Suki is allergic to ....

2 posters

Go down

suki - Suki is allergic to .... Empty Suki is allergic to ....

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02 2011, 08:21

EVERYTHING Crying or Very sad We got her test results back from the dermatologist today and she isn't allergic to grass or anything else in nature. Vegetable are okay but she is allergic to chicken, fish, beef, lamb, turkey,pork, duck and a host of other meats. Also allergic to wheat, milk, rice, egg yolk and potato. The dermatologist suggested a deer or kangaroo protein based food.

We found a few companies that carry them and ordered a bag on line today. Hopefully it will all work out. She doesn't have any severe reactions just a few small bumps on her skin but she does poo about 6 times a day which can't be healthy not to mention the gas :-\\\\

Back to top Go down

suki - Suki is allergic to .... Empty Re: Suki is allergic to ....

Post by Aniemother Tue Aug 02 2011, 08:51

How annoying.. allergies are no fun! And so many, that must be really hard. My pug is allergic to chicken and beef and a few other proteins, which is why I started feeding raw many years ago (easy to control the diet). Then it turned out his allergies are only to the processed proteins of dog food, so he can actually eat raw chicken and beef and any other meat.

Hope the new food works out!!
Aniemother
Aniemother
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02 2011, 10:03

Wow, what a dilemma! Is she totally allergic, or are they all in different levels?

Dempsey is allergic to poultry (certainly chicken & turkey, but the vets says almost certainly birds in general). Because I feed raw, though, I only have to watch out for treats that have chicken in them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02 2011, 10:06

OMG, that puts you in a tricky situation.

Poor Suki, and poor you.

I certainly wish you all the best for getting her onto a diet which will suit.
Keep us posted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02 2011, 11:52

Caryll wrote:Wow, what a dilemma! Is she totally allergic, or are they all in different levels?

Dempsey is allergic to poultry (certainly chicken & turkey, but the vets says almost certainly birds in general). Because I feed raw, though, I only have to watch out for treats that have chicken in them.

There are different levels. We have been feeding her a dry lamb and rice food because I thought those were two things she would probally not be allergic to. Turns out she is highly allergic to both. She isn't to sensitive to beef but I'm going to try the deer and kangaroo option.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02 2011, 11:55

I think I'd find it very difficult to get kangaroo meat here! Venison is less of a problem, but SO expensive!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02 2011, 12:09

Caryll wrote:I think I'd find it very difficult to get kangaroo meat here! Venison is less of a problem, but SO expensive!

True we found a couple of companies in Europe that make the food. I'd post link but my better half has all that information. I just hope it works out for Suki cause I hate to see her uncomfortable.

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Tue Aug 02 2011, 13:01

poor Suki Sad... how she reacts to these types of food then?

any idea how much the allergy tests cost in the UK?
Mambo is definitely allergic to something (he's scratching his ears and mouth quite a lot) so I think we will have to do the tests soon...
spuker1
spuker1
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
suki - Suki is allergic to .... Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mambo
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2

http://tsphotography.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02 2011, 13:05

No idea about the costs in the UK. The test we had done was experimental and is only done in Japan I think. It cost me around $500 US. We have insurance and I've been blessed to have a good job though.

We will get the food in about two days and see how it goes. Fingers and paws crossed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04 2011, 13:18

Food should be here in a day or so hurry up!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04 2011, 13:44

Aw I've only just seen this. Poor Suki. I hope the new food is better for her and she enjoys it. Let us know how she goes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04 2011, 13:46

Will certainly do. It's hard to keep up on here as of late. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04 2011, 16:32

Oh poor Suki, I've only just seen this as well, have you receive her new diet? Wish we could send you the kanga meat from here without all the middle men.
Good luck and keep us posted, fingers, toes and all 8 paws X'd for a good outcome. praying

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04 2011, 17:21

wow how amazing is that to be allergic to so much! .. really hope the food you have ordered will suit her.
what a pain in the backside for you.. and Suki !!
let us know how she goes on it...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05 2011, 02:01

So sorry to hear this! I hope you find a food that works for Suki!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05 2011, 13:22

We are trying a vegetarian diet based on the vet recommendation. The food just arrived today so we will try it for a couple of months and see how it goes. If it doesn't work we will move on the kangaroo or deer based dog foods.

The allergic reactions are not too serious just basically some bumps that cause her to itch a bit so not life threatning although she does poop about 6 times a day.

While we were waiting for the new food we switched her to a soy bean, tofu, corn and sweet potato homemade fix and that brought the poop down to around 3-4 times a day.

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Fri Aug 05 2011, 19:36

jstaff wrote:

The allergic reactions are not too serious just basically some bumps that cause her to itch a bit so not life threatning although she does poop about 6 times a day.

this sounds exactly like Mambo - he had the same poop problem for about two weeks after we got him from the shelter. then we switched to raw (well, we feed him some veges and rice as well) excluding chicken meat completely and it all stopped! from 6 poos to 1-2 per day. he also had really bad ears infection that was most probably caused by some allergy. although it healed ok he still scratches his ears and mouth sometimes...

apparently we were lucky that switching to raw was enough (almost)... suki's diet sounds not only very time consuming but also quite expensive Sad
spuker1
spuker1
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
suki - Suki is allergic to .... Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mambo
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2

http://tsphotography.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down