Issues with her Paw Pads

5 posters

Go down

Issues with her Paw Pads  Empty Issues with her Paw Pads

Post by brophski Sun Jul 15 2018, 12:18

Afternoon all,

I took Sky to the vets weeks ago due to her suddenly limping. It turned out she had a huge spot in-between her paws. It was inflected not sure exactly how it happened. The vets said it could be anything from a grass seed to a splinter. I was given antibiotics and some paw cleaning solution. The infection went down and everything healed as it should.

Later that week I then came home from work to find bits of black rubbery stuff all over the kitchen floor. I couldn't work out what is was initially, until I looked at Sky and got that I've done something wrong look. So I checked her paws and the bottom of her paw pad had come off. It was red raw, and the other side was exactly the same.

I took her to the vets again, and they gave me more of the cleaning solution and more antibiotics. The only issue is she will not leave her paws alone. She has worn a cone for a few days, but as soon I take it off she it back to licking them all the time. Almost obsessed. In fairness Sky has always been a bit of pruner and a licker. At the moment it seems to be getting worse and there is wet patches everywhere she goes.

My concern is she will make her paws bad again. The last thing I want her to do is have the cone on 24/7, as the vets said only keep it on for a few days. I've attached a picture for reference of her paws. This is after they've healed somewhat. Really lost in what to do, and the vet always just says bring her back in if you have any issues. Which part of me appreciates, but the other part feels somewhat exploited with the cost each time.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Issues with her Paw Pads  IMG_4937_zpscihhqi3c
brophski
brophski
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Issues with her Paw Pads  Empty Re: Issues with her Paw Pads

Post by channi Sun Jul 15 2018, 14:53

some sort of soothing cream with a baby sock over it to stop the licking maybe ?
channi
channi
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : max
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2018, 16:39

I know it feels so mean but I'd leave the cone on for as long as it takes. We had the same with Nola, she kept wanting to lick the bit on her leg that was shaved for x-rays. It took ages, well over a week for her to stop wanting to bother it.

If after a week she's still trying to lick it, I'd be looking at other causes, such as allergies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Jul 15 2018, 16:49

Ouch, does not look very comfortable.
You have cleaning solution but nothing else to put on it ?

I’ve had great results (disinfection and “accelerated” healing on cats, horses and Nifty) with Betadine cream. I had a cat with a cut through the pad to the bone but with the use of this cream, almost completely healed in a week. For the cat, we strapped sterile compress on paw and then put home-made jean trouser leg over the top to keep cat from ripping it off (cone was not possible with her).

I would keep cone (or inflatable collar if more comfortable) for a short week with 2 or 3 times daily application of betadine cream with sock or doggy boot on top.

Warning, betadine contains iodine and is orange coloured so can stain.

Another alternative is to find a compatible paw balm to nourish, maybe ?
I’m currently testing wild dog paw balm which is 100% natural and lick-safe. Nifty licks a little and then leaves alone (put a little on all 4 paws as they’re a bit dry and cracked).

Good luck !

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Issues with her Paw Pads  B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Mon Jul 16 2018, 11:47

You could also try doggie booties? I don't know if she'd try to pull them off, though. Sad

I agree with the others in the meantime - keep the cone on. I know they don't like them, but if it stops her worrying at them, then it's worth it.

Did the vet hazard any guesses at why all of a sudden she felt the need to self harm in that way? The worry I would have is if it's a grass awl...

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/traumatic/can-grass-kill-your-dog

If it is, it's unlikely to come out on its own & may have to be flushed out or even cut out by the vet. They won't work their own way out as they're serrated & just work further in (see the pic in the link), leaving a trail of infection that won't clear up until it's taken out. Surprised

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Mon Jul 30 2018, 23:27

My guys paws get a hammering so I use three things, Mushers secret paw wax for initial protection (also good in winter for protection against salt) next if they get damaged Nelsons Hypercal Cream is the nuts at healing. if they rip them up after a race this is my go too product. For initial cleaning and something I always have in the van is Leucillin spray which is good for any injury from cleaning bites to cuts and grazes. you can even spray direct into the eyes with no adverse effect
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down