Biting!!!

4 posters

Go down

Biting!!! Empty Biting!!!

Post by sikri002 Sat Jan 18 2014, 21:44

Hey all I hope you're all well!!

Lobo is really starting to work my last nerve with his biting. It really takes all I have not to reach down and slap him. Whether it be inside or outside he has this sudden burst of aggression and starts biting ankles and jumping up to bite thighs. He tries to run around behind you and then get you. His bites aren't soft at all they really hurt and he's tugging

He's 10months and 25kg(completely healthy the vet says). He does get sufficient exercise. A lot of play. He's on a raw diet, but he was doing this before that as well. Loads of mental stimuli and I rotate his toys making sure he doesn't get bored but ARGHHHHHHH it really P******* me off!!!

I tried the Cesar's 'no touch, no talk, no eye contact' and walking towards him. Also move him away from the environment. But nothing works.

Ideas???
sikri002
sikri002
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lobo
Dog(s) Ages : 8-12 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Biting!!! Empty Re: Biting!!!

Post by Guest Sat Jan 18 2014, 21:50

He is testing you and going through that naughty teenage stage, a high pitched squeal and then ignore him will work if you keep at it.  Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 18 2014, 21:54

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sat Jan 18 2014, 22:08

Hm.. Is he being overstimulated? My foster boy does that when there's too much going on for him, whether that's sights, sounds or smells! He does it if he gets over excited during play too and will grab sticks and just loses the plot with them. Totally understand how testing it is and can full empathise! The usual squeal may over excite him even more, I'd try and cross your arms and turn your back on him, taking away all interaction until he shows calm behaviour. When he's calmer, ask for a sit and then give a BIG but calm reward, for example lots of small treats or gentle stroking down the back if that's more of a reward for him Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Sun Jan 19 2014, 11:27

I'm very much with Rachel on this one, it does sound like he is
overstimulated as you are describing exactly what my boy was like
and can still act like when he is excited/stimulated.  A lot of dog
owners (including me at one time) think that this type of behaviour requires more exercise, play, interaction etc etc and really its the opposite.
Sometimes they have to be taught to chill and relax  Smile  
Someone once told me that having a Staffie is like having a Ferrari:      they can go from 0 to 60 in a second  Laughing

Lizzie
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by sikri002 Sun Jan 19 2014, 14:39

Hey guys I don't know about over stimulated. I mean he has everything available to him but there's no excessive play. Also when he does this indoors usually it's because he wants out to pee/ poop ( we don't keep the doors open because of the cold) but when he does it outside there's no toys or any playing. He will come close and sniff at ankles then all of a sudden start jumping back and forth biting
sikri002
sikri002

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lobo
Dog(s) Ages : 8-12 months
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 19 2014, 21:06

Rachel and Lizzie are both correct in saying that over-excitement can cause this type of behaviour, but if this is not the case with Lobo, then it sounds like he goes outside to relieve himself of his immediate discomfort, then comes back in - now I feel TERRIFIC! Let's play!

I would very much doubt, especially at his age, that it's aggression (unless you get front of the mouth snarling, lips curled above teeth, ears layed back and staring eyes) - I think he just wants to play and being a boisterous Staff doesn't realise how much his teeth can hurt.

I would try telling him No, Leave it or whatever phrase you use to get him to leave something alone - in a firm, low, strong but not shouty voice, and then turn your back on him and go and get him a toy or antler bar or something that he can bite and tug at.

If any of the above helps, do come back to us and let us know, and if it doesn't do let us know!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Jan 20 2014, 07:11

Very good advice from everybody else also. Without seeing him it's really hard to tell what it is, but over stimulation doesn't have to come from over excitement. Running over stimulates Max, he can't cope with the adrenaline and takes it out on sticks.. Different elements also overstimulate him, e.g water, smells. If he sees a dog he can't cope and HAS to get to them.. I took him back to basics and take him to the same boring field everyday while we're training, tried playing ball but it's too much and he starts the nipping your legs and back if you ignore. As Lizzie has said he needs to learn to be calm, would probably enjoy it Smile

As Lynda has said, if you can give him something suitable to chew on that's a great way to redirect his chewing, just ensure it's not over exciting him more. He sounds like he's trying to play and release energy.. In his own special way!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Jan 20 2014, 11:20

I agree with wht Lynda says, when he starts biting, just put a hard toy in his mouth to redirect his chewing. He will pick up on it. Its what we use to do with Pixee. Ever now, when she gets over excited, and starts wanting to mouth me, I just get her a hard toy, and hold it while we have a play tug with her chewing the toy instead.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down