Nail clipping

3 posters

Go down

Nail clipping Empty Nail clipping

Post by Buddy Wed Sep 18 2013, 12:22

Buddy has started trying to chew his nails and they are quite long, so I read the article on 'Trimming your dog's nails' and Bud's front nails look like the ones in diagram 2. They also make a tippy-tappy noise as he walks across our laminate flooring, so I bought some clippers.  

I managed to do one before he realised what I was doing and got a good look at the clippers Surprised Then that was it, even with three us trying to hold him, there was no way I could attempt any more without hurting him, he just wouldn't keep still.  

So I took him to a grooming parlour at our local pet shop who said they'd do it for a fiver.  He reacted in exactly the same way there and the girl managed to cut one before declaring the others didn't need doing as the quick was too close to the end.  It's a good 4mm from the nail tip, so I think she just found it too difficult because he wouldn't stay still.  

Having read the article, I'm concerned the quick will continue to grow with the nail, which will get longer and longer.  The only advice she could offer was to walk on pavement but with a nature reserve at the end of our road with woodland and meadows, I really don't want to swap our daily walks there for a busy road near a  housing estate.  

Should I take him to the vets or can anyone suggest anything else?
Buddy
Buddy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : Approx 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

http://www.grapevineessex.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Nail clipping Empty Re: Nail clipping

Post by Maria90 Wed Sep 18 2013, 12:42

Last time we were at the vets we asked if Rocky's nails needed clipping and she said they were fine, as well as the fact that if he is walked on pavement they wont need clipping as it wears them down naturally, if you don't walk on much pavement and you feel they need trimming I'd pop down to the vets and ask if they can do it for you Smile If his nails are dark it would be much safer too, they generally know how to handle them better also I find the groomers panic!
Maria90
Maria90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Nail clipping Empty Re: Nail clipping

Post by Kathy Wed Sep 18 2013, 13:37

We take Rocky along to our local dog training centre every few months to have his done by the groomer. They only charge a pound a paw. I have never attempted to them myself and would probably encounter very similar issues as you have. Try the vet if all else fails.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down