hyper puppy

3 posters

Go down

hyper puppy Empty hyper puppy

Post by _Jason_ Wed Oct 30 2013, 19:23

Hello everyone well broxi is 7months now and is hyper little thing, still loves to bite my hands being playfull.

Thing is tho when people come into the house hes never leaves them alone always jumping on them bitting them even bitting there heads etc,he is playing and happy but the people that come into the house would rather he was more chilled out.

Im going to have my first child come april so im starting to think id rather him be settled alot more for when the baby comes.

Even when someone stands there and ignores him he keeps jumping up and he will start barking because hes not getting a reaction.

Whats the best method i can do,

Thanks Smile i really need help
_Jason_
_Jason_
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : July 4th
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 70

Back to top Go down

hyper puppy Empty Re: hyper puppy

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30 2013, 19:48

Remind me what he's fed on & what exercise he gets. Also, what have you done so far to stop him jumping on people?

Back to top Go down

Post by _Jason_ Wed Oct 30 2013, 20:02

Hes fed on wainwrights and normally gets 3 walks a day for around 30mins and the odd time 4 times a day.

I just tell him off really, basically im doing it wrong,but im ready to put in 100% effort to turn this around
_Jason_
_Jason_

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jo garnett Wed Oct 30 2013, 20:07

Puppies are hyper, especially Staffies I've found, as they love everyone! It's just their nature. Sorry that isn't particularly helpful Straight Face 
jo garnett
jo garnett

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Lola and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : both 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both female
Support total : 86

Back to top Go down

Post by _Jason_ Wed Oct 30 2013, 20:14

jo garnett wrote:Puppies are hyper, especially Staffies I've found, as they love everyone! It's just their nature. Sorry that isn't particularly helpful Straight Face 
Haha yeah i know,this annoying thing is tho he doesnt really stop being hyper even if the person is here for an hour its just relentless,normally i just play tug with him or something to keep him busy while talking to people
_Jason_
_Jason_

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30 2013, 20:15

Broxi wrote:Hes fed on wainwrights and normally gets 3 walks a day for around 30mins and the odd time 4 times a day.

I just tell him off really, basically im doing it wrong,but im ready to put in 100% effort to turn this around
Firstly, 30 minutes lead walking, three times a day is ok at his age, but he also needs some off lead charge around time! You could also start to get his mind worn out as well as his body - do some scent work with him. Hide some treats or toys around the room, then bring him in and let him search for them. Keep using a trigger word like "Find" or "Seek", and when he finds something tell him how good he is!

With nipping, just tell him "No" and turn away. Don't talk to him, don't look at him, just totally ignore him until he's calm. He'll soon realise that nipping = no fun and not nipping = play time/fuss.

You can do the same thing with jumping up, and tell your guests to do the same. He gets no attention (not even a look) until he's on all four feet, or sitting, and reasonably calm. One way of starting that off is to out him on a lead when people come in, and get him to sit still until they are settled. Then lead him calmly over to them.

Back to top Go down

Post by _Jason_ Wed Oct 30 2013, 20:18

Thank you thats very sound advice Caryll

Smile
_Jason_
_Jason_

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30 2013, 20:20

If at any time he 'fails' then just go back a stage & start again. He will only do it wrong if he doesn't quite understand what you want him to do.thumbs up 

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob R Fri Nov 01 2013, 19:58

I remember going to see a mate who had an English Bull. I saw it at around 12 weeks and it was cute but constantly nipping and had no discipline at all. I then went to see it at 6 months and things hadnt changed other than its size and it was huge. It was mental and was constantly jumping up at me. I thought I would be clever and tried to teach it some manners turning my back to it but the damn thing jumped up and ripped my T-shirt right down my back. Fortunately it was a cheap top and I found it hilarious at the time.
It doesnt help you I know but it needs 'nipping in the bud' asap.
Bob R
Bob R
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky - [pup]
Dog(s) Ages : Zac-15yrs RIP [avatar]
Dog Gender(s) : M
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 01 2013, 20:04

Oh, dear me. Bull Terriers are so much more over the top than Staffords! Plus they are totally thick unless there's food around!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down