Hunters still biting

2 posters

Go down

Hunters still biting  Empty Hunters still biting

Post by Calumw Tue Mar 31 2015, 15:07

Hello everyone it's been a while since iv been on here but I'd like to say the advice I had last time was great,
My dog hunter is a 3/4 staffy 1/4 collie cross he looks like a staffy but a bit taller, anyway he's 5 months old now and is doing great but we're still having problems with him biting and nipping at you, it's not just hands but he'll snap at your face from time to time and I really can't stop it, we've told him no firmly for a while now and replaced what ever he's nipping at with chew toys but he still won't get the hint.
I know he's a clever dog because it took him 1 biscuit to learn sit as a 9 week old and gave you paw on demand from around then aswell recently we've got him to lye down and leave, I don't think it's that he doesn't understand he seems to just choose to do it.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks.

Calumw
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Hunters still biting  Empty Re: Hunters still biting

Post by Guest Tue Mar 31 2015, 20:41

It sounds like attention seeking, at least in part. Every time he uses his mouth on any part of your body, go away. Not a word, not a look, just walk away a few steps. He'll probably come and try again, in which case you do just the same. If he then stands quietly wondering what to do, praise him and give him attention for doing the right thing. The hard part is when the nipping has stopped, you still need to remember to give him attention at appropriate times for good behaviour.

The general rule of thumb is that animals do things that get them what they want, and avoid things that get them what they don't want. If you first of all work out what the dog wants, then you can use that as a reward and use its opposite as a 'punishment'.

Back to top Go down

Hunters still biting  Empty Re: Hunters still biting

Post by JStaff Wed Apr 01 2015, 00:05

LizP wrote:It sounds like attention seeking, at least in part. Every time he uses his mouth on any part of your body, go away. Not a word, not a look, just walk away a few steps. He'll probably come and try again, in which case you do just the same. If he then stands quietly wondering what to do, praise him and give him attention for doing the right thing. The hard part is when the nipping has stopped, you still need to remember to give him attention at appropriate times for good behaviour.

The general rule of thumb is that animals do things that get them what they want, and avoid things that get them what they don't want. If you first of all work out what the dog wants, then you can use that as a reward and use its opposite as a 'punishment'.

Good advice. He may also be teething so a frozen kong and treats will help ease the pain.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down