Advice really needed asap

4 posters

Go down

Advice really needed asap Empty Advice really needed asap

Post by kirstyleigh Wed Jun 13 2018, 02:56

So i moved into a flat last year its one flat spilt into 2 flats privated rented and yesterday our '
'wonderful' neighbour decided to take a stray cat into knowing we have 2 dogs they know this   im unsure what do to  do i tell the landlord because we asked if could have the dogs here im would assume they havent  i dont want to grass to landlord as  such because i then have to live next door to these people and dont want them complaining about our dogs  but im worried because we have already had 2 iccidents where both dogs have barked at the cat who is sits on the drive we have to carry the dogs up and down the  communal stairs because they leave the communal door open for the cat roam up and down the stairs i  dont want my dog to be put down if an iccident happens  because they have been inconsiderate anyone know the laws in the uk  on.this it stressing me out i cant sleep  i am moving from here but not till the end of the year but it only been two days and im already stressed out
kirstyleigh
kirstyleigh
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Advice really needed asap Empty Re: Advice really needed asap

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Jun 13 2018, 05:21

I can understand your concern, Nifty still barks at and runs after my cats who were here before she arrived as a pup Rolling Eyes

Is there any particular reason why you can’t talk directly to your neighbour ? This would be the ideal way to air your concerns about the cat’s safety (and yes, this is the bitter truth) and you could also give your opinion on the communal door being left open (not very theft-proof is it ?)

If you can’t speak to your neighbour directly, maybe write them a letter expressing your concerns, with a copy sent to your landlord. This is not necessarily snitching but if you are already in a sutiation that you’re not on speaking terms, your landlord needs to be kept aware of the situation before it evolves in the wrong direction. Your landlord is also the one who accepts, or not, animals in their property.

Good luck

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Advice really needed asap B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 13 2018, 08:11

And breathe... I don't think you should worry about your dogs being put down in case of an incident. The law is to protect people, whether a dog chases a cat should not make an difference.

I agree with Nifty Staffy, step one would be to talk to your neighbour and ask them to keep the communal door closed for their cat's safety. Just calmly explain that dogs will be dogs and that it is their instinct, and that in fact it is unfair on the cat as it won't really have much of an escape route in what I assume is a relatively small space.

If they won't agree, then I would talk to your landlord. Instead of dobbing them in about the cat, just ask him to ask them to keep the communal door closed. Rather than snitching, I would see it a reasonable request for the communal area to remain communal, not an extension of their flat.

And, for what it's worth, it sounds a bit unfair to keep a stray cat indoors. Unless they are used to it, a 100% indoor environment can be very stressful for a cat. Getting your neighbours to rethink might also be in the cat's best interests.

Back to top Go down

Post by kirstyleigh Wed Jun 13 2018, 08:30

Tbf the reasson we dont approach them is because they just arent that approachable the mom just bare face ignores you the adult daughter isnt to bad just never had a convo with her i just dont want to approach them and it turn confrontational n tbf the theft thing is something we have already thought about because the door to get into our flat isnt thst hard to get into once past the main door i had to go down and close it at 2 this morning and close it they would of known it was open feel like the couldnt give a monkeys i just feel like they would know there is an issue because last night they had their flat door ajar i took bella down for a wee as i was coming back to the flat the cat appeared i picked bella up 20kg of bella might i add and went upstairs she sctatches the crap out of my legs to try and get to this cat and i had to hold her at the top of stairs by my door while i got my keys to get in so they would of heard this as the flat door is CMs from mine and their door was a jar just think their attitude is they dont give a **** bella has never reacted to a cat like she did last night and i can only put it down to she can smell that cat in the commmual bit

LizP
In terms of space once that cat goes ustairs thdre is no room at all for her to move if the dogs meet the cat
kirstyleigh
kirstyleigh

Status Status :

Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Wed Jun 13 2018, 08:40

I'd agree with Liz - you need to approach the landlord. He should be aware that the main communal door is being left open, especially at night. After all, if one of the doors is damaged by a burglar, the landlord is the one who will have to replace/repair it!

The law accepts that dogs chase cats, and although it isn"t nice for you, nobody will take you to court over it.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by lexii Fri Jun 15 2018, 23:20

As said, it won't be your fault unless you are tying up the cat and making your dogs hurt it, which is not the case! The cat will move if it needs to, and if it doesn't, then it will the next time.
lexii
lexii

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : No dogs now :(
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content