Weigh him down to get more out of a walk?!

+7
Jakeypup
JStaff
yeahbut
simonlee
Rachel33
debs0109
Sazzle
11 posters

Go down

Weigh him down to get more out of a walk?! Empty Weigh him down to get more out of a walk?!

Post by Jakeypup Wed Apr 23 2014, 22:09

Hi,
My staffy is a mental ball of energy, and it has been suggested to me that I get him a harness used for taking dogs hiking and put weights in it to make him work harder, give him a job and knacker him out. Just wondering if anyone else has done or heard if this before. Apparently cesar Millan suggests it.

Jakeypup
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Jakey
Dog(s) Ages : 1year
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Weigh him down to get more out of a walk?! Empty Re: Weigh him down to get more out of a walk?!

Post by Sazzle Wed Apr 23 2014, 22:12

Well I wouldn't listen to anything cesar Milan says but I have heard of people doing this, I've not done it personally so hopefully someone else can advise  Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Weigh him down to get more out of a walk?! Empty Re: Weigh him down to get more out of a walk?!

Post by debs0109 Wed Apr 23 2014, 22:22

How much exercise does he get daily?
debs0109
debs0109
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Weigh him down to get more out of a walk?! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : MIA
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : FEMALE
Support total : 52

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakeypup Wed Apr 23 2014, 22:56

Average about an hour to hour and a half walking each day, made up of a few trips out I'd say. Unfortunately because i have kids and other things I need to get done in a day I can't just give him more walk time. I have been out with him walking for hours at a stretch before and he is still bouncing round like a loon, just can't seem to get rid of the energy!

Jakeypup

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Wed Apr 23 2014, 23:08

We use a pack for Suki but you should wait until he is at least 18 months before starting. The weight should be kept to 20% or less of his weight and built up very gradualy.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24 2014, 05:41

What is he fed on?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Apr 24 2014, 07:26

Whilst cesar Milan is an idiot, backpacks do make them work harder, but as others have suggested, probably best to wait until 18 months. When he's out what sort of exercise is he getting? (on lead/off lead/play/interactive training? Etc) The other questions about food etc are also very relevant Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24 2014, 09:11

And he's still very much a baby if your profile is up today's, at 1 year they have mounds of energy Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by simonlee Thu Apr 24 2014, 10:11

i personaly take my kids with me, and i walk him on a cycle path so he can be off lead so he goes at his own pace and usually it takes me 2 hours to tire him out. you do have to be constantly aware of bikes and other dogs so i used treats to bring him back and now he sits by the side when bikes come and i put him on the lead when a dog approaches. i wouldnt use weights personally as he/she couldnt tell you if he was tired or strained/pulled a muscle. i hope you find a resolution which ever you decide.

simonlee
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 10mnths
Dog Gender(s) : m

https://s1159.photobucket.com/user/Swanseamale/library/

Back to top Go down

Post by yeahbut Thu Apr 24 2014, 10:29

I wouldnt use weights for dog either (personal choice). Having mounds of energy at one year old - how else is a pup meant to be? If he gets enough exercise and stimulation, then that other characteristic of pups will kick in - he'll sleep a lot.

yeahbut

Status Status :

Support total : 125

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakeypup Thu Apr 24 2014, 12:13

thanks for replies Smile
he is 19months now, need to update it onhere!
I feed home royal canin biscuits and butchers tinned meat.

Jakeypup

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Thu Apr 24 2014, 12:17

That's a good age to start. Build up gradualy with just the pack at first. When you introduce weight keep the walks shorter and gradually increase. When more weight is added back to the shorter route and so on. Until he is 24 months the weight should be under 10% of body weight and try not to let him run.
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24 2014, 12:18

Butchers could be the problem it's full of additives and could cause hyperactivity, my girl is 20 months and has mounds of energy we use lots of mental simulation to tire her out as well as excersise. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakeypup Thu Apr 24 2014, 12:58

thanks jstaff, that's a great help. I had no idea in how much weight to use or whatever, glad I came here first!
oh no, I.thought butchers was meant to be the best wet food Sad I don't feed that every day, just addi it to his biscuits maybe 3-4 times a week so he does.t get bored of just dry food. I mean, he always eats it regardless, just think it must be dull eating the same old stuff else

Jakeypup

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24 2014, 13:07

How about adding some sardines in oil or tomato sauce to his kibble or perhaps a raw egg Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Thu Apr 24 2014, 13:24

I would just say that mental stimulation can be excellent together with a walk, I play "find it" with Axl. I hide a tennis ball in the house and he sits and waits until I come bakc in the room and then I tell him to find it and off he goes... sometimes it takes him 10 minutes to find the ball but all the time he's looking and sniffing he's using his brain. I play for anything between 15 mins and half an hour and after a game of that he's flat out on his back on the sofa snoring lol... something to bear in mind Smile
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by yeahbut Thu Apr 24 2014, 14:33

_Hayley_ wrote:Butchers could be the problem it's full of additives and could cause hyperactivity.....

An honest question....on what basis is Butchers full of additives?

On the tin it says:  'No artificial flavours, colours or preservatives'. However, there are some additional vitamins listed (for nutritional purposes, so it says).

Are you referring to these vitamins, or have you something else in mind?

By the way, JWB has the same vitamins (additives) listed.

(Sorry if this question should be in the diet forum).

yeahbut

Status Status :

Support total : 125

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnyw Thu Apr 24 2014, 14:58

my 2 get 40mins off lead on fiels - then free run via dogflap into large garden -- they have diy obstacle course for when my foot wont allow a walk that day - they eat skinners duck/rice - with sardines in oil/sauce twice a week -- raw egg -- olive oil -- and sundays they have sunday dinner with meat/mash/veg/gravy/kibble
dawnyw
dawnyw
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : In a civil partnership
Dogs Name(s) : gizmo and jessie j
Dog(s) Ages : 4 and 1
Dog Gender(s) : male and female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Thu Apr 24 2014, 15:37

I've found with Katy to burn off energy I bought one of those ball flinging things (2 tennis balls) or her frisbie. 1/2hr of that & she's pooped also as said above mental stimulation wears them out really quickly. She had 1/2hr obedience class the other night, came home & slept until morning  Laughing 

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Weigh him down to get more out of a walk?! B110
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakeypup Thu Apr 24 2014, 16:56

Thanks you for the suggestions everyone, much appreciated Smile
When we going walking it is most of the time entirely on the lead walking. I don't know, I think it's a bit of a catch 22 really. If he could be more reliable with recall when other dogs are about I could let him off lead to tire himself out a lot more. But until he is knackered out my attempts at training aren't massively successful! So my confidence at letting his off leash much is peetty much zero Sad He isn't a total monster, he can sit, lie down, leave things when told and sit in front of his dinner waiting to be told he can eat even. So he isn't a hopeless case I don't think lol. Just too much excitement when we have people visit, jumping up all over them and not coming back if we see other dogs out walking. I just feel like, if he was more tired out a lot of the time he would be more inclined to pay attention?! And that might help his excitement with guests? People always know to ignore him until he is sat calmly (which he basically never does!!) so I thought energy might be his problem? Not all guests are exactly thrilled with having a dog jump all over them after all!
But yeah, I walk him with a head collar and have an extendy lead so he can have a sniff about, and if the path is decent enough for my buggy to travel at speed along we run for stretches as well.
I think mental stimulation at home is a good way to go as well, to e honest I think I could do more fr him in that department. Not that he is left on his own much, never more than 4-5 hours at a time and even that isn't very often.
I don't know, I might be way off here! First time dog owner syndrome maybe?! Tongues
Sorry for rambling in a bit as well!

Jakeypup

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakeypup Thu Apr 24 2014, 16:57

And thanks for the diet/stimulation suggestions too, I really do appreciate the advice Smile

Jakeypup

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Thu Apr 24 2014, 22:34

Nothing wrong with weighting your dog at all, right age just get a vet check to make sure resps and heart are okay. when you do it make sure your throw in some good protein in that days meal, i use raw eggs, raw mince beef or fish gruel on top of normal daily intake.
also try a flirt pole to tire the dog out, not only does it give a good work out you can train the leave command very well with it.
overall be sensible, watch your dog like a hawk as if they have a high desire to please they will run themselves into the ground for you. always err on the side of caution and make sure they find it fun. if they dont like weights, try agility, weight pull, bikejoring etc etc there are lots of fun things to do with and active dog.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down