Fur loss without other symptoms

5 posters

Go down

Fur loss without other symptoms Empty Fur loss without other symptoms

Post by spezzsma66 Sat Mar 10 2018, 11:39

Rio is my 4 year old male staff. He is a blue cross brindle and his coat has a 'ghost' appearance. I noticed that he was thinning at the back of his neck about a year ago which has gradually spread along his spine making its way to his rump. I had him castrated around 16 months ago because he humped practically everyone he came into contact with except for myself. He has no other symptoms-no itching, redness, lumpy skin. Other than the thinning along his spine is coat is very shiny. He has 1 tin of butchers tripe a day and a bowl of complete dry food which he snacks on throughout the day but never eats a bowl in one sitting. His water intake is good also. I have read up on fur loss but as he has no other symptoms am wondering whether it could be a hormonal imbalance brought on by his castration. Has anyone else had the same problem?
spezzsma66
spezzsma66
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Rio
Dog(s) Ages : 22 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Fur loss without other symptoms Empty Re: Fur loss without other symptoms

Post by -Ian- Sat Mar 10 2018, 11:47

Hi & welcome to the forum wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Fur loss without other symptoms Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Fur loss without other symptoms Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Fur loss without other symptoms Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Fur loss without other symptoms Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Fur loss without other symptoms Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Fur loss without other symptoms Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Fur loss without other symptoms Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Fur loss without other symptoms B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sat Mar 10 2018, 11:52

Hi & Welcome to the Forum from Flo and me Big Grin

Rio looks like a real character there Smile

I would be surprised if it was a hormone deficiency, what does his vet say? Another thing to consider is the quality of food, butchers isn't the best so it might be worth looking at some changes there. Coconut oil is reported to be very good for fur and it might be worth adding a half teaspoon a day to his food and see if that makes a difference.

It could also be allergies that's causing this, however, only a vet will be able to diagnose that, equally, if there is no itching this would be way down my list of considerations.

I'm sure others will be along to offer advice shortly, do let us know how Rio gets on.

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sat Mar 10 2018, 18:54

Hi and welcome.

Without seeing him 'in the flesh' it's difficult to make a diagnosis. However, as he's blue, it's possible that it's Colour Depletion Alopecia.

IF it is, then there's very little you can do other than keeping his skin healthy. Food will play a huge part in this. You say you give Butchers Tripe & a kibble? I have to say that Butchers isn't a 'good' food, but you don't say which kibble you give.

Personally, I don't agree with 'free grazing' but if that's what suits you, it's your choice.

You could try massaging coconut oil into his skin every couple of days, and adding some salmon oil to his food which might help.

I take it you've discounted Mites?

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Mar 10 2018, 20:06

Hello and welcome from us.
Not able to give any advice on your problem but Rio is a very handsome lad ! Love Struck

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Mon Mar 12 2018, 08:05

my Buddy has the same sort of thing - he has bald patches on either side - it always looks as if his harness rubs but it isn't - it is seasonal alopecia - it goes by May - his dad was a blue and he has very thin fur anyway . I rub coconut oil in his fur and it does help -have him checked for mites just in case Buddy had Demodex mites when he was a pup and these are the areas his fur thins during the winter - if the vet cant find anything then he is ok - it just adds to his character - Buddies baldy bits as I call them always make a conversational piece with people - helps to enlighten people on how loving a staffy can be !
smudge95
smudge95

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : 20.02.2015
Support total : 56

Back to top Go down

Fur loss without other symptoms Empty Fur loss without other symptoms

Post by spezzsma66 Fri Apr 06 2018, 20:41

Thankyou for all the advice so far given but Im still struggling with finding a solution or in fact a cause for Rios' skin problem. I've changed his diet and he is no longer allowed to 'graze'. The kibble he now has is grain free rich in fish oils. It took him a few days to get used to it but has settled into his new diet and the regime.
I bought a good quality flea shampoo and put him in the bath stood on a white towel then showered him. The idea being that if he had fleas I would see them on the towel. Nothing.
I then bought a shampoo aimed at skin problems coconut oil being the key ingredient (very expensive).
Still no scratching but there are slight raised lumps underneath the fine fur. I bought some coconut oil and have massaged it into his skin.
There is no improvement if anything his skin is worse.
I have listened to the advice given and acted upon it.
I took him to the vets today, explained to him what I have already told you and was told that it looked like demodectic mange. To be sure he took a skin scraping. He sent me away with penicillin tablets and medrone tablets (along with a bill). He phoned a couple of hours later the necessary tests completed. He has not got demodectic mange, there is nothing wrong with his skin.
I already knew this because he wasnt scratching. His skin doesnt twitch if you lightly run a finger along the balding area.
Is there anything else-something I might have missed.
spezzsma66
spezzsma66

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Fri Apr 06 2018, 23:44

I honestly think he has Colour Dilution Alopaecia. We're his parents also blue?

Unfortunately, if that's the case there is not much you can do. Bathing too often will make things worse by drying his skin.

The only other thing I can think of is to try and find a holistic vet near you. Maybe an approach from a different angle might help.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by spezzsma66 Sat Apr 07 2018, 13:13

Hi, thankyou you the advice but before accepting this as the problem, I want to tell you about Rio. After Tyson (my 15 year old staffy) died I was devastated. I swore never to get another dog but I came across Rio on a selling site. I fell in love with him instantly. He was 9 months old when I brought him home and it was pretty clear he had been left to his own devices. He was an absolute maniac when I got him, caked in muck, underweight, nails overgrown. He had never been in a car before which meant the drive from Bury to Bamber Bridge was a nightmare.
From day one, he came with me everywhere in the car. If shopping I would take him to my mums to mooch in her garden or to a friends.
I started part-time work last year which is now full time.
Could he be fretting? Another thought is that he sleeps in my bed, could he be having a reaction to changing the detergent I normally use?
spezzsma66
spezzsma66

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Apr 07 2018, 15:40

What a tragic start in life but turn of fortune in finding you.
Change of detergent and/or fabric softener could definitely be worrh investigating.

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sun Apr 08 2018, 22:28

A change of detergent or fabric softener could certainly be the culprit. So could nerves/anxiety. Poor fella's had a lot to deal with.

You could try washing your (and his) bedding with a baby detergent & softener & see how it goes.

You could also try an Adaptil spray (amazon sell them) which might help if he is feeling anxious.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down