Chase has worked out how to slip out of his Julius-k9 powerharness!

4 posters

Go down

Chase has worked out how to slip out of his Julius-k9 powerharness! Empty Chase has worked out how to slip out of his Julius-k9 powerharness!

Post by MattsBabe7 Fri Sep 01 2017, 13:52

As the title says ... Help!
I know Julius-k9 do chest pads to add on but I don't think even that will stop him!
I can tell when he's about to slip so can stop him before he tries but we paid £30 for this "non slip, anti pull" harness from the RSPCA centre claiming it was the best harness around!
He also now pulls like crazy and gets up on his back legs.

What harnesses do you guys suggest is best for this challenging pup?
MattsBabe7
MattsBabe7
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Chase
Dog(s) Ages : Almost 1! Born on Xmas eve!
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Chase has worked out how to slip out of his Julius-k9 powerharness! Empty Re: Chase has worked out how to slip out of his Julius-k9 powerharness!

Post by Guest Fri Sep 01 2017, 14:07

It's ultimately not down to the harness, it's down to training. No harness or other equipment will ever stop a determined dog, unless it's causing discomfort to the extent it outweighs his desire to pull. It's like a seesaw, the balance being the desire to do and the desire to avoid.

Have a read through this:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t66712-teaching-loose-lead-walking#1022186

That's what I believe to be the best way, with the focus on the positve teaching of what to do rather than restraint and what not to do. If you are going to be using a clicker for other training, use it to reward loose lead walking as well. It's just another place for the clicker to say 'yes!'.

Back to top Go down

Chase has worked out how to slip out of his Julius-k9 powerharness! Empty Re: Chase has worked out how to slip out of his Julius-k9 powerharness!

Post by gillybrent Fri Sep 01 2017, 22:12

Most dogs can pull out of any harness if they pull backwards. The trick is not allowing them to pull backwards in the first place - encourage with treats and/or clicker to keep your dog walking with you.

harnesses aren't magic contraptions to automatically stop your dog pulling, they have to be used in conjunction with training.

The Julius IS a good harness, but only YOU can train your dog not to pull (forwards or backwards).

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by MattsBabe7 Sat Sep 02 2017, 07:53

Looks like we have A LOT of training to do with our little guy.
He'll Be enrolled in training classes as from Tuesday (if fiance isn't working at the same time)
Just have to keep telling myself that he WILL be a loving family dog, he just needs to find his manners ... And the snip.

I can anticipate the slip out so encourage him to "walk on" as I've been teaching him. He's getting it, just like he's understanding not to jump up and that's in less than two weeks of owning him ... There is a light!

I do love the Julius-k9 harness. We're getting him some "in training" patches to go on the side along with little side bags so he can carry his own doggy bags and treats (obviously nothing heavy!) And a chest pad for his comfort being wide chested.

He's a spoilt boy!
MattsBabe7
MattsBabe7

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 02 2017, 08:24

There will come a time, in the not too distant future by the sounds of it, that you will look back on all this and maybe not laugh but at least smile.

You are doing and incredible job, really. If you're making progress with a messed up dog within just a couple of weeks, you are doing really well.

Anticipation is one of your best friends in training. A lot of people struggle to find it so you're a step ahead already. A lot of people also baulk at the idea of investing time and effort in training, or say they'll do it but don't, whereas your commitment sounds amazing.

As well as the training classes (brilliant!), I wonder if you wouldn't also like some more underlying stuff to think about. Are you a reader? If so, get yourself a copy of Patricia McConnell's 'On the Other End Of the Leash'. It's very readable while providing some very good dog psychology. Understanding the inner dog helps so much with understanding the whole dog.

And be proud of what you are achieving, the dedication you are showing. Not everyone would be going this far.

Back to top Go down

Post by MattsBabe7 Sat Sep 02 2017, 09:30

We are going to the library today to find some staffy books so I'll look out for that one.

I was ready within two days of having him to find him another home but now it wouldn't be home without him even though he is a little challenging.
Just seemed like such a shame to "waste" such a beautiful and intelligent beast when behind the "mess" is a loving, kind hearted soul waiting to come out.

Last night we achieved 20 minutes in the front room with me and my fiance without him humping or mouthing me! He just wanted belly rubs and fuss bless him ... Until he got over excited and wouldn't listen.

With everybody's help and advice on here, of which I'm super thankful, and research into the breed he doesn't seem like such a bad dog. He just really hasn't been taught how to be a dog and be respectful to humans ... Yet!
MattsBabe7
MattsBabe7

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 02 2017, 09:41

MattsBabe7 wrote:He just really hasn't been taught how to be a dog and be respectful to humans ... Yet!

I Agree

Books - anything by Patricia McConnell is good, Jean Donaldson is another good name for solid understanding. Avoid Cesar Millan like the plague. You'll probably find loads of other names with practical training advice, maybe someone like Victoria Stilwell, Zak George, heaps of others. Stick with positive reinforcement methods and avoid anyone that works on the basis of dominance (e.g. Jan Fennell).

Chase is a very lucky boy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Sat Sep 02 2017, 09:41

I wish there were more people like you in the world. Like Liz says so many people want a perfect dog but don't put any effort into training them. I love reading your updates as you have come so far. You will love training class, we still go after two years and honestly I couldn't imagine stopping. Can't wait to see pics and read the next update.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Chase has worked out how to slip out of his Julius-k9 powerharness! B110
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Sat Sep 02 2017, 09:45

I got the book the other end of the leash as recommended by Liz previously and I highly recommend it too. I absolutely love Victoria Stillwell, if you have cable or sky tv her show, it's me or the dog is repeated at the moment. It's great viewing, she never writes any dog off and we have used lots of her tips with Misty.

Definitely avoid CM at all costs!

Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by MattsBabe7 Sat Sep 02 2017, 10:15

I'm trying my best for him along with bringing up my three children (four with the fiance), keeping house, learning to drive (again, children came first) and modifying my car for car shows.

I love Zak George and the way he's so calm. Been watching him on YouTube in the evenings and used to watch Victoria years ago.
I'm in no way going to teach Chase using any form of hurt or making him scared. That won't get him to trust us and make him any better!

I'll keep updating so long as I'm not getting boring lol. I'm not here to upset anybody.
MattsBabe7
MattsBabe7

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sat Sep 02 2017, 12:54

Another good read is "When Pigs Fly". Unfortunately I can't remember the author's name, but tge book's available on amazon & maybe even at the library.

Keep up the good work, you're working a miracle with everything else you've got to do!

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MattsBabe7 Sat Sep 02 2017, 16:57

"when pigs fly" is about how I'm feeling right now!
I keep doubting that he'll ever be a good dog and mix with the children :-(
MattsBabe7
MattsBabe7

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sat Sep 02 2017, 17:53

You will all get there I'm certain but it isn't going to be overnight, there's an old saying, slow and steady wins the race and when you do win you'll have the best fur friend you could ever wish for.

Keep the faith.

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sat Sep 02 2017, 19:07

MattsBabe7 wrote:"when pigs fly" is about how I'm feeling right now!
I keep doubting that he'll ever be a good dog and mix with the children :-(

He will, honestly!

'When Pigs Fly' is written by a lady who's 'been there, done that' with naughty, stubborn bull breeds - if nothing else, it'll make you laugh!

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 02 2017, 20:02

https://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DTB919EBK

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sun Sep 03 2017, 08:46

That's the book, but you can get it in the UK from either amazon or abebooks.co.uk

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 03 2017, 09:13

Indeed, but the E book's cheaper! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sun Sep 03 2017, 15:31

LizP wrote:Indeed, but the E book's cheaper! Big Grin

The kindle edition on amazon is only £5.69 and even cheaper for a physical book on abebooks (although their site is down at the moment).

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down