Puppy biting...SUCCESS :D

Go down

Puppy biting...SUCCESS :D Empty Puppy biting...SUCCESS :D

Post by rascal-girl Tue Jun 28 2011, 11:08

We read the advice posted by someone (link to a document on this site) about what to do when your puppy bites and it's AMAZING! The techniques actually WORK! I yelped when Rascal bit me, and she gave me this shocked kinda look. She did it again, but not so hard, I yelped again and she gave me "that" look. She put her mouth on me and I yelped, then she just put her nose against my arm!!! The yelping thing really works for her. If she's particularly boisterous, we yelp, then get up and walk away. She has improved 100%.

SO GLAD we found this site!

The link is in the topic "Collar training".

The sad thing is, Rascal and her brothers and sisters never really had the chance to learn properly from their mum angry They were pushed out at 6weeks.

Also, on a few occasions, we saw the owners (friends of ours) discipline the mother dog when she disciplined one of her pups Rolling Eyes The pup (whom we now know is deaf) was biting her and being really rough, mother dog growled at him and when he didn't "get it", she snarled into his face and bit him (gently). Thinking about it now, I reckon mama knew her pup was deaf and knew she needed to get in his face to get his attention. For this motherly behaviour, she received a whack across the bottom and was yelled at for being "ugly" to her baby, and pulled away. Little boy pup was then picked up and given lots of affection and cuddles.

Don't get me wrong, they love her to bits and I guess they think they're doing the right thing, but good intentions don't do our companions any good really, do they. We have a pup who didn't get to learn "proper" behaviour from her mum, so we're having to teach her. We are very determined to raise a well adjusted, friendly, social dog. Wish us luck! We'll be here a lot I can tell you!

Love Struck
rascal-girl
rascal-girl
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rascal
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Puppy biting...SUCCESS :D Empty Re: Puppy biting...SUCCESS :D

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28 2011, 11:12

yeah good news, well done for persevering,

thumbs up

and so sad as well, for the deaf pup and mum, what happened to the deaf puppy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28 2011, 11:28

Poor deaf pup! The cuddling will just reinforce the bad behaviour, I'm afraid - we've all heard out mums say at some point.........."Because Mum knows best!"

Good luck with the training. Once they begin to see a point in learning things, they come on leaps & bounds.

Back to top Go down

Post by rascal-girl Tue Jun 28 2011, 21:24

The deaf pup was bought by another friend of mine along with one of the other boys - at 6 weeks noone (well, except his mum) knew he was deaf. My friend has been advised to euthanase (sp?) him but she's persevering with training and so far so good. She's been told "a deaf staffy never has a good outcome". What do you guys think?
rascal-girl
rascal-girl

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rascal
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content