+5
JStaff
stella
flowerbud
Bane
Rachel33
9 posters

Go down

Allergic Reaction this morning - Dust mites Empty Allergic Reaction this morning - Dust mites

Post by Bane Tue Mar 18 2014, 13:58

Bane had an allergic reaction to something this morning! Not done anything differently, he just got really clingy suddenly and then went off into the living room, I thought to snooze until breakfast. I heard him licking excessively so went in to see what he was doing and his feet were all red and sore looking.
Took him up to have a bath and just as I was getting him in, noticed all these bumps along his legs and paws. They must have been sore as he was kicking his feet at the water and couldn't stand still. Continued to wash and shampoo him and then got him out to dry and noticed they had appeared all over his nose so I had a bit of a panic thinking it was just going to continue to spread.
Luckily managed to get a vet appointment this morning (which by that time they had started to go down...typical!) His eyes were all red too and his feet looked so sore and swollen Sad

He's been prescribed 2x 5mg Prednicare tablets to take today and tomorrow and then again if he gets another flare up. I didn't want to give him steroids but the vet said it will be a short term fix/reliever until we get his blood test results back next week.
The preliminary tests came back positive to indoor allergies so waiting to hear more detail.

Does anyone else have experience with indoor allergies? What if it turns out to be dust mites Crying or Very sad It would be never ending!

**UPDATE: Test results are back and he is allergic to Dust mites!

Last edited by Bane on Thu Mar 20 2014, 09:13; edited 1 time in total
Bane
Bane
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Allergic Reaction this morning - Dust mites Empty Re: Allergic Reaction this morning - Dust mites

Post by Rachel33 Tue Mar 18 2014, 14:09

Oh no! I don't but a friend is going through all tests with her terrier as she's got severe allergies! Her vet tests all came back fine so she went to a homeopathy vet and came back with a massive list of sensitivities!
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Allergic Reaction this morning - Dust mites Empty Re: Allergic Reaction this morning - Dust mites

Post by Bane Tue Mar 18 2014, 14:11

Oh dear Sad Poor thing! I hope the homeopathic vet will be able to help! Fingers crossed these blood tests will come back sensible for Bane and we can get an answer to his problems!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue Mar 18 2014, 14:19

Got every thing crossed for you Smile turns out one of Lola's allergies is spiders! And potatoes! Can't remember the rest but there were loads of them, some really strange ones. Got everything crossed for you guys! X
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Mar 18 2014, 16:51

Spiders?! confused That's an odd one! Didn't even think that things like that could cause allergies!
His bumpiness has gone down now and he seems his usual self! It's just so odd how it all flared up in minutes!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Tue Mar 18 2014, 18:11

Poor Bane. Have you changed floor cleaner, polish, washing powder, air freshener? Be easier than dust mites!  Sad 

I'm allergic to spiders! They make me scream and want to throw up!!  Crying or Very sad I dont want to s 
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Mar 18 2014, 18:18

He's had ongoing itchiness since about 13 weeks old, but never went bumpy and had swollen feet :/ I'm sure I've not done anything differently today so I don't know what it could have been!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Tue Mar 18 2014, 18:21

That's the frustrating part, trying to find out whats causing it! Sad
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Tue Mar 18 2014, 18:29

How strange that it suddenly flaired up like that.  Sad  

We had Flo tested and she is allergic to Pollen.. There's no way she will miss her walk in the park so we wash her feet.

I posted a while ago about Flo's toes and will start with the Apple Cider Vinegar once she starts again and see how that goes.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Allergic Reaction this morning - Dust mites B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Mar 18 2014, 19:06

Poor bane, he really does suffer doesn't he xx
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Mar 18 2014, 19:12

Yeah Sad His preliminary tests said outside and food weren't a problem, only indoor came back positive so fingers crossed! Aw pollen would be an annoying one, although better than indoor as he can't get away from what's causing it!

Tell me about it Saz! The vets is almost his 2nd home! He gets so excited to go there Laughing
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Tue Mar 18 2014, 19:39

aww poor boy  Allergic Reaction this morning - Dust mites 3198918699 ,this allergies are a nightmare,my friends lab had the same sort of thing turned out it has the shake n vake she used on her carpets  Surprised ,hope they can sort it out quickly for him.
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Mar 18 2014, 19:53

Oooh can they get results narrowed down to that kind of thing? That would be amazing if so!
I'm pretty sure we've used all of the same cleaning stuff etc since we got him, but would be relieved if it turned out to be something like that! I don't mind cleaning with white vinegar and bicarb soda if I have to! Big Grin
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Tue Mar 18 2014, 20:01

i dont think she went to her vets for testing,she just noted down every thing she used and did a process of elimination,ebby used to roll on the carpet and big lumps appeared all over her body,she stopped using the shake n vake and the lumps never came back  Smile 
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Tue Mar 18 2014, 20:58

Hope he is okay and you can figure out the cause  Allergic Reaction this morning - Dust mites 3198918699 
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Mar 19 2014, 12:28

Talking about spiders, have you noticed any of those very small tiny red ones, that come out and can get into your house when the sun is out. They happen for a few months each year. Check outside your house walls, where the sun shines, thats where you would find them, then check if they getting through into the room from that wall. How is he today?
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Wed Mar 19 2014, 21:23

Glad she managed to find out what the problem was Stella Smile

Since he had his tablets yesterday he hasn't itched or chewed once! I am shocked, he hasn't been like this since the first few weeks we got him! It's so frustrating and upsetting to see him scratching himself all the time I've forgotten how nice it is to not have to worry about him sneaking off to hurt himself.
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Mar 19 2014, 21:26

Aww that's great Hun xx
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Thu Mar 20 2014, 00:26

Glad to know that the tablets are working but I hope that he's not on them for too long as Prednisone can have pretty bad side effects. Our first dogo was on them for a long time to treat his skin problems but what we didn't realise is that that it was doing him more harm than good. While they worked initially, his skin issues came back work than ever and increasing the dosages of Prednisone was becoming less effective. We also believe if had a bad effect on his immune system and contributed to his immune mediated disease which he ultimately died of at 2.5 years old.

My friend who works at the vet clinic said that while Prednisone can be good for short time use, its best to find the cause of the problems rather than use a steroid to mask the problems. Hope you can figure out whats causing Bane's allergies.

djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Marquez
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 119

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Thu Mar 20 2014, 08:32

Thanks Diane! He is so young the vet was reluctant to use them but said because it would just be until we got his results back next week, it should be ok and probably the best thing to relieve his skin. He had 2 on Tuesday and 1 yesterday and his skin is all back to normal so may leave off them unless he starts itching like mad again Smile
I'm so sorry for the loss of your Dogo! 2 and half years is so young, it's a shame that you quite often find out these things too late Sad
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Thu Mar 20 2014, 08:47

Yes 2 and half was too young and losing him devastated me. It was a mistake we didn't make again and whenever our dogos after him ended up with skin allergies, we looked first at the food then other causes without using harsh meds again. We never experienced skin issues with our rotties so it was all new to us and we put our trust in our vet who we thought knew better. We learned a lot with our first dogo and were able to do things differently after. I know staffies aren't dogos, but they seem to have similar skin sensitivities and I hope I can help someone else avoid the same mistakes we made with our first boy because we didn't know better.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Thu Mar 20 2014, 09:25

As it would anyone, it's a hard thing to go through.
Bane is our first dog. I have grown up with them but never had any major problems I don't think unless our parents didn't tell us so it is a big learning curve for us! Believe it or not between the breeds we were looking at we went with Staffy cos we thought it would be less likely to have any health problems! Typical eh Tongues

Just got off the phone with the vet and the test results are back! He is allergic to Dust Mites  :-< He has given us something to spray our carpets with to kill the dust mites twice a year and also some evening primrose oil to naturally help his itching, and if he doesn't get any better we are to go back in a couple of month for vaccination treatment. Looks like I am going to have to start cleaning obsessively!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Mar 20 2014, 13:33

Tough one that but atleast you know now  Smile xxx
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Thu Mar 20 2014, 14:13

Yeah we are glad we know now Saz Smile It's not one of the easiest allergies to deal with but glad he doesn't have a whole bunch of things he is allergic to! xx
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Mar 20 2014, 19:42

This maybe worth looking into, neem. I give powdered neem bark in Daisy's food and add oil to shampoo when I wash her as extra protection against mites (she had very bad demodex) maybe it helps with dust mites too? It also boosts the immune system, I also give echinacea for that too.
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Mar 20 2014, 22:52

Looks like it may do, a few links to read for you xx

http://www.plasmaneem.com/neemoil-dust-mites.html

Got to post one at a Time because I'm on the iPad and it looses want ive typed!!
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Mar 20 2014, 22:54

http://housedustmite.com/chemical-products-for-killing-dust-mites-in-2011/
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Mar 20 2014, 22:57

http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-oil-for-dogs.html
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu Mar 20 2014, 23:31

This is useful to me too Saz as Flo was also diagnosed as dust mite allergic. The vet offered us a course of injections but we declined as I wanted to see if I could manage without meds first, hence my surprise at the apple cider vinegar thing.

Thank you.

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Mar 20 2014, 23:34

No worries I give apple cider vinegar too  Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Fri Mar 21 2014, 01:14

Happy that you found the cause of Bane's problem - now to tackle those critters :p
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Fri Mar 21 2014, 10:27

Wow, thanks Saz! Allergic Reaction this morning - Dust mites 3198918699 I will have a look at them all in a bit Smile

Ian what injections did your vet offer? And how is Flo doing with her allergy?
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri Mar 21 2014, 14:14

The Injections he offered were a course to build up immunity a bit like an immunisation jab that we Humans get Emma.

I was very sceptical and decided that I really couldn't put her through that given that she had already had an op not long before. The course was over 6 months and she has a real mistrust with the vet nowadays.

She bites her rear paws and the inner side of the base of her tail. She isn't particularly scratchy anymore than any other dog anywhere else.

For the Paws, we wash them after every walk and have done so since late last year. She is now back on the Piriton just to see if we can curb the issue somewhat. The chewing had almost gone but it's winter so no pollen. We have, in the last week, caught her with the Paw which is a shame as her pad hair was starting to return to a nice healthy white again.

As for the base of the tail, we clean and spray it with something the vet gave us (I will look at the name and post it here when I get home). This helps but boy do we get some looks from her when we do it  Laughing

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21 2014, 14:40

Oh poor Bane, Vin has only had a bad reaction once and he had an adrenaline injection and another one which the vet said it would prevent it happening again. Bearing in mind I think it was a sting of some sorts but like you I panicked it was horrendous. Hope all continues to go well xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Fri Mar 21 2014, 16:29

Well at least you know the cause and you can cure it somehow. And its good Bane likes the vets.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri Mar 21 2014, 21:29

Emma, the spray we use on Flo's tail is Cortavance. It gives quick relief and might be of use.

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sat Mar 22 2014, 22:24

Thanks for that Ian! I think that is the same spray that we use on Bane. It has helped his ears so much, they got so infected they were just red and weepy and all crusty on the inside, they now look a normal colour and have completely cleared up after less than a week!
Aw poor Flo! Does she have pollen allergies aswell then? The innoculations would be the next step our vet wants to take if we can't control his itching! So far he has been fine the last couple of days but I think the steroids are starting to wear off as he has a few mad moments tonight! :/
Lynn we used to go to puppy club there so he just thinks when he goes there he is going to get to play with other pups Laughing And thanks Inez Smile xx
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sat Mar 22 2014, 23:38

Yes she does Emma. It's kind of work in progress as her paws have been really good until just this last week.

There is, I am sure, an element of habit with he paws but certainly not the tail. She bites her tail very quickly when she gets irritated and we have to move her face out of that particular area  Laughing  If it continues we spray.. But honestly the look we get from her when we do that is so very funny.

We use the spray as and when needed and wash her feet in clean water (over the winter) but have used diluted DermOpt when the grass pollen is more prevalent. I will be trying the Cider Vinegar this year just to see if it helps.

I hope you can find some relief for poor Bane.

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sun Mar 23 2014, 16:39

Aw poor girl! I hope something works for her paws to keep her comfy over summer! I can't think of anything worse than to have a raging itch that you can't get rid of!
How is she with the spray? Big Grin Bane gets scared and tries to run away for just his ears so god knows how you manage to spray her hum with it Laughing
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Mar 23 2014, 17:02

Laughing I should video the spraying.. Oh the look she gives me  Laughing 

It's strange actually, if I sneak up on her and try to spray, she runs a mile but if I show her the bottle first call her to me and give her some face to face snuggles, the OH can spray without too much trouble.

Then of course it's treat time  Big Grin

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sun Mar 23 2014, 17:12

Laughing I can imagine the look on her poor face!
If Bane sees the bottle or even sees us going into "The Box" to get it he runs away! Laughing
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Mar 23 2014, 17:26

Laughing  "The Box"  Laughing .. We have one too but it's near the treat box so she is never really sure weather to sit and look pretty or run for it  Laughing

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Mon Mar 24 2014, 09:18

Oooh that is a good idea why didn't we think of that Laughing
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 24 2014, 09:21

How's he doing now Hun? Xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Mon Mar 24 2014, 10:20

He hasn't had anymore flare ups Smile and we haven't had to use the steroid spray or tablets since last week! He is chewing occasionally, but we have now sprayed the carpet, his bed and sofa with that mite spray so fingers crossed!
We have also stopped him from going upstairs which will hopefully help just means no more morning snugs for me Sad
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down