stella
-Ian-
JStaff
markrobo
13 posters

Go down

nail clipping  Empty nail clipping

Post by markrobo Sun Dec 14 2014, 21:09

I take beau out twice a day but her nails are still big and she's a nightmare trying to clip them me and my wife try to hold her but we got no chance it's like holding a bull by its horns any one got any ideas please help
markrobo
markrobo
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : beau
Dog(s) Ages : 12 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 99

Back to top Go down

nail clipping  Empty Re: nail clipping

Post by JStaff Sun Dec 14 2014, 21:12

If we have to clip Suki's nails we do them one at a time while she is asleep
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Sun Dec 14 2014, 21:15

Thanks that's sounds a good idea I will take her a extra big walk tomorrow and have a go then cheers jstaff
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Dec 14 2014, 21:17

Flo doesn't have this issue fortunately. Sounds like great advise to do it whilst asleep Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

nail clipping  B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Sun Dec 14 2014, 21:18

Yeah Ian it does mate
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Sun Dec 14 2014, 21:44

no we dont have it with sash but taking her out for a good long walk to tire her out and doing it whilst asleep sounds like a good idea,good luck with it Smile
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Sun Dec 14 2014, 21:47

Will let you know how we get on cheers people
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Sun Dec 14 2014, 21:48

Of course we have to do one or two nails at a time so the process takes a couple of days
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sun Dec 14 2014, 22:11

I gave up and went to pets at home groomers. you would think i was trying to pull them out the way they reacted. even then in a harness marley howled the place down, i kid you not we had a crowd watching the "wild dog" while laska was a lil more ladylike, to think i actually handle their feet each week to apply paw wax no problem. thankfully they only needed the front feet clipping. def got me £8 worth lol think they may hide next time they see us comming
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn&Pete Sun Dec 14 2014, 22:14

Do they really need clipping? If they are sharp, like her dew claws, then yes they need clipping, but length of nail shouldn't be an issue.
Lynn&Pete
Lynn&Pete
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Boson
Dog(s) Ages : May 2017
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 262

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 15 2014, 08:20

Horse trainer hat going on now, but this works for dogs too and I've taught 3 dogs to have their nails clipped this way. Apologies in advance if this gets loooooooooooooong.

I think one of the main things that animals struggle against in these situations is being held tightly and forced into something they fear. So often, once you find a way of taking that force hold away, they can learn incredibly quickly.

The first thing, then, is to avoid at all costs holding Beau in a way that is restraint by force. That means you have to work at what's called the edge of the comfort zone, that area where she starts to go from 'this is no problem at all' to 'I'm scared by this'. It's what I call the 'uh oh' moment. You should be able to catch that moment before she feels she needs to move her body, but while she's aware that this might become a real worry.

That's the point where an animal can learn that what they think they're worried about is ok. If you can start to build that that little bit's ok, then the next, then the next, you should have a smooth learning process that gets you to your goal positively and in a way that she can learn for the future.

You'll need to break down the process of clipping into tiny chunks, starting with something she can do easily and then adding little bits. Start perhaps with give a paw (lots of praise), then while you're holding her paw stroke it with your other hand, then start playing with her toes, etc, until you can manipulate her foot as you'd need to for clipping.

If at any point you hit 'uh oh', just hold it exactly there and ask her to relax her foot, then put it down. If you let go of her foot before she's accepted what you're doing, then she will learn that being worried, tense, maybe trying to pull her foot away, is what gets her what she wants. What she needs to learn is that simply relaxing her foot will get you to stop the thing she's worried about.

And at that point she'll start to see that in fact there was nothing to worry about, that you playing with her toes or whatever it was didn't hurt, that that forceful hold didn't follow, and that all is fine with the world.

When you add something new, say holding the clippers in your other hand for the first time, keep letting her relax her foot and put it down as a reward for doing the right thing. Take your time, give her lots of praise and treats, and make doing this pleasant and easy, good even!

Build up this way through holding the clippers in your other hand so she can see them, to bringing the clippers very slightly towards her paw (you'll probably get a reaction here so go slowly and remember not to reward her pulling her foot away by just going with the movement of her foot until she stops pulling), closer and closer until you can stroke her paw with the clippers. Don't go straight for the nails, you just want to stroke her paw.

Once you can do all that in a relaxed or even fun way, then it's time to move on to the claws. Just rub her claws with the clippers or, if that's too hard, with an finger of the hand that she knows is holding the clippers. Only when that's ok should you place the clippers round a claw. Squeeze gently, so she can feel it, but don't clip. Again, she'll probably try to pull away but hold there until she relaxes, then take the clippers away and reward her big time. When that's ok, squeeze harder - she'll feel it - and work in the same way until she can take all but the actual clip without worry. Then you can clip, and follow immediately with praise and a high value treat.

It goes without saying that you'll need to start off with only clipping the very end of the claw, making absolutely sure you don't nick a nerve. It's all about building her trust and confidence to start off with, rather than about actually clipping her claws.

If any of that doesn't make sense, yell! It does work though, honest!

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Mon Dec 15 2014, 16:38

Great advice Liz thumbs up

nail clipping  B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by SuziPea Mon Dec 15 2014, 16:47

Dizz is terrible for this - we have tried all sorts and I have to admit I pay for them to be done now at the same place we board him - they know he hates it and I know they muzzle him. It's a fair deal he loves me most when I collect him Smile

We have tried gently building up to it as above and will continue to work on that but at the moment paying for it is the easy option!!
SuziPea
SuziPea
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dizzy
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 15 2014, 17:46

SuziPea, I personally would stop getting Dizzy's claws clipped by the kennels and even let them grow a little longer than ideal until you can do it quietly. Maybe increase road walking to wear a bit more in the interim.

The thing is that you have to make the promise to the dog that having his feet handled and his claws clipped is genuinely ok, not sometimes but always, otherwise he can't possibly learn to not fear it. Animals find sometimes hard, they can't guess when is one thing and when it's another. They wil therefore work on the basis of self protection all of the time.

Imagine what it must feel like to be forcibly restrained for something that terrifies you, where you feel in danger of your life (this is what it can feel like), and you can't do anything about it. It is truly, truly awful. This is going to sound horrid, but please don't pay someone to do that to your lovely dog.

While he experiences this intense fear even just sometimes, he will remain fearful all the time and will be unable to learn constructively. Sorry to get all nerdy, but understanding and breaking down equine fears is what I used to do for a living. The problem with repeating fearful experiences, and why animals so rarely 'get used to it', is that fear itself feels horrible. It therefore reinforces the belief that something dreadful will happen just the same as if they were physically injured by it, because the were right, something dreadful did happen. It just injured them mentally and emotionally instead of physically.

If the above 'pressure and release + treats' method isn't working, then you need to change things a bit. Slow down what you're doing, really look carefully at the body language and recognise the very first sign of worry - maybe a change in the eyes, a lowering of the body, a clamping of the tail, swallowing (if I hear Chaos swallow, I know he's worried). That's your 'uh oh'. That the point that you have to stop, wait for acceptance and an understanding that this moment now is ok, then release.

If Dizzy is finding it hard, then start with really, really easy things to build his confidence. Spend a week just doing give a paw and stroking it. Let him find some 'hey, I can do this' moments and work to knock down his anticipation of something horrid. Keep sessions really short and positive, and always begin and end with something he can do well. In between, keep the build up tiny, just bringing the clippers one inch closer might be enough for one session.

I don't know if it'll help at all, but I've got a bit (a big bit, I'm afraid) of video of me working with one of the loves of my life, Trystan an Exmoor pony. It's just over half an hour long but please don't feel you have to watch it all! Just the first bit might help see what I'm trying to explain. I'm not putting this here to blow my trumpet as a trainer - this isn't really all that hard when you know what you're doing - but more so you can see how this pressure and release stuff works. You don't hear about it so often with dogs but they are doing just the same, looking for how to cope with the situations we put them in in the easiest way possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j-4esxuL-U

Sorry, I know I can waffle sometimes but I'm passionate about trying to live and work with animals in ways that are the easiest for them, and avoiding force, excessive stress and violence whenever at all possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Mon Dec 15 2014, 18:59

Never had this prob as I do walk Vin off his feet! Laughing I do his dew claws though and he is as good as gold, knows there is ham at the end of it.Yes try while asleep or pop to a groomer Smile

nail clipping  B110
Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Mon Dec 15 2014, 21:21

Bane hates it being done but we also sneak up and do it while he is sleeping Big Grin He will wake up but he's usually pretty out of it and not quite sure what is happening!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Mon Dec 15 2014, 22:21

Ive tried pretty much everything to no avail... short of sleeping gas I have no other option but to get them done by somone who has the equipment and speed. both will allow me to touch the feet no problem, i apply paw wax each week and massage the paws so they are used to me touching them but as soon as they see the clippers....Im dog enemy number one lol
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Mon Dec 15 2014, 22:26

i file mias with a nail file she sees the file and runs Laughing

nail clipping  B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Dec 16 2014, 11:37

Rockys nails seem to grow quite quickly too, every couple of months we take him to a local dog training centre that has a groom room attached to it. He has never had a problem with letting the lady there clip his nails as he loves all the attention and fuss he gets. Rocky has two long walks of about an hour each time every day on various surfaces and his nails still grow quickly.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Crutchlow79 Tue Dec 16 2014, 23:35

My method is the rugby tackle and wrap In Bath sheet method. Basically play fight pin down wrap towe round nel like I am hog tieing a baby steer then whilst holding her down like the piece down to criminals to get the cuffs on one at a time clip each step of claws on each foot. It's hard work she thinks its a game thougo

Crutchlow79
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : nel
Dog(s) Ages : 1 yr
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by SuziPea Wed Dec 17 2014, 00:46

Liz handling his paws is not an issue at all it is the clippers that causes the stress for him - and whilst it may sound cruel getting it done at the kennels it doesn't stress him in the way it does when I try it.  He will let me play with his paws, remove grass seeds and rub his feet (in fact the weirdo fully enjoys a foot rub).  But clippers just stress him.  We have taken time and praised him and like I said playing with his feet is not a problem but he still needs them doing and he gets plenty of road work.  I understand the passion behind your sentiments and we will continue to work on it but I have to think of his feet as well.

I like the idea of a rugby tackle - he likes play fighting in towels if we can make it a game that would be fab!  I couldn't do it in his sleep as his basket is under the coffee table so not easy to get to..... On that note it started out next to the coffee table and every now and then we pull it back out guaranteed within ten mins he has nosed it back under so he has his den back Big Grin

Glad to know I am not the only one that has issues - I just wish he had been looked after as a pup (he is a rescue) I would put good money on them not clipping his nails.
SuziPea
SuziPea

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dizzy
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by ColinW Wed Dec 17 2014, 09:21

Iza has 2 black nails rest are clear lol I'm scared so taking her to groomers when needing done.
ColinW
ColinW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Iza
Dog(s) Ages : 1.8 years
Support total : 633

Back to top Go down