New here how much should I feed this guy??

3 posters

Go down

New here how much should I feed this guy?? Empty New here how much should I feed this guy??

Post by Paposec Thu Mar 12 2020, 11:45

He's on a raw food diet and I've been giving him 1lb a day alternating beef and chicken...hes 4 1/2 months weighs about 22lbs but the last 3 days he's been eating the entire lb in less than 3/4 min...i turn my head for a couple min and it's gone so yesterday I split the lb in half and give it to him at night and will continue that and really should have from the start but none the less I'm wondering if I should introduce fish for a night a week and I also give him a treat of marrow or neck about once a week so he gets to work his teeth and jaw on the bone....i would appreciate any help and suggestion...

Paposec
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New here how much should I feed this guy?? Empty Re: New here how much should I feed this guy??

Post by gillybrent Thu Mar 12 2020, 17:56

A puppy of 22lb (9.9 kilos) should get approx 500 - 600gms a day, so about 21 ounces. As he's only 4.5 months he should have 3 meals a day, so 7 ounces per meal.

If he's eating a pound of food per meal, it's far too much!

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

New here how much should I feed this guy?? Empty Re: New here how much should I feed this guy??

Post by Jenc Thu Mar 12 2020, 20:32

Hi & welcome to the forum wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

New here how much should I feed this guy?? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

New here how much should I feed this guy?? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

New here how much should I feed this guy?? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
New here how much should I feed this guy?? Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
New here how much should I feed this guy?? Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
New here how much should I feed this guy?? Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
New here how much should I feed this guy?? Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

New here how much should I feed this guy?? B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Paposec Fri Mar 13 2020, 04:29

Yeah I read that but this guy is running up and down some big Hills and three sets of stairs in my house that he loves running up and down so because of that I figured he must burn more than the average pup so I gave him a bit more. But I want him healthy and ripped not fat. Should I maybe give him a bit more because of all the exercise he does get?

Paposec

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Fri Mar 13 2020, 09:22

At 4.5 months? You're exercising way too much! You'll damage his tendons/growth plates.

Until he's at least a year you shouldn't be doing any high impact exercise - that includes up & down hills. The general rule of thumb is 5 minutes on lead exercise per month of age, plus some off lead exercise on soft ground.

He should also be having 3 meals a day.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Paposec Fri Mar 13 2020, 13:37

I've only had the guy for 5 weeks tomorrow and I just our introduction with my trainer on Monday or Tuesday just to go over what he offers and what I expect but we clicked instantly and he showed me how to stop him from jumping on people, stop pulling on the leash, down, potty train and to be consistent as well as the tone in my commands firm and confident whereas before I would even swear while working with him... LOL I would let him off the leash and let him run up and down those Hills a few times and he would listen to me as long as no other animal or no other person was around so really I was accomplishing nothing so now he is on the leash all the time and I am 100% consistent with everything never giving him one break and the development over just the past 4 or 5 days is incredible compare to nothing except he was sitting and wouldn't pee or poo in my area of the house but he would go out for a walk and as soon as he went upstairs I would hear my girlfriend or sister yelling within 5 minutes that he pissed and or * and I was the only one he wouldn't jump on but everyone else in the house he would turn into a terror just running around like a maniac to the point where I just didn't bring him upstairs but this week he's been going upstairs and I keep the leash on him at all times and he hasn't jumped on a person in days hasn't had any accidents since Tuesday he stays until I release him everywhere I've been doing it at every doorway on every street and for half hour every night with the whole family upstairs so his excitement level would be at a hundred the previous four weeks upstairs with the whole family and this week every night for 1/2 hour I sit with my foot on his leash and command him down and when he gets up I command him down again and if he doesn't go I put my hands on the back of your shoulder blades and put him down and count the number of times he gets up on Tuesday it was 22 times in the half-hour on Wednesday it was 14 and yesterday it was 4 and I did not have to force him down except once and then after that half hour I raise my hands up and say up and even help him if he's tired cuz he's been pretty much sleeping just accepted it as me being the dominant and I give him a treat and the family Praises him so he gets a little excited of course but he's learned so quick that hey if I just lay down here until he tells me to get up everybody just loves me and it's truly remarkable how quick and I am not naive I know they're going to be many bumps in the road but I'm going to become a great owner that knows my dog inside and out and my dog is going to reach his full potential because of that and I already love this guy way too much and he doesn't deserve a clueless owner that's why I came on this forum also I have a lot to learn but I'm putting 100% into this. Thank you for letting me know that, I'm going to read up about it right now but this week he has not run up and down stairs or Hills because he on the leash now at all times outside and in the house it only comes off in my man cave.

Paposec

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Paposec Fri Mar 13 2020, 13:38

I'm fixing all the mistakes I made the first four months

Paposec

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down