introducing my hyper dog to a puppy?!

2 posters

Go down

introducing my hyper dog to a puppy?! Empty introducing my hyper dog to a puppy?!

Post by Gemma_Roxi Mon Jun 04 2012, 16:20

Hi everyone, my dog is quite hyper and due to this we never got another dog (we should had got 2 at same time) shes brilliant with other dogs very friendly but she does jump on backs and quite boystress. So now my mum has decided she'd love a dog and has just rescued a staffy puppy who is gorgeous i must add! and we'd like the 2 dogs to get along as we live quite close, but looking at the size of mums puppy and my roxi im scared roxi is going to jump on her ad hurt her, but at same time dont want keep them apart for too long as i'd like my mums puppy to get along with roxi as she grows. I know it' easier than if i had adopted another puppy but not sure ho to do it?
Gemma_Roxi
Gemma_Roxi
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Roxi
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

introducing my hyper dog to a puppy?! Empty Re: introducing my hyper dog to a puppy?!

Post by Gemma_Roxi Mon Jun 04 2012, 16:21

sorry about missing letters darn keyboard!
Gemma_Roxi
Gemma_Roxi

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

introducing my hyper dog to a puppy?! Empty Re: introducing my hyper dog to a puppy?!

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04 2012, 16:23

Is your mum's pup allowed out on walks yet? If so, then the best thing is to introduce them on a walk, on lead. Let them sniff & walk together & then later, when you know they're ok together, you can bring one into the other one's home. Maybe start by taking Roxi to your mum's home & if that goes well, do it the other way round.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemma_Roxi Mon Jun 04 2012, 16:29

no not yet, shes only 9 weeks old my mum's staffy is (Ruby). just getting much info as can as when and how to introduce them.
Gemma_Roxi
Gemma_Roxi

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemma_Roxi Mon Jun 04 2012, 16:33

i say hyper but she seems clever too,
with our children she seems to be hyper around and runs and plays and jumps as they have allowed her too, but around babies she sniffs then just walks away are lays on floor near baby. but thats humans.
on walks she does the normal circle sniff then seems bounce and thats when she jumps on backs of dogs doh
thinking about it shes never really been around a small dog or puppy. so no idea how she'll respond.
Gemma_Roxi
Gemma_Roxi

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemma_Roxi Mon Jun 04 2012, 16:38

thnx for bringing other post to top, really helped going to give roxi a bit of trixi's blanket and vice verser. will they be okay in future as both girls? and roxi is going to be 4 years older than ruby, so ruby may get her back if she becomes hyper when our roxi wants sleep and ruby wants to play! LOL
Gemma_Roxi
Gemma_Roxi

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04 2012, 17:59

The age gap shouldn't make a lot of difference. An older bitch will tell a pup off if it gets too much, but as long as you keep an eye on both of them & step in if it gets a bit over the top you should be ok.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04 2012, 19:47

I just threw my 2 together. They get on great, lily is extremely boisterous but she was gentle with Lola as she realised she was a pup. Now they play fight all the time but never hurt each other> they show their teeth at each other but have never hurt the other Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by katrina1987 Tue Jun 05 2012, 13:45

I was very worried when bringing our pupp Winston home at 8 weeks to meet Lola our parsons terrier who will be 5 in september as she is as mad as anything and scatty but very loving. I literally walked in popped him down and sat beside both of them and she was so excited but she knew ot be gentle and the first thing he did was stand up with his 2front paws on her back and then she playbowed him. It went so well and never had a problem so far. Shes actually calmed down a lot now, he more of a nutter then she is now. Good luck to your new addition

katrina1987

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Winston (staffy), Lola (parsons terrier)
Dog(s) Ages : Winston 15 weeks and Lola almost 5
Dog Gender(s) : Winston (male) Lola (female)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemma_Roxi Wed Jun 06 2012, 07:41

Thankyou, not my addition but my mums Smile important they get on as my mum is the doggy sitter when we go on holiday haha! we swapped blankets over the first night and I decided take roxi to see her yesterday, it went as i kind of thought but okay, roxi wasnt nasty but she wanted puppy to play, roxi was licking Ruby like it was her puppy though vwhich was really cute, when ruby bit Roxi's ear she put her paw up and 'tapped' ruby, which was suprising, our first thought was take ruby away from biting roxi but roxi seemed to have that 'parenting' role even though she's never had puppies, i think blankets helped though as roxi was sniffing her like she knew. Even so i think we'll be sticking with just the 1 dog and just have friends for roxi as when i held ruby, roxi jumped on me for a cuddle and to be picked up too (roxi isnt exactly small haha) thankyou for everyones advice.
Gemma_Roxi
Gemma_Roxi

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down