Maximus green
agriff
mrapcraig
Rachel33
JStaff
Ronnie1
13 posters

Go down

Ronnie , 10 weeks old Staffy chewing the wall  Empty Ronnie , 10 weeks old Staffy chewing the wall

Post by Ronnie1 Tue Jun 03 2014, 16:34

Hello,

I recently adopted my long time waiting staffy.

So far he is calm with playful outbursts however he likes chewing almost anything but his toys. For example, couch, table, metallic chair and today I discovered a hole on the wall corner.

I am not a big fan of crate so I am not using it.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Ronnie1
Ronnie1
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Ronnie , 10 weeks old Staffy chewing the wall  Empty Re: Ronnie , 10 weeks old Staffy chewing the wall

Post by Guest Tue Jun 03 2014, 16:42

Rub Vicks Vapour rub on there, it worked for us they dont like the smell. When you can pop and say hi here xx
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Back to top Go down

Ronnie , 10 weeks old Staffy chewing the wall  Empty Re: Ronnie , 10 weeks old Staffy chewing the wall

Post by JStaff Tue Jun 03 2014, 17:21

Bitter Apple works well also
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue Jun 03 2014, 19:48

Is he just doing this when you're not in the room? Just out of interest, why not a fan of the crate?
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by mrapcraig Tue Jun 03 2014, 20:20

Crate is a good invention...!!
My dog loved bitter cherry (they had sold out of apple) lol

mrapcraig
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by agriff Tue Jun 03 2014, 21:01

Get him a stag bar or bull bar from pet shop keep them going for hours only given when good
agriff
agriff
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Ronnie , 10 weeks old Staffy chewing the wall  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : ice & blue ( basil)
Dog Gender(s) : bitch & male
Support total : 68

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Tue Jun 03 2014, 22:52

Used properly the crate can actually benefit your pup and give him security and comfort Smile i found it very useful. It's not something to be used as a punishment though. Also it gives peace of mind that your pup is safe if you have to go out Smile of course if you don't want to use one that's perfectly okay and completely up to you!

You could try a kong or stag bar to keep him busy.
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnie1 Thu Jun 05 2014, 08:45

Thank you guys for the reply. Well it might sound cliche but crate looks more like a punishment to me. The point is to live with harmony. I tried vinegar today, spread some parts of the wall, I will see what happens. He doesn't like the smell of it, so lets pray.

I have him some bones to chew he started biting them, thank god + he stopped chewing the coach and wooden furniture. The main problem is the wall we need to get this fixed.
Ronnie1
Ronnie1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Maximus green Thu Jun 05 2014, 09:08

Yep stag bars and black kongs can't bet them loaded with treats.  Surprised  you can also buy bull bars these days ( treated bull horns ) they're obviously thicker than the stag bars. Have you tried playing more with pup ? These little vigorous play sessions will encourage pup to have more naps , they can't chew whilst sleeping  Big Grin 
Maximus green
Maximus green
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max. Kc name. Maximus Green
Dog(s) Ages : Birth date. 26/09/2011
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Thu Jun 05 2014, 09:21

Thankfully with a pup it's not a learnt behaviour and should be easy to train out, give the bitter nasty stuff a try but it made absolutely no difference to Ledger he would wince at the smell but would still lick whatever it was off my parents door then chew again. there are however anti chew strips which I think are originally designed for horses but I've not managed to actually locate these anywhere yet

We are at a stage now where he started the chewing as attention seeking but now just does it almost as habit. Now I have a long process on my hands and really focusing on praise and rewards if and when he walks past the door without focusing on it
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Jun 05 2014, 09:22

Biscuit LOVES her crate! It's got a cover over the top and loads of blankets inside, so it's just like a little den that she goes to snuggle up in. They're invaluable when used correctly!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Jun 05 2014, 11:32

I agree, a crate can be a God send when used correctly and never as a punishment. Rocky has his in the hall and we pop him in there whenever anyone comes to the door so we know he cannot get out the front door and possibly get injured on the road at the front of us.

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Thu Jun 05 2014, 12:12

Well it might sound cliche but crate looks more like a punishment to me.

That's the crucial part of the comments above, it should never ever be used as a punishment. Most of us leave the crate door open and the pup goes in and out as he/she pleases. As mentioned above they actually start to love their crates as they are a safe place they can go to just chill out on their own Smile
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnie1 Fri Jun 06 2014, 12:17

Vinegar solution worked for now. However we consider the crate/dog park kind of option. I believe he is too strong to stay in a park

The problem is we cannot watch him 24/7 as we both work.
Ronnie1
Ronnie1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by 11alan111 Fri Jun 06 2014, 18:37

your lucky hes only chewing the wall tyler has dug holes in the lawn and borders,chewed the wifes acer trees,carpets,coffee table legs hes got loads of toys and a kong and stag bar but still seems to prefer something else .

11alan111

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : tyler
Dog(s) Ages : 6weeks
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by gammy22 Fri Jun 06 2014, 20:36

i used the vinegar out of a jar of chillies and summer took 1 lick and never chewed again  Surprised 
gammy22
gammy22
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : summer buster
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : dog and bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Fri Jun 06 2014, 22:29

They can be very chewy as a pup, they just need to learn what they can and can't chew! Bane used to eat the table legs but grew out of it and has been great until recently.
He has now started on the wall and skirting board in his bed area but I think it is down to the fact I no longer work from home so he has a few hours alone in the morning and he just finished his stag bar last week. Fingers crossed a new antler will do the trick! Otherwise I will be cracking out the vinegar and vaseline Big Grin
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnie1 Sat Jun 07 2014, 07:11

Vinegar guys , he never touched the wall again, however the damage there is visible
Ronnie1
Ronnie1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by poppystaffie Sat Jun 07 2014, 09:56

theres a spray bottle you can get from pets at home that works really well, my puppy ate through a door before i brought it though, no amount of sanding was going to fix it :-( but ever since i used this spray she doesnt do it anymore x
poppystaffie
poppystaffie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy
Dog(s) Ages : 9 Months

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sat Jun 07 2014, 10:36

Are we using fish and chips vinegar? Or white vinegar? Bane was very bad this morning -.-
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by gammy22 Sat Jun 07 2014, 22:26

you need to experiment with different things till you find one he doesnt like , mine like i said was the vinegar out of a jar of jalapenos and i also rubbed the jalapenos on the skirting boards , summer was not a fan of it at all and i can honestly say im glad.
gammy22
gammy22

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : summer buster
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : dog and bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnie1 Mon Jun 09 2014, 07:57

We couldn't find the bitter apple spray , however vinegar and apple cider vinegar worked really well. Stopped chewing walls and furniture , the only problem left is the phone cable which we cannot cover with anything and its the only cable reachable, we just put a small towel with vinegar on it hoping he wont reach it. I think the boy starts learning what he can chew and what not. We will see in the afternoon  Smile  
Ronnie1
Ronnie1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnie1 Wed Jun 11 2014, 08:31

Hey guys, things gotten worse the last two days. He left the wall, but now he is a maniac with cables. Chopped 3-4 of them , adapter kind of. Impressive jaws for a puppy to be honest. The small towel with vinegar was "massacred" , this guy thinks that is a game and we put him levels of difficulties every time we go to work. Now we changed the room he stays during the day , this is more secure no cables or anything , its our bedroom where he sleeps at night too, we will see. I got him bull bars , waiting for the order to arrive. What I cant stand is that he is always chewing the diaper he is using to pee etc. Always, then is chewed and he doesn't know where to piss and is doing it around that area. He is not stupid at all, he listens but only when we are there, when we are out we just pray. I am not sure how crate will be helpful , I mean I can't put my boy in a cage for 9 hours a day, he can't hold it actually that much. He is too young to go out in the morning to release the energy , he needs 1 shot next month to complete the vaccines the first round
Ronnie1
Ronnie1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down