collar hair loss

3 posters

Go down

collar hair loss  Empty collar hair loss

Post by Steve.Sanders Tue Jan 01 2013, 22:59

hi guys, i originally had koda a leather collar n had tags done which she wore 24-7 and she looked a pretty girl Big Grin then one day i took it off to bath her and noticed she had a lot of hair loss on sides of neck and throat.. collar wasnt tight 3 fingers so i took it off and as she started enjoying her walks and pulled plus the fact she used to scratch her collar i started using a check chain just on walks which is only on for 5 mins till we hit field or woods then shes off lead and just bn on here reading about hurting necks n throat and want to go back to a collar plus in case she ever gets loose or bolts out the door or something i want one on but i dont want the hair loss.. any ideas please
Steve.Sanders
Steve.Sanders
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 30/07/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 33

Back to top Go down

collar hair loss  Empty Re: collar hair loss

Post by janey Tue Jan 01 2013, 23:04

Walk her on a harness. Collars are a must anyway and if she is only on it for a short while it shouldn't rub. Always have it off indoors though Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 01 2013, 23:19

There are different types you can get. But inevitably if something is on 24/7 there will be a little hair loss. I wear a watch an i have a smooth band around my arm where it is cause of the watch. As long as the skin is not broken or infected it should be okay, just try to use a soft collar and not one that hard or is too thick because they can be irritating.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02 2013, 19:09

Ezydog collars are nice and soft Smile

Our 2 get theirs put on as they go out the door and straight back off as soon as they come in , Tilly was not the hairiest of dogs anyway so can't afford to lose any more Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02 2013, 20:32

I never leave collars on indoors. Too many ways of having accidents - getting them caught on things etc. Plus, I bet you wouldn't want a bit of leather round your own throat 24/7; I'm willing to bet that it would begin to irritate you fairly quickly!

Anything that is constantly rubbling the fur in the same place will rub the hair away.

I wouldn't bother with a check chain, just use a collar but only when you're out. If you train your dog to respond instantly to "Stay!" then there shouldn't be any problem with them getting out on their own.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02 2013, 20:41

I agree with above, my dogs have never had a collar on indoors and initially that was just because I showed my dobermanns and didn't want a mark around the neck.

But now I have a Staff who is not shown and has a very strong tendency to bolt out of an open door. My dear old mum found a folding gate in 3 sections in one of her catalogues and we have that across the front door so that when the door is opened he can't get out. It is a heart-attack saver.

Also, please make sure your pup is micro-chipped.

The hair should grow back if you leave the leather collar off indoors.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Jan 02 2013, 21:11

We only ever put Rockys collar on for walkies then it comes off when we get back in. He must have it on while out though for his ID tags but it's never on indoors. He had a collar that also rubbed his throat which went in the bin, he just has a soft leather padded one now:

collar hair loss  Classic_black

http://www.wild4pets.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=89_29_33_117&products_id=279

We got the medium size one but I now wish I had the large one, must order another for him soon.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down