open sores

3 posters

Go down

open sores  Empty open sores

Post by giblet Sun Aug 28 2011, 00:05

my boy harley has just come out in what i can only say are like open sores that then just scab over he had one come out on his cheek so took him to the vet who had a look and said its ok just wash it in hibascrub so thats what i did and all was goin great started to heal really well and i was so glad coz it looked so sore and then today he was just no himself so when i went to give him some love i noticed that he had another sore coming on his other cheek and threw out the day he has started to get quit alot all over his body he has perked up in his behaviour but i am so worryed so i will be taking him the vets on tuesday morning when they open i have spoke to the same vet on the phone who said it will be ok till then but i just cant stop worrying and you always seem to think the worst it would break me hart if i lost him i would love to no if anyone has had or heard of anything like this
giblet
giblet
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
open sores  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : harley
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

open sores  Empty Re: open sores

Post by Guest Sun Aug 28 2011, 00:10

Not sure what it could be. Hopefully the vet will be able to explain things to you. Hope Harley is okay >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Aug 28 2011, 12:01

Poor Harley, I'm sorry I haven't any experience with this, but I wish you all the best for Tuesday and try not to worry too much, there's nothing you can do till then and if the vets thought it was serious they would have asked to see you sooner. Keep us updated Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 28 2011, 13:44

It sounds a bit like an allergy. Have you tried half a Piriton tablet? I won't hurt, and it may help.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Aug 28 2011, 15:07

It sounds like a hot spot , its basically a build up of skin allergy/infection and is so nasty but is really not as bad as it seems. It starts like a wet area then as it dries it goes scabby and falls out with the hair so leaves the dog with a bald area. Washing it with hibiscrub will cure it but they can get it anywere try not to worry its just a skin irritation and although seems nasty it should do okay doing what your doing Smile If after a couple of days you dont see improvement then go back to your vet and fur will grow back quickly Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 28 2011, 15:11

poor harley all the best at the vets

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by giblet Sun Aug 28 2011, 15:55

gem wrote:It sounds like a hot spot , its basically a build up of skin allergy/infection and is so nasty but is really not as bad as it seems. It starts like a wet area then as it dries it goes scabby and falls out with the hair so leaves the dog with a bald area. Washing it with hibiscrub will cure it but they can get it anywere try not to worry its just a skin irritation and although seems nasty it should do okay doing what your doing Smile If after a couple of days you dont see improvement then go back to your vet and fur will grow back quickly Smile
it sounds like you have hit the nail on the head but he has got loads of them now over his body do you no what the reason for them is so i can try and stop it thx for the feed back
giblet
giblet
open sores  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 28 2011, 16:29

Ask your vet for a skin scrape if its appearing all over the body especially on the belly it may be staph which is a skin infection, they can be very itchy and sore looking and in severe cases can cause open sores.

This will explain it better than i can.
http://www.dogandhorsecare.com/staph-infection

My nans collie suffered with this for many years even with medications, though i have to admit once diagnosed proper care was not offered to the outdoor dog for example keeping the dog clean, I'm sure you won't have this problem though.

Back to top Go down

Post by giblet Sun Aug 28 2011, 19:11

MissRogue wrote:Ask your vet for a skin scrape if its appearing all over the body especially on the belly it may be staph which is a skin infection, they can be very itchy and sore looking and in severe cases can cause open sores.

This will explain it better than i can.
http://www.dogandhorsecare.com/staph-infection

My nans collie suffered with this for many years even with medications, though i have to admit once diagnosed proper care was not offered to the outdoor dog for example keeping the dog clean, I'm sure you won't have this problem though.
thx but no it is hot spots i have looked it up and it is that so i have ordered some dermaligical shampoo and am also useing the hibascrub
giblet
giblet
open sores  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Aug 28 2011, 22:21

It starts with a very small irritation this can be any number of things like insect bite, nettles, allergy, dry itchy skin even rubbing themselves in something . The dog starts the infection itself by scratching ,licking,biting .
It starts under the skin and starts of like a wet gooey patch then goes really hard scabby when the scab breaks away in bits it takes the hair folical.
Cleaning the area will make it better and a dermological shampoo will be more affective than hibiscrub (here I go again) but maleseb is brilliant.
I coulnt really say what could cause this cause it could be anything but very comman and not half as nasty as you think so dont panic, as If they keep coming and you are woried the vet can give you a antibitic injection . Hope everything goes okay Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by giblet Mon Aug 29 2011, 00:17

gem wrote:It starts with a very small irritation this can be any number of things like insect bite, nettles, allergy, dry itchy skin even rubbing themselves in something . The dog starts the infection itself by scratching ,licking,biting .
It starts under the skin and starts of like a wet gooey patch then goes really hard scabby when the scab breaks away in bits it takes the hair folical.
Cleaning the area will make it better and a dermological shampoo will be more affective than hibiscrub (here I go again) but maleseb is brilliant.
I coulnt really say what could cause this cause it could be anything but very comman and not half as nasty as you think so dont panic, as If they keep coming and you are woried the vet can give you a antibitic injection . Hope everything goes okay Smile
thx for all the feed back and i will let you no how it all gose at least i can stop worrying now
giblet
giblet
open sores  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content