Puppy staying alone

3 posters

Go down

Puppy staying alone Empty Puppy staying alone

Post by sunil989 Sun Jul 29 2018, 18:10

Hi, this is my first time posting on the forum. I would like some advice for my 3 month old staffy Leo.

I was wondering how long staffy pups can usually stay alone for as there is times in the day where I cannot be with him. when I usually put him in his crate and leave the room he will start to bark and whine for 10-15 minutes then stop again for 10 minutes then continue to bark. I would like to give him some training and teach him that staying alone is ok. How can I show him that staying alone is ok and how long should he be staying alone per day?

Thank you

Sunil

sunil989
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Your Country : Denmark
Dogs Name(s) : Leo
Dog(s) Ages : 3 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Puppy staying alone Empty Re: Puppy staying alone

Post by gillybrent Sun Jul 29 2018, 19:06

Hi & a warm welcome.

Most pups will whine/cry when left alone - that's perfectly natural. Remember that until you picked him up he was with mum & siblings 24 hours a say! A little adjustment time is to be expected.

How long is he on his own? Is it mainly at night? How was he introduced to his crate?

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by sunil989 Sun Jul 29 2018, 20:44

Hi there, thank you for the reply.
When we got him at 2 months old, we had started by leaving him alone for 20 minutes around twice a day and we have gradually increased it to an hour however the barking and whining is consistent throughout the time he spends alone. He will also bark and whine if I leave him in the garden while cooking, taking a shower etc. I would like him to be more comfortable being left alone.

He is brilliant at night, we don't hear a peep from him. He will also go back to sleep as soon as I let him to relieve himself.

I started introducing him to his crate by leaving treats in there and also leaving a kong with stuffed treats and a few of his favourite toys, however he will eat the treats and the barking and whining will consist. I also left him in the crate for a few minutes then rewarded him when I had opened it.

sunil989

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sun Jul 29 2018, 22:18

Does he have access to the crate during the day, when you're actually there? Does he treat it as a 'den' or just as a place to he 'left alone'?

Also, is the crate open to the elements (just a figure of speach), or is it covered at all?

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by sunil989 Mon Jul 30 2018, 00:01

Yes he will have access to the crate. He seems to treat it as a place to be left alone.
I will give him access to the crate in the day, however he will prefer to nap and play with his toys else where.

I had covered the top of the crate with a blanket as I was told this helps them feel safer and more comfortable.

sunil989

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30 2018, 08:23

You might find the separation anxiety info sheet helpful

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t66717-separation-anxiety

It's really worthwhile working through the training now to avoid there being a problem later. Separation anxiety can be a really difficult issue to resolve and it's stressful for your dog, you and your neighbours!

Back to top Go down

Post by joshpills Tue Sep 04 2018, 01:00

this really isnt the time to start worrying yet. this will happen to EVERY dog at first. you say hes 3 months? im guessing you got him at 8+ weeks so hes only been with you for a month at most.

slowly increase the time you leave him alone, give him things to entertain himself with in the crate. maybe also dont close him in the crate just for leaving him alone, or he'll associate being locked in the crate with you leaving. give him 30 minutes time out/sleep time in the crate when youre still there in the room. also if he starts whining dont let him out, or he may think whining i what he must do to be let out. put him in the crate and wait for him to settle, ignore his whining, when he settles, let him out the crate, and dont make a big fuss out of him.

its normal, 99 times out of 100 they grow out of it, its new to him being alone.

joshpills
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down