Kathy
janey
thepack
sammylou85
8 posters

Go down

collar and lead or harness and lead Empty collar and lead or harness and lead

Post by sammylou85 Mon Feb 06 2012, 17:23

Benjy had his final jabs today so next week we can start going on walks. I was just wondering what you would recommend. Is it better with a collar and lead or a harness and lead? day dreaming
sammylou85
sammylou85
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Benjy
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

collar and lead or harness and lead Empty Re: collar and lead or harness and lead

Post by thepack Mon Feb 06 2012, 17:46

I prefer to walk on harness and lead as my first choice but I can also walk all of my 3 on collar and lead.

You might find he will walk better on a harness first time out, mine did as they refused to walk collar and lead as babies

thepack
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

collar and lead or harness and lead Empty Re: collar and lead or harness and lead

Post by Guest Mon Feb 06 2012, 18:28

I would always train for a collar first, and then a harness if that seems better. I think you have far more control with a collar, and it's a lot easier to stop pulling.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 06 2012, 18:56

We always used a collar, you will probably find you won't get very far for your first walk, good luck and don't forget some pics
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Feb 06 2012, 19:10

Moo was older when I got her, I just used collar and lead but my mum, when she walked her prefered a harness. Now she has more confidence its just a collar.

Maybe get a collar and lead and let Benjy wear it round the house for short periods of time so he can get used to the feel. May make the first walk more enjoyable Smile

Good luck Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Feb 06 2012, 19:52

We always walk Rocky using his harness and a 3 metre line. He wears his collar for his ID tags
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by georgiegem Mon Feb 06 2012, 20:24

I have been walking Heston with a fleece harness together with a collar, attached by a double clip lead. It has really come in useful when 'steering' him through new situation, such as new people & dog. It just allows him to get a feel for being guided from neck without feeling strained and when he gets an urge to pull I can stand strong without being pulled along!!!
georgiegem
georgiegem
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Heston
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by krik1690 Tue Feb 07 2012, 07:16

Collar first. That worked good for me Smile
krik1690
krik1690

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : conan
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 07 2012, 11:12

Just remember that in the UK the law says that any dog out in public should have a properly fitted collar with an identity tag on it even if the dog has been microchipped.

The Control of Dogs Order 1992
This mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag. Your telephone number is optional (but advisable).

Back to top Go down

Post by thepack Tue Feb 07 2012, 19:25

Mine will walk collar or harness but ALWAYS even at home have thier soft collars on with their ID tags on (microchipped please scan, phone number, and needs medication)

Im sure you will find the best way for walking your baby and which way he/she is happiest to walk

thepack

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue Feb 07 2012, 20:56

I've always used a harness for my bully's, got about four hanging up as he grew out of them Laughing ... now he only wears a harness for working as I bought a nice wide collar just for lead walking Smile
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Hall-Dunn Doggie Mon Feb 20 2012, 22:28

I am really pleased to read this as it has really answered an argument in my house! We have always taught with a collar and lead before and I intended to do the same with our newest puppy. However for a reason I don't get my OH wanted to use a harness this time (our new puppy is very boisterous) but I am pleased so many agree with using a collar (after all it has always worked before) and then moving to a harness if we feel it necessary. doh
Hall-Dunn Doggie
Hall-Dunn Doggie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bubbles
Dog(s) Ages : 10 Weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down