Another tail question

4 posters

Go down

Another tail question Empty Another tail question

Post by Peeteboy Mon Aug 22 2022, 20:30

As you can see my pup Darla has a deformed tail and it just added character to her already lovable personality and I couldn't slow my wife down on getting her home.
Our first SBT together was a pricey one thru his 14 years but I would do it all over to have him back.
Anyway what is it I need to look out for and when can tests be done to see if she has spinal abnormalities and what are the tests?

The breeder we aqurried her from has a good reputation but to be honest she hasn't been forthcoming on does and donts and have done and have not.
Not a word about possible or potential problems related to her deformed Tail.

And she maintained she required full price which I don't have a problem with except if we're going to have health issues then I'm going to come unhinged. What's the best route for me to take and when as far as investigating this tail? I know there's information on Google but I'm asking here. Thank you very much for your time

Peeteboy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Another tail question Empty Re: Another tail question

Post by Peeteboy Mon Aug 22 2022, 20:33

Oops Another tail question 20220821

Peeteboy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Tue Aug 23 2022, 12:31

Has your vet seen her tail?

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Tue Aug 23 2022, 12:49

From your pic I assume your pup was born with a deformed tail? I only ask because if it's due to an accident after birth there's no problems.

Do you know if there's a history of tail deformities in her background? I wouldn't ask the breeder because it sounds like she doesn't want to know. I know you feel she's a 'good' breeder, but if she was, she would have discounted the price & would have given you tips on what to look for if there were to be problems in the future.

The chances are there'll be no adverse health issues, but it would be wise to have your vet look her over.

There are so many reasons for a kinked or deformed tail, and most don't cause issues, but some can - vertebrae pressing on nerves, spinal arthritis etc. If you can afford it, an x-ray may be a good idea, but discuss it with your vet.
Caryll2
Caryll2
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
 Another tail question Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Dempsey RIP & Badger RIP
Dog(s) Ages : RIP & RIP
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 113

Back to top Go down

Post by Peeteboy Sat Aug 27 2022, 17:25

gillybrent wrote:Has your vet seen her tail?

A vet has seen her twice now but never said anything at all about her tail.
This is not our normal vet. Our Normal vet that we had used for 14 years all of sudden is hard to get an appointment with in under a month, which didn't work well for our second round of shots so I booked an appointment with another local vet for her first physical check out and shots.
Now I forgot to ask about her tail but I kinda think an aware vet doing a first checkup would talk about it.

Anyway still looking for a good fit for a new vet.

Peeteboy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Peeteboy Sat Aug 27 2022, 17:40

[quote="Caryll2"]From your pic I assume your pup was born with a deformed tail? I only ask because if it's due to an accident after birth there's no problems.

Do you know if there's a history of tail deformities in her background? I wouldn't ask the breeder because it sounds like she doesn't want to know. I know you feel she's a 'good' breeder, but if she was, she would have discounted the price & would have given you tips on what to look for if there were to be problems in the future.

The chances are there'll be no adverse health issues, but it would be wise to have your vet look her over.

There are so many reasons for a kinked or deformed tail, and most don't cause issues, but some can - vertebrae pressing on nerves, spinal arthritis etc. If you can afford it, an x-ray may be a good idea, but discuss it with your vet.[/quote

Your correct about if she was a good breeder she wouldn't have charged full price and she would have been more forthcoming about any potential problems that could come from her tail.

I watched a handful of breeders for a couple of years and researched as much as I could on them and she appeared to have a solid red.
I think she's even a judge for AKC shows here in California.

Yes Darlas tail is from birth, it looks like a miniature tail but folded twice on its self.

Yes we will be getting x-rays and whatever else is required to get to the bottom of it😆.

I was hoping for a less expensive buddy this time around as our Rudy was a Cancer survivor, mass cell tumor on his face that he had to do 16 days in a row of  radiation therapy to his face. Then 5 years later bi lateral TPLO'S .
But regardless if Darla puts us in the poor house with Medical bills I've always said if you would do it for your child, wife, mother then you better do it for your best friend as well. Another tail question 20220828

Peeteboy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Sat Aug 27 2022, 22:32

She's a pretty little thing, isn't she?

I think you're going to have to specifically mention the tail to the vet; it's possible that the vet assumed you knew all about it?

Hopefully it's just grown badly in the womb.
Caryll2
Caryll2

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Tue Aug 30 2022, 19:30

Oh gosh, I still haven’t fired up the PC to upload photos of Nifty’s deformed tail. Sorry.

I echo what Caryl has already suggested, mention it specifically to your vet.
An xray may help to see the nature of the deformity and this can be done under sedation instead of full on anesthetic.

Does the tail get in the way when your girl goes to the toilet ?
That looks like the only immediate concern.
If/when you plan to spay her, maybe the vet can do something for the tail during the same anesthetic to straighten it in a plaster cast or something ?

Last edited by Nifty staffy on Wed Aug 31 2022, 18:59; edited 1 time in total

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Another tail question B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Wed Aug 31 2022, 11:51

Looking at the pic again, it looks quite similar to a 'bulldog' type tail? If that's the case, it's possible that it's just a throwback to the original bulldog breeding?
Caryll2
Caryll2

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peeteboy Sat Sep 03 2022, 21:11

[quote="Caryll2"]She's a pretty little thing, isn't she?

I think you're going to have to specifically mention the tail to the vet; it's possible that the vet assumed you knew all about it?

Hopefully it's just grown badly in the womb.[/quote

Ya I was thinking about my comment and came to the conclusion that I need to ask. He sees a lot of animals a day and can't assume what I know and don't know]

Peeteboy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Peeteboy Sat Sep 03 2022, 21:14

Nifty staffy wrote:Oh gosh, I still haven’t fired up the PC to upload photos of Nifty’s deformed tail. Sorry.

An xray may help to see the nature of the deformity and this can be done under sedation instead of full on anesthetic.

If/when you plan to spay her, maybe the vet can do something for the tail during the same anesthetic to straighten it in a plaster cast or something ?

I can't see any problem the tail is causing in regards to poo problems. I think I will have to keep the skin dry and clean where the tail folds back on it's self.

Thanks

Peeteboy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Peeteboy Sat Sep 03 2022, 21:18

Caryll2 wrote:Looking at the pic again, it looks quite similar to a 'bulldog' type tail? If that's the case, it's possible that it's just a throwback to the original bulldog breeding?

Yeah it's funny you say that. I did contact the breeder and I played a little bullshit with her saying my vet was asking if she had any x-rays on the pup since she was willing to only sell the pup at full price then she must have seen x-rays knowing that she was fine . Which wasn't true that never asked that but it was the politest way I could think of asking her if she's going to take any responsibility for this if there is a problem. And she acted totally dumb to the disease or the whatever you call it problem is outside of throwback to the bulldog , she pleaded the fifth. I'm putting the cart before the horse and trying to blame her but I was just shocked that she insisted on full price and never checked the spine

Peeteboy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll2 Sun Sep 04 2022, 09:35

Maybe she's never seen it happen before? Could be she doesn't realise that tail deformity CAN be a sign of spinal problems. I say 'can' because there's no way to tell without x-rays & she may be perfectly fine!
Caryll2
Caryll2

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Sep 04 2022, 20:14

Peeteboy wrote:
Nifty staffy wrote:Oh gosh, I still haven’t fired up the PC to upload photos of Nifty’s deformed tail. Sorry.

I can't see any problem the tail is causing in regards to poo problems. I think I will have to keep the skin dry and clean where the tail folds back on it's self.

Thanks

It’s just because the tail looked folded over so closer to her bits … Blushing
Great if it’s not causing any concern there Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Another tail question B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down