Hello-New member here, need advice

3 posters

Go down

Hello-New member here, need advice Empty Hello-New member here, need advice

Post by brentoscar Sat Oct 23 2021, 18:26

Hi

My name is Brent I have an 8 yr old Staffie called Oscar. I am enquiring if there is a medical part on this forum? My Staff Oscar has just been to the vets to get a pea-sized hard lump on his upper exterior leg checked. It's under the skin and not protruding through his fur, it has been there for about 6 months, increased in size slightly and I'm worried to bits as we have just lost our other Staffie last week. Can anybody advise

Thank you
Brent and Oscar

brentoscar
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Hello-New member here, need advice Empty Re: Hello-New member here, need advice

Post by gillybrent Sat Oct 23 2021, 18:58

Hi there, and welcome.

It's very difficult to 'diagnose' online as we are not vets.

Be assured, though, that most lumps & bumps (especially in older dogs) are harmless fatty growths & need no treatment.

As it's a hard lump I would be slightly more concerned, but even if it's the dreaded 'c' word, it has been caught early & hopefully can be treated successfully.

Obviously if it's just a fatty lump there's no need to worry.

You've done the right thing by referring it to the vet - now's the time to trust your vet & take things as they come.

Good luck & please do let us know how you get on.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by brentoscar Sat Oct 23 2021, 19:04

Thank you gilly, I posted my message to see if any of our members had the same experience I had, I know that the dreaded 'c' can come into play, I was hoping to know if a lump is hard as it more than likely to be the dreaded 'c'

I posted in the medical part of the forum as well:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t68618-hard-pea-sized-lump-found-on-my-staffies-leg-please-help#1040348

brentoscar

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Sun Oct 24 2021, 08:42

Hi & welcome to the forum wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Hello-New member here, need advice Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Hello-New member here, need advice Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Hello-New member here, need advice Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Hello-New member here, need advice Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Hello-New member here, need advice Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Hello-New member here, need advice Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Hello-New member here, need advice Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Hello-New member here, need advice B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Sun Oct 24 2021, 08:47

Hi from me & Katy, welcome to our forum Smile Sorry to hear Oscar has a worrying lump Straight Face Katy has a few now but vet said they are fatty as you can move them.
I really hope Oscar's lump is nothing to worry about nail biting
Please let us know the results.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Hello-New member here, need advice B110
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by brentoscar Sun Oct 24 2021, 10:58

Hi Jenc

Thank you for your replies, I do appreciate it. Oscars lump is a hard lump not a soft fatty lump like a lipoma, and you can move this hard lump as you can use your thumb and forefinger to get behind the lump. He has had it though, as my partner told me, not for 6 months but for about a year and a half to two years. In this time Oscar has not been ill or shown typical cancer reactions so that should be a good sign I'm truly praying. The vet said that his lymph nodes were all OK, and listened to his chest and abdomen, all OK, he said Oscar was in great condition. Im going in tomorrow hopefully to my vet, I spoke with her this morning and she said she will aspirate the lump and take a look at the cells, she did say that she would also send the sample off to the lab, that can take from two days to a week, the wait is going to be hard Sad

brentoscar

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by brentoscar Mon Oct 25 2021, 15:54

We went to the vet this morning and he gave Oscar a Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA) essentially putting a needle into the mass and extracting a cell sample to see if anything was suspicious. He checked his sample and he could not see anything sinister, a great start. He will be sending the second sample away to the lab as they have more expertise. The next step which the vet seemed to recommend is either a biopsy of the mass or a lumpectomy to analyse it further. As Oscar will be under general anaesthesia in both the biopsy and lumpectomy wouldn't it make sense to just go for the lumpectomy where they clear the whole mass from Oscar and then analyse it? If there is something in the lumpectomy it would have been removed in its entirety as we have removed the whole mass? It doesn't make sense to do a small biopsy with Oscar who will be under general anaesthesia as they still may miss anything sinister whereas a lumpectomy just takes the whole mass out in one go?

Advice would be great on this

brentoscar

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down