+4
bellanlillie
Kathy
Rachel33
janey
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New member..need some help / advice pls - Page 2 Empty New member..need some help / advice pls

Post by bellanlillie Sat Mar 01 2014, 19:46

First topic message reminder :

Hi I'm Kelly and I have 2 staffs mum 8 years and daughter 4 years. Recently over the last year and a half the youngest Lillie has been having strange episodes. Now when I say episodes I don't mean bad behaviour or aggressiveness but more like climbing the walls.
The only way I can tell u is by video and not sure how to upload on here. But her episodes just suddenly happen. She gets hot and heart rate is going fast. She tries to climb on top of my tumble drier and then up on to the my gas boiler which is not ideal. Iv spoke to a dog physiologist and she seems to think it's a physiological problem.
Does anyone know or heard anything of the sort.???
bellanlillie
bellanlillie
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Bella & Lillie
Dog(s) Ages : 8 & 4
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New member..need some help / advice pls - Page 2 Empty Re: New member..need some help / advice pls

Post by Sazzle Mon Mar 03 2014, 22:19

Once a week isn't enough no matter how long its for, they need the exercise and metal stimulation they get from a walk every day  Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

New member..need some help / advice pls - Page 2 Empty Re: New member..need some help / advice pls

Post by Rachel33 Tue Mar 04 2014, 08:33

The problem that I find is that although I'm always in control of Biscuit, others don't control their dogs and allow them to run up to mine, which is why I now have a muzzle (plus the fact that she's human aggressive too) as I was sick of being out in a potentially dangerous situation.

Saz is right, once a day isn't really enough let alone once a week. Most members on this forum walk their dogs for an hour twice a day, sometimes even 3 times and the majority have full time jobs. I used to do 10 hours in the kennels with Biscuit asleep in the staff room and walk her on my lunch break and after work. Comes with the territory of owning a dog, no matter how knackered you are. Their behaviour will be worse with the lessened exercise, if you can get up to an hour a day even just on lead, you will see a massive difference. The problem with not walking at all and then doing a long distance, like 10 miles, is that the dogs won't be physically prepared and it could damage them.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Tue Mar 04 2014, 14:23

Alfie is dog aggressive because he is so scared of them, unfortunately his previous owners rarely walked him. This has made things difficult for us. He has a harness on and a halti for his pulling. He gets excited when its walk time, yet when he is out he is very anxious. We have only had him 3 months and hope he will get more confidence with time. However we would never consider not walking him. He needs it for exercise and mental stimulation (even if he gets nervous of things) and how will he ever get used to things and chill a bit if he doesn't have any new experiences.
I know I would stir crazy if I stayed in the house everyday with no breaks or exercise. Regular walking everyday may well solve Lillies problem, if not back to the vets.
You may want to gradually increase you walk times/distances as after all this time they wont be used to it or their paws.
flowerbud
flowerbud
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri Mar 07 2014, 07:38

How are the walks coming along? Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2