos she does them anywere is it best that i take her staright to the garden or place her on the puppy training pads and slowly move her to back door ? until shes old anough to go for walks thanks any info will kind x
bella100
bella100
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 8 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

do members agree with training pads or straight to back garden for a wee ?  Empty Re: do members agree with training pads or straight to back garden for a wee ?

Post by Guest Mon Dec 09 2013, 04:05

Hi again Smile I used puppy pads but I guess it's personal choice some people will say straight outside others use pads Smile we put the pads down right by the back door and she used them once she'd had her 1st injection we then started taking her out every 30 mins, after food, drink, play and a small treat and lots if praise if she went in the garden Smile hope this helps.

Back to top Go down

do members agree with training pads or straight to back garden for a wee ?  Empty Re: do members agree with training pads or straight to back garden for a wee ?

Post by Guest Mon Dec 09 2013, 10:04

Straight to garden. If she learns that its good to wee in the house you will have a hard time getting her not to. You will train her to wee on the pads only to then tell her it is wrong, which will confuse her a lot. Start as you intend to go on. Outside is the toilet.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicolene Iveson Mon Dec 09 2013, 10:27

We never used pads but popped outdoors for her toilet. Now at six months we leave the door to the garden open for her during the day. We let her out before bedtime and she last til we get up at five in the morning and then we let her out again.
Patience and being consistent pays off.
nicolene Iveson
nicolene Iveson
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In an open relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tip
Dog(s) Ages : six weeks old
Support total : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by fiona'n'poppy Mon Dec 09 2013, 11:23

Straight outside for us, its hard work to start with as you have to be taking them out regularly, but at the end of the day its cheaper and quicker in my opinion.

fiona'n'poppy
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy
Dog(s) Ages : 21/8/13 14 weeks

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Dec 09 2013, 11:25

Yep straight outside for us also Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey Mon Dec 09 2013, 11:33

We used the straight outside method. Worked for us. Zara 14 weeks now and it's really paid off
Limey
Limey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zara
Dog(s) Ages : 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 38

Back to top Go down

Post by Boycies_mum Mon Dec 09 2013, 13:49

Straight out for us too but I do put training pads down. One in the kitchen and one by the door incase I miss the signs x

Boycies_mum

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Boycie
Dog(s) Ages : 9 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 09 2013, 15:26

Straight out here too never used any pads or paper  Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by KMDT Tue Dec 10 2013, 14:02

Straight out here too but Zeus had a lots and lots of accident inside the house because we ware not consistent back them. Take him outside after every meal or every 30 min or 1 hour then he started to go to conservatory door to let us know that he want to go outside for toilet. Patient is the key!! Good luck!  Wink
KMDT
KMDT
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 31/7/2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 21

Back to top Go down

Post by jo garnett Tue Dec 10 2013, 14:11

Outside - it's difficult at first because you have to take them out every hour or so and after feeds but it pays off. It isn't the perfect time of year for it unfortunately  Rolling Eyes but good luck  Smile 
jo garnett
jo garnett

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : both 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both female
Support total : 86

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue Dec 10 2013, 14:18

I did straight outside for my dad's whippets when they were pups Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 10 2013, 16:28

Straight outside for me  biggrin 

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Tue Dec 10 2013, 16:51

Straight out if possible. It's time consuming because you have to constantly be on the alert and tiring, especially if you get up through the night as I did. They do catch on quicker though if you are vigilant and allow as few accidents as possible. The usual applies, as soon as she wakes up, after play, after feeding, after every bloody thing basically. Laughing 
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizziedixey Tue Dec 10 2013, 21:33

I tried the pads but preferred to wrestle so did away and just kept running outside with our lil man. His 13 weeks and will 9/10 times tell me he needs to go out now

Lizziedixey

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by bella100 Wed Dec 11 2013, 21:43

Thanks for all your advice as im on the last puppy training pad. starting for tomorrow will take her straigh out doors of i catch her weeing /pooping in the house ill let you all know how she goes x
bella100
bella100

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Wed Dec 11 2013, 22:39

bella100 wrote:Thanks for all your advice as im on the last puppy training pad. starting for tomorrow will take her straigh out doors of i catch her weeing /pooping in the house ill let you all know how she goes x

You need to pre-empt her weeing and pooing by taking her out before she starts.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sat Dec 14 2013, 23:02

Straight outside for us too! He had newspaper down over night incase he did have an accident and we slowly started to decrease the amount we put down until he would only go on a single sheet, then suprisingly from about 11 weeks maybe? He started to hold it until morning!

We haven't had an accident inside since then, but I think thats because we are always taking him out as often as possible...its kinda become an automatic thing to do now!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by bella100 Sun Dec 15 2013, 01:07

yes ive been taking her often , after every wee and waking up and after food also. But she is doing a wee outside  Smile and does her wees on puppy traing pads ! but since removing the puppy training pads shes started pooing anywere under the kitchen table Sad something she hasnt done since we got her (ive only had her 9 days ) So today i got her some more training pads and do you think i should slowly move them to back door ? . Ive heard if they do poos under tables , behind things and you catch them and tell her no then she,ll start hiding were she does them is this true ? also i think i will try what Bane says above only thing with paper is she seems to drag the paper everywere lol x
bella100
bella100

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Sun Dec 15 2013, 09:08

bella100 wrote:yes ive been taking her often , after every wee and waking up and after food also. But she is doing a wee outside  Smile and does her wees on puppy traing pads ! but since removing the puppy training pads shes started pooing anywere under the kitchen table :(something she hasnt done since we got her (ive only had her 9 days ) So today i got her some more training pads and do you think i should slowly move them to back door ? . Ive heard if they do poos under tables , behind things and you catch them and tell her no then she,ll start hiding were she does them is this true ? also i think i will try what Bane says above only thing with paper is she seems to drag the paper everywere lol x

You must never reprimand her for doing it indoors. Just clean up without any fuss. The only way to train her to go outside is with positive reinforcement i.e. lots of praise when she goes where you want her to. If you catch her in the act and scold her, she doesn't learn not to do it indoors, only not to do it in front of you. Better just to lift her mid poo or wee and take her outside without any fuss, but again lots of praise when she does go. Remember she is very young and can't fully control her bladder or bowels. It will take a few weeks but if you follow the advice given on this forum you will only have the odd accident and she'll be toilet trained before you know it. Remember we've all been there.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sun Dec 15 2013, 14:09

Ye if she poos, she poos its just one of those things you have to clean up and try again next time.

Whenever we caught Bane about to go inside we would try to make lots of noise as to try and startle him to make him stop but without directing it at him as if we were telling him off. Most of the time we then managed to grab him and take him outside.

If we didn't get there in time we would always take him outside straight away anyway as a kind of going toilet = go outside. And always praise him loads for going outside. Our neighbors probably think we are nuts but oh well! Big Grin

As for the newspaper thing...It might be because we put it down from when we first got him that he was used to it? Although we did find when he got a bit older if he was left alone with the newspaper he would rip it all up.

As for moving the training pads...I read somewhere that if possible you could put one that shes already weed on outside where you want her to go toilet, then the smell will attract her to it? Don't know if it works but could be worth a try?
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by bella100 Thu Dec 26 2013, 14:53

thanks reuben i just found it strange that other puppys use the paper (but Bella will only use the training pads but hey mine might be fussy like me lol ) plus if found something what works then ill carry on with training pads as she does go on them. as for the cleaning up that hasnt bothered me tbh maybe because shes small so hardly anything there lol Smile and thanks Bane my neighbours think im nuts shouting good girl you good girl sexy lol and saying come on baby treat lol yes im now going to start moving the pads nearer to back door thanks for the info love this site guess ill be using it a lot Smile
bella100
bella100

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down