Diet

3 posters

Go down

Diet  Empty Diet

Post by mickgill Mon Oct 29 2012, 10:35

I started Duke of on James wellBeloved with whitefish , last week he turned his nose up at it more than once so i bought James wellBeloved lamb and Rice Kibble he eats it but he poo's straight after finishing it in fact these last three mornings he has had 3 poo's in 2 hours , his stools are good but he is hungry again .

It seems he is digesting this kibble to quick for my liking, i don't think he should be pooing so much and so quickly after he has eaten, has anyone else experienced this ? im considering a good alternative so suggestions are welcome thanks .
mickgill
mickgill
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Diet  Empty Re: Diet

Post by Dan330 Mon Oct 29 2012, 11:08

I had the same problem...

I have now settled on giving him a mixture of meals ove the week. The bulk of it is from the butchers, they grind everything up thats unsold and cook it making a pate... I mix this with basic dried (non complete) and raw veg (carrots and Broccoli are his fav). I also give hi a lot of fruit as snacks, however its best not to give them fruit mixed with other things as it digests quicker and can ferment in their stomach. Hes been on it for a few months now and he is coming along brilliantly.
Dan330
Dan330
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Monty
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Mon Oct 29 2012, 15:29

Thanks Dan , we went to PAH today and were lucky enough to bump into a very nice couple who breed Staffs and Bulldogs , we had Duke with us , the guy said Duke is a lovely Staff , well made and a good shiny coat, we told him about the pooing, he was blunt and said you are overfeeding him and that's the reason why he is digesting it so quick, he was better than the staff who work there Laughing .

So we are going to stick with the James wellbeloved the guy said changing it could cause a stomach upset and the runs , we will cut it down to 3 times a day instead of four and see how he goes, we weighed him he is 6.6 kilo .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Oct 29 2012, 18:58

We had quite similar when Rocky was on the James Welbeloved, we have changed him onto Barking Heads TLC and things are much better. He is also much calmer too.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Mon Oct 29 2012, 19:32

Thanks Kathy i shall take a look at that because Duke is less than pleased that he is not having a feed in fact he is throwing his bowl up in the air Laughing
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29 2012, 19:43

How old is he now? If he's under 12 weeks, I'd still keep him on 4 meals a day. If he isn't getting fat then you're not overfeeding him! I'm surprised a breeder would advise such a thing!

You might just need to slow him down a bit. You could try putting a tennis ball or similar in his bowl so that he has to eat around it which will slow him down a bit.

A dog can't digest food 'too fast', but it's possible that you haven't quite found the food that 'agrees' with him yet. You could try a fish-based one - do James Wellbeloved do one?

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Mon Oct 29 2012, 20:05

He is 12 weeks tomorrow Caryll , i have to say yes he is getting fat i think that's what the breeder was trying to say without being insulting to us , James wellbeloved do a puppy food with whitefish he was on that but seemed to get bored with it , he is calm of it and has a shiny coat, it's just that he poo's a lot from it .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29 2012, 20:09

mickgill wrote: James wellbeloved do a puppy food with whitefish he was on that but seemed to get bored with it ,

Sorry, I missed that in your original post.

By all means, then, cut him down to 3 meals a day, he's certainly old enough. Generally speaking, though, if a pup's getting a bit podgy it's because of the total amount of food he gets, not the number of meals it's spread over. See if slowing his eating down helps a bit.

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Mon Oct 29 2012, 20:14

Thanks Caryll will do Smile the breeder in PAH said don't put as much in his bowl so i will try that .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down