ok bit of advice asap please......

+2
dkay72
Lizzie
6 posters

Go down

ok bit of advice asap please...... Empty ok bit of advice asap please......

Post by Guest Wed Aug 10 2011, 15:26

For those of u who dont know Ty has been very poorly for the best part of 2 weeks, he was poisened and then had a stroke. He yesterday walked again for the first time and he has been great. I have just taken him and kaos for a play over the field all off lead so Ty could do everything at his own pace. He did a bit of "fast walking" etc when i called the dogs back to go onto the lead they were both covered and i do mean absolutley covered in blood. Ty leaned over over me and i was covered as well it was pouring out his mouth. Anyway we have just got home well about 40mins ago i have cleaned him up and cant find where the blood was coming from no cuts that i can see......what is worrying me more is that when we got home i put kaos in his crate and left Ty in the hall while i put tv on and sorted out my hysterical 3 year old. When i went back into the hall 2 concertrate on Ty there were about 5 big patches of clotted blood like thick and well......(sorry 2 be gross but girls u know what i mean). There is just no way they came out of a cut (if there was one) I dont no what 2 do i cant get him 2 a vet until hubby gets home with car, if a vet is needed thatis, i dunno what 2 do. He is absolutley fine know by the way bleeding has stopped and he is having a rest. worried

Back to top Go down

ok bit of advice asap please...... Empty Re: ok bit of advice asap please......

Post by Guest Wed Aug 10 2011, 15:41

Oh crap, Carly I don't really know what to offer for support only that if he seems to be ok and no further blood as he's now still then keep him quiet for as long as it takes till hubby get's home.
I so feel for you and your 3yr old (how traumatic for him/her).
Nurse theory and I COULD WELL BE WRONG it sounds as if he has some sort of problem with how quickly his blood is clotting. Mucous membranes as in the mouth and intestines are very vascular in that the blood vessels are close to the surface and can bleed easily. The fact that the blood congealed fairly quickly is possibly a good sign, the fact that he is still bleeding is less so as it sounds as if his platelet level (strong point in how we stop bleeding when cut) maybe low due to the poison he had. Only a vet can give you the right advice on this one.
Hang in there and try and keep calm, wish I was there to help. Big hugs. >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Wed Aug 10 2011, 15:45

I'm sorry to read this, where abouts in Somerset are you. Will help you if I can!

Lizzie
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 10 2011, 16:21

Like Dogalog above, I feel pretty useless reading your post from the other side of the world...wish I could do something !
Hope you get some answers from the vet.
Take care XX

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 10 2011, 16:32

Dogalogs88 wrote:Oh crap, Carly I don't really know what to offer for support only that if he seems to be ok and no further blood as he's now still then keep him quiet for as long as it takes till hubby get's home.
I so feel for you and your 3yr old (how traumatic for him/her).
Nurse theory and I COULD WELL BE WRONG it sounds as if he has some sort of problem with how quickly his blood is clotting. Mucous membranes as in the mouth and intestines are very vascular in that the blood vessels are close to the surface and can bleed easily. The fact that the blood congealed fairly quickly is possibly a good sign, the fact that he is still bleeding is less so as it sounds as if his platelet level (strong point in how we stop bleeding when cut) maybe low due to the poison he had. Only a vet can give you the right advice on this one.
Hang in there and try and keep calm, wish I was there to help. Big hugs. >Big Grin<

Wow thanks so much, that really helped, what a fountain of knowledge Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 10 2011, 16:35

Lizzie wrote:I'm sorry to read this, where abouts in Somerset are you. Will help you if I can!
Gosh! How kind of you but ive been on the phone to the vets and they have said similar to what is posted above and think as it has stopped bleeding he should be okay but obviously it is something to keep an eye on but as he is still in recovery from the poisen it could be related. I am in a village near Yeovil, do u know it, where are you? Maybe we could meet up 4 a playdate! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 10 2011, 16:36

vanessa wrote:

Like Dogalog above, I feel pretty useless reading your post from the other side of the world...wish I could do something !
Hope you get some answers from the vet.
Take care XX
Smile Thanks vanessa, i think i was maybe over reacting, the vets dont seem to worried lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 10 2011, 16:39

well if you have spoken to the vets that must be a abit of a relief for you.

Big pat for Ty and a big hug for you! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 10 2011, 17:25

Carly you are not over reacting, I doubt I would react in any other way.
My older girl (very mischievous 1 year of age) along with her Bull Mastiff bro (16 months old) managed to get into the locked garage one day. I got home from work around 4pm with my ex telling me he thinks they may have gotten into the "RATSAK".
Bite tongue and ask "OK, how long ago....?"
Answer "This morning sometime"
While trying so hard not to over react and throttle him on the spot I said
[b How long ago....???? this is "rat poison" we're talking about....!!!" "Have you called the vet...?"
[/b]
"Ummm no, I thought it would be too late at they'd already swallowed it!!"
Lucky for him he was nowhere near my hand reach or his neck would still have fingerprints on it 13 years later!!! He is so lucky that all I was more concerned about my 4 legged ones and the need to get them checked out asap.
Fortunately there were no consequences, but the only person who could give me any idea of what to look out for and what to be concerned with was our vet.

Back to top Go down

Post by dkay72 Wed Aug 10 2011, 17:41

carly all i can say is hope everything turns out ok for the dog and your family fingers crossed hell be fine once hes gone to the vets... Big Grin chin up
dkay72
dkay72

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : rocky
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 10 2011, 17:53

hope you get sorted love and hugs xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Aug 10 2011, 17:57

OMG I didnt even know how horrible for you. I'm not sure why he is bleeding like that its strange because I wouldnt expect it to be related to his stroke. It is encouraging that the blood clotted and bleeding stopped quite quickly. I would definately recommend a trip to the vets again as any kind of haemorrage isnt good Sad

Skibadee and Tali send him loads of sloppy kisses, I'm in Bath Yeovil isn't that far from me. We could all meet up for a staffy playdate though my two aren't that friendly they probably wont play but like to go for long walks with a big pack!
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Aug 10 2011, 18:12

Oh Carly, poor you and Ty and family. I can't offer any advice but your all in our thoughts. Are you going to the vets? I do hope all is ok, I would be petrified never mind just worried. Sending hugs Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Wed Aug 10 2011, 18:45

Glad Ty is a little better, you must be so relieved now that you have spoken to the Vet. I live in the middle with Weston Super Mare to the West, Bath to the East, Bristol to the North and Wells to the South, Chew Valley area, and would willingly have come and collected you and driven you to the Vets if I had been near enough.

Will be thinking of you, all the best.

Lizzie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 10 2011, 20:16

How scary!! Glad he is ok, let us know if anything changes!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 10 2011, 20:41

Oh, Carly, it never rains but it pours!

Poor Ty, and poor you, you must have been so scared. It sounds like an ongoing reaction to the poison, but if it was me, I'd be down the vets again.

But then I'm a born worrier!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 10 2011, 20:48

Hope all is ok with him sounds like he's been in the wars

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 10 2011, 20:58

Oh Carly big hugs! hope you and Ty are feeling alot better soon! xxxx

Back to top Go down

Post by madeira264527 Thu Aug 11 2011, 03:51

I would still take him to the vets for a check up, Yes will cost you but your dogs health comes first, If you have pet Insurance, Which I have got for my 14 week staffy pup, * Highly recommended! , You can claim It on there!
madeira264527
madeira264527
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Keisha
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by madeira264527 Thu Aug 11 2011, 03:52

Well your probs have pay out your own pocket then get money back off the Insurance! I believe thats how It works, That If you do have pet Insurance.
madeira264527
madeira264527

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Keisha
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11 2011, 04:52

I would also advise a trip to the vet. If there were no visible cuts and you aren't positive of where the blood came from the could have been some internal damage to the organs from the poison. This could have become aggrevated from him moving around for the first time and caused bleeding. From your post it sounds as if he is clotting well but internal injuries can result in blood pooling and cause swelling and damage to other organs. I don't know if the vet did an internal exam but you may want to ask for one just in case.

Of course I am not a vet so the opinion is just a personal one and I hope I didn't alarm you and make the situation worse. I feel very bad for you and hope everything works out for the best.

Back to top Go down

Post by ratty Thu Aug 11 2011, 09:04

blaze wrote:
Lizzie wrote:I'm sorry to read this, where abouts in Somerset are you. Will help you if I can!
Gosh! How kind of you but ive been on the phone to the vets and they have said similar to what is posted above and think as it has stopped bleeding he should be okay but obviously it is something to keep an eye on but as he is still in recovery from the poisen it could be related. I am in a village near Yeovil, do u know it, where are you? Maybe we could meet up 4 a playdate! Smile

i think that if the vet gave that diagnosis over the phone without actually examining the dog, then i would be looking for another vet,
if only for your own peace of mind,they could possibly give you the same diagnosis, bit at least it may make you feel a little better that both vets feel the same way,and that it is not a serious problem after all,

heres to his speedy recovery Smile

ratty
ratty
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : ratty
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

http://www.foxie.me.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11 2011, 14:47

Caryll wrote:Oh, Carly, it never rains but it pours!

Poor Ty, and poor you, you must have been so scared. It sounds like an ongoing reaction to the poison, but if it was me, I'd be down the vets again.

But then I'm a born worrier!

I'm With Caryll, if it were me i'd be down to the vets to get him looked at again, just to be on the safe side.

I too am a born worrier.....sometimes a good thing, sometimes a pain in the butt.

Hoping Ty has no further bleeding / blood loss and he continues to gain more and more strength.

Please keep us up to date on his progress.

Hugs to you and your family >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down