+3
goldie87
Dan330
bella3712
7 posters

Go down

Wall Chewing Empty Wall Chewing

Post by bella3712 Wed Oct 24 2012, 12:55

well what can I say except arrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
My daughter rang me at work yesterday Bella has chewed a hole the size of a 10p pence through to the plaster in my bay in the front room, and around it it looks like she has rubbed the paint off with her nose OMG and my brother in law was in the house at the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the plus side I have arranged with my nephew to take both the dogs out at lunchtime while Im at work everyday except weekends and Im going to pay him Laughing

Also Bella is still pooing and weeing in the house, not all the time because when I am at home I stick to the rules, but today my daughter let them both out b4 she went to school, I had let them out b4 I went to work, and my bro in law was in at 9 and she had pooed twice and wee'd once.

Is it just me or did every1 feel exasperated when they had puppies Laughing

I love her to bits and she is a very good girl apart from that Sad

Sorry for the long post

bella3712
bella3712
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 6 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Wall Chewing Empty Re: Wall Chewing

Post by Dan330 Wed Oct 24 2012, 14:09

Hi Sam, I had a similar problem with chewing walls and things that he shouldn't. My solution was to buy some ghost chillis, cut them in half and rub then on the wall thats being chewed (or whatever it is that you don't want them to chew) He only did it again once lol. Make sure they have loads of toys out of different textures helps as well. I got a great tip off here... fill a water ballon up and freeze it. Once its frozen peel the balloon off and let them play with the ice.... great for when thy are teething.

Mine still has the occasional accident in the house. Make sure before you leave for work you let the dog out and give the instruction to go for a wee, when they do its lots of praise and treats. If you catch them in the act in the house say naughty wee and time out. Mine is peeing on command almost now.

Yes its exasperating... it still is and he's only 7 months, it is however getting better!
Dan330
Dan330

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Monty
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Wed Oct 24 2012, 14:18

Spray vinegar on anything you don't want her to chew, worked a treat for me.
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24 2012, 15:34

You can buy an anti chew spray which does work and isn't as smelly as vinegar. However vinegar is as good Big Grin The problem I found was you don't know what to spray until initial damage done!

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Wed Oct 24 2012, 16:05

Bailey chewed my brand new plastered bedroom wall one morning Sad Laughing

Hangover + 20 week old teething pup = nightmare Laughing

Ice cubes, frozen carrots, frozen banana all worked wonders when he was teething Love Struck
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 24 2012, 21:25

Vicks is also good.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Oct 24 2012, 23:34

Welcome to puppy hood Smile

They go through phases tbh, you'll get through them, just takes constant training, inforcing training and re-inforcing it again, along with lots of praise when they do well, and staying calm when they don't do quite what you want them too Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 00:48

I never rubbed any strong-smelling/tasting stuff on anything, just watched Loki like a hawk and say "no" when he went to chew something he wasn't meant to, then shove a toy in his mouth or play with him. It was a nightmare, it felt like none of it was making a difference, but doesn't chew anything he's not meant to anymore, so it's worked. Whatever route you go down, as long as you're consistent, it'll eventually pay off, even though it doesn't seem like it at the time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 07:37

we've been lucky I suppose , neither have really attacked much permanent in the house , a few socks, mobile phones etc , they have both been more outside chewers, Tommy used to eat my shed , Tilly ate part of the gate , a waste pipe, the door sills etc Surprised Thankfully both seem to have grown out of the phase now and we just have all them treasured puppy memories as we look around the outside of the house Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25 2012, 08:21

Dave wrote:we've been lucky I suppose , neither have really attacked much permanent in the house , a few socks, mobile phones etc , they have both been more outside chewers, Tommy used to eat my shed , Tilly ate part of the gate , a waste pipe, the door sills etc Surprised Thankfully both seem to have grown out of the phase now and we just have all them treasured puppy memories as we look around the outside of the house Surprised

Loki's taken a big chunk out of the wooden step leading to our yard, so I hear you on that; constant reminder of his first week home Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by sherry Sat Oct 27 2012, 22:58

We have been lucky and followed the advice of a local pet store owner (21 yrs experience). We have him on a high nutrition dry food as apparently an under nourished dog can chew more as they are looking for nutrients. We say 'no' when he tries to chew. The best thing if he is in a really chewy mood, put him in his crate with some paddywack to chew on (mainly because it makes a right mess of the floor). I wish we could cure the chewing of flesh, bone and clothing though lol.
sherry
sherry
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chester aka The Terrorist
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by lauralsxx Sun Oct 28 2012, 17:34

hi well lilly is nine months and i buy her chew bones toys etc and i nearly have no kitchen floor left she has also wrecked my conservetry furniture. i wish i had crate trained her but to late now and to be honest she is great in every other way and when she looks at me with them gorg eyes im wrapped round her paw lol but good luck im sure it will get better
lauralsxx
lauralsxx

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : lilly and archie
Dog(s) Ages : 10 weeks and 15 months
Dog Gender(s) : male female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28 2012, 17:43

lauralsxx wrote:hi well lilly is nine months and i buy her chew bones toys etc and i nearly have no kitchen floor left she has also wrecked my conservetry furniture. i wish i had crate trained her but to late now and to be honest she is great in every other way and when she looks at me with them gorg eyes im wrapped round her paw lol but good luck im sure it will get better

Never too late to crate train her if you think its what she needs

Back to top Go down

Post by bella3712 Sun Oct 28 2012, 19:21

thanks for all your help guys,and advise, well since ive sprayed vinegar on the furniture,walls and seatee she aint chewed anything woo hoo x
bella3712
bella3712

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 6 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down