Lead Advice

2 posters

Go down

Dog Lead Advice

Post by Leesakk Mon May 21 2018, 14:14

Hi everyone,

So our little one, Bae is 10 weeks tomorrow. She had her last injection yesterday so we are on countdown now for when we can take her out. She was measured yesterday for a harness and we had fab advice so purchased her first one. I am now looking at a lead for her. Has anyone got any recommendations on the best type/brand please?
She currently weighs 4.8kgs so do I buy one suitable for her weight now or one that will grow with her? Extending or non extending? I know a tape one is best for extendable but unsure if I need a heavy one or not at this age or if a "normal" lead is best to start with.

Thanks for any help.
Leesakk
Leesakk
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Dog Re: Lead Advice

Post by Nifty staffy Mon May 21 2018, 15:45

Please avoid the extendible leads.
I had an old lead lying around so used that as there are chances that lead will meet puppy teeth at one moment or another Laughing
One for adult size or 20 kgs will probably be rather large with a heavy clip. If you can find a cheap lighter lead to start with, it should be fine.

Can I ask what harness you have for her ?

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Lead Advice B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 21 2018, 17:48

Definitely don't use extending leads. Yes the tape ones are better than the horrors of the thin ones, which can cause serious injury. However, they can still get caught round things and you are also reliant on the mechanism working at the speed you need it. If you want something longer you're better off with a lightweight training line and spending time getting used to controlling it yourself.

For a very first lead, I would go for something lightish but not flimsy - I like the cushion padded ones, this sort of thing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMFORT-CUSHION-PADDED-Dog-lead-rein-20mm-wide-7-great-colours-8-sizes/253587962704?hash=item3b0b053b50ⓂmZkk6SNHnFoiVs6Z6hEEqAQ

That's in part because I'm used to that feel in my hand. You can also get different lengths.

My top, top tip, though, is to work outside as well as in the garden off lead. It's extremely rare that a puppy will run away when first let off, they don't have the confidence for that, and that gives you the ideal opportunity to teach them to want to stay with you with no lead. Walk a little bit, encouraging Bae to come with you. If she doesn't, walk backwards and draw her towards you. When she's happy to follow you off lead, getting her to walk with you on lead is easier.

When she's just a few paces away, wait for her to look at you then call her, again stepping back a bit if needed to draw her to you. You then have the basis of recall. I promise you, working like that now will set the foundations for your future walks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down