+2
AussieStaff
TonyW
6 posters

Go down

Diet Help Empty Diet Help

Post by TonyW Thu Feb 13 2014, 01:04

Hey People,

I am getting more and more confused the more research I do.

As you may be aware I brought Barney home (8weeks) on Saturday. He has settled very well and is great.

However, the Breeder was feeding him Pedigree Dry, which, I understand from my pre puppy research on this site is not good.

I intend to change his Diet and am interested in the Raw Feeding. However in order to make sure I get things right I have seen this Nature Diet Raw product range that seems to cover all the angles.

I have not seen this supplier mentioned much on the site and thought I would canvas opinions.

Any advice on changeover methods / timing would also be appreciated.

I just want to do what's best for my new Best Friend.
TonyW
TonyW
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Diet Help Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Separeted
Dogs Name(s) : Barney
Dog(s) Ages : 18/12/2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

Diet Help Empty Re: Diet Help

Post by AussieStaff Thu Feb 13 2014, 02:40

I'm not sure this will help at all but I have a 4 month old who was being fed raw minced chicken twice a day from the breeder, we brought him home and started mixing the minced chicken with dry food as the Vet & petstore both told us they get all the nutrients they need with dry rather than raw which only has some, and then within 3 days had him completely on dry, now he eats dry (Hills Science Diet - but I'm in Aus and not sure if you get that there ?) and I either mix tuna chunks, sardines or olive oil with it. He very much loves his treats of rump steak & scrambled eggs tho  Laughing  There's so much conflicting advice, at the end of the day I believe it's about what is working for you both. Good luck! Someone with more experience will be along soon to help Smile
AussieStaff
AussieStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Post by KMDT Thu Feb 13 2014, 09:34

Hi Tony,

I heard puppy need to change diet slowly but personally if you want to change from dry to raw do it straight away if not then start mixing raw into normal food. We didn't like what breeder was feeding him therefore we changed to better quality dry food straight away. Zeus took well and no issue whatsoever for changing his food. Then we discover local pet shop is selling frozen raw meat which we started to mix with dry food. Zeus loves it and notice that he doesn't like dry food anymore. Around same time we saw documentary about dog food which made our mind up to raw food diet.

We are using Basil's Raw dog food (http://www.basilsdogfood.co.uk/) also carry on feeding local shop frozen meat. Zeus loves it and his coat became soft and lovely! Basil's food is comes with Beef, Lamb or Chicken with mix veg. Looks like good quality food and deliver next day if you order Tue,Wed and Thu. We are happy with food/service and might buy more from them in the future. (We bought starter pack which comes with Beef x 4, Lamb x 4 and Chicken x 4)

Hope thit is help!
KMDT
KMDT
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 31/7/2013
Support total : 21

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Thu Feb 13 2014, 10:00

Hi Tony
I feed Natural Instincts raw food.
It seems to tick all the nutrient boxes  Smile Toots loves it and seems to be very well on it  Smile 
silver
silver
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Toots
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 103

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Feb 13 2014, 13:07

Once you get into it a DIY raw diet is really easy  Smile Have you seen this thread?

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t14787-raw-diet
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyW Thu Feb 13 2014, 16:18

Thanks for the advice guys. I have pretty much made up mind Raw is the way to go. Now I will decide on a brand until I am confident enough (if ever) that I won't cock up a DIY Raw diet.
TonyW
TonyW
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Diet Help Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Separeted
Dogs Name(s) : Barney
Dog(s) Ages : 18/12/2013
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 13 2014, 16:21

I'm afraid i won't feed it, it's a low quality food IMO and turns to slop when defrosted, I DIY raw and feed whole animals and pieces

One of the big points of feeding raw is the dental and mental workout, the dental is obvious chewing large pieces of meat with bones keep teeth clean, but dogs get a mental workout with chewing. A dog releases hormones that make them feel happy and 'chilled' when they chew - hence why most dogs chew, so i provide them with that with their raw diet

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Thu Feb 13 2014, 16:27

I'm just over a week changing Ledger over to raw and certainly recommend, we are just using the Natures Menu chicken mince at the moment (the large 2kg bags that actually look like mince as oppose to the small rectangular packs which were just mush) for convenience as P@H keep well stocked an i only have space for just over a weeks food for him but I have ordered a new freezer so can buy in bulk from DAF which will work out cheaper and mean I can have a more varied diet for him and also take advantage of all the freebies you can get at the butcher
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down