opinions please on hair loss

2 posters

Go down

opinions please on hair loss Empty opinions please on hair loss

Post by smudge95 Tue Jan 31 2017, 08:09

ok so some of you may remember that Buddy had some thinning of the fur - well it has increased even though I have stopped walking him on a harness .. There is a picture below of his worse side - only shows when the sun catches him in normal light and sitting down you wouldn't know its was thin.

He is not itchy his skin is normally baby pink -the rest of his fur is soft and shiny he is raw fed full of energy , so I am not sure what to do about his fur - someone suggested get him checked for thyroid but looking at the symptoms he has none other than fur loss can you just have one symptom anyone know? he isn't pot belied- lethargic or affected by the cold or any of the other symptoms listed

I am about to change his insurance and if I get a thyroid test done and it is the likely hood is that the new insurance will treat it as an existing condition and not pay out and it will be a lifelong treatment but my old insurance has changed its cover and I have to change. Don't get me wrong if he needs treatment I will get it done I'm just not sure that is what is causing it - ad the vet certainly didn't mention it when she checked him over

My hubby says change the insurance and wait a few weeks for when the central heating is off and also to see if his fur grows back in case it was the harness and as his hair has grown it has broken off where it was rubbed and we have to wait for new fur to grow- how long do you think it would take to show an improvement - I don't think it has got any worse over the last week but it has got worse from when I first noticed it at Xmas

its odd that it is in the same place both sides ( a symptom of thyroid) but it is also in the exact place of the strap that could have rubbed him on the harness as it was moving up and down his sides when walking -

what would you guys do?
opinions please on hair loss 20170128_123327_zpsainmxqvi
smudge95
smudge95
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : 20.02.2015
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 56

Back to top Go down

opinions please on hair loss Empty Re: opinions please on hair loss

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31 2017, 08:21

It doesn't look like the harness to me, the area is too big - it's right to his waist. After all you've tried, I think I would be asking for a referral to a dermatologist. If you google veterinary dermatologist there are quite a few that come up.

Could you not hold off changing insurance for a bit?

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Tue Jan 31 2017, 08:31

hi Liz - I know what you mean looking at the size of the area with the insurance if I hold off and get any treatment for him then a new insurer will not pay out for any ongoing or reoccurrence that was why I wanted to change first -I want to be in a position to get him the best treatment if its needed so having an insurance that will help with the cost is a must I must admit the photo looks a lot worse than when you see him but at the same time if it wasn't thin it wouldn't show up ..decisions decisions ....
smudge95
smudge95

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31 2017, 11:26

I think you'd be caught with a pre-existing condition anyway to be honest. The condition exists now and has symptoms now, regardless of whether it's been diagnosed, and in my experience insurers all ask directly if there is anything. If you did decide not to declare it when taking out a new policy my guess is that there'd be a strong likelihood that it would be discovered to be pre-existing and your new insurer may decide to invalidate your policy. It's not something I'd do.

Diagnosis is often the most expensive part and it's possible that this could be treated and dealt with in a short space of time. I'd go for full bells and whistles diagnosis now, getting the most out of your old policy, then change if you still need to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dukes Momma Thu Feb 02 2017, 09:53

I am having a similar problem with Duke, no one notices but me, but I am a bit paranoid after he had demodex as a pup.
I have been reading the thread about CDA and think he might have that as it seems very similar. Dukes Mom was blue.
Dukes Momma
Dukes Momma
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
opinions please on hair loss Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : born May 2015
Support total : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Thu Feb 02 2017, 11:11

Buddies dad was a blue - it could be CDA with him and Duke - he has always had thin fur above one eye dependent what way you look at him you can or cant see it never really bothered me as such but now - really odd with his sides his fur is great everywhere else so I don't think there is anything wrong with him but like you with Duke I get paranoid after the demodex -going to give it a month on evening primrose and apple cider vinegar and see if any change if not will have to consider next option ...I am hoping it will improve
smudge95
smudge95

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down