Introducing a minature Dachshund puppy to 10 year old Staffy

3 posters

Go down

Introducing a minature Dachshund puppy to 10 year old Staffy Empty Introducing a minature Dachshund puppy to 10 year old Staffy

Post by dachy Thu Oct 03 2013, 14:05

Hello,

I'm a bit nervous about posting as I've just joined and I'm not sure I'm putting this in the right place so I hope it's ok!  

I Don't have a Staffy but my Dad does, he has a lovely 10 year old Staffy who still acts like a pup at times. I have  got a miniature wire haired dachshund puppy, 11 weeks old now, and I'd really like to introduce the 2 dogs so that I can continue to walk my Dads dog.

My Dads Staffy is unpredictable with other dogs, sometimes he's fine and wants to play, other times he wants to jump on them growling! He has never bitten another dog and when we have been with friends who have been happy to let the dogs work things out he has always become settled and gone on to be absolutely fine with the other dog, however he doesn't often get that chance as we walk him either on the lead or off lead but well away from other dogs now.

I live a short walk from my parents house so the new puppy isn't living in his space. I'm wary as I don't want the new pup to have a bad experience of the introduction either and because he is so tiny I guess it could be a bit scary for him meeting a bouncy Staffy but I'm almost sure that if we manage the introduction well then there won't be any major problems.

If anyone has any advice on the best way to introduce the two? That would be brilliant :-) Also if anyone has any ideas of ways to help him have more of the happy interactions and less of the growly ones? Or is that just the nature of some Staffies?

Thanks so much xx

dachy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Introducing a minature Dachshund puppy to 10 year old Staffy Empty Re: Introducing a minature Dachshund puppy to 10 year old Staffy

Post by Guest Thu Oct 03 2013, 14:11

Hello welcome to the forum Smile

I have no experience introducing new pups to staffies, esp ones that small. I would do it very gradually over time though and to start with i would get someone to walk your dads dog then on the way home (say at the end of the street) meet with you and your puppy and walk the rest of the way home together. Do this for a good few days increasing the distance they walk together (not too much considering the age and size of your pup) then start to meet at your dads hourse and eventually your dads dog should see this as totally normal friend to walk with and not get wired when they meet.

Back to top Go down

Introducing a minature Dachshund puppy to 10 year old Staffy Empty Re: Introducing a minature Dachshund puppy to 10 year old Staffy

Post by dachy Thu Oct 03 2013, 14:41

Hi, Thanks so much for your reply. Sounds like a sensible plan :-) I had wondered about introducing them at the beach, my Dads Staffy absolutely loves the sea and tends to be more interested in running in and out the waves than anything else so I'd wondered about joining my Dad and him at the beach while he's doing that? But maybe that defeats the purpose of introducing them! I definitely like the idea of doing it over time and at the end of a walk where he's had time to burn of some energy, I hadn't considered that. Thanks again

dachy

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 03 2013, 15:29

No problem. I think the beach will be a good idea when your dads dog and yours have met a few times and you can see how they get on. Keep us updated and we would love an intro and a few pics too Tongues

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Oct 03 2013, 19:16

It's always a good idea to make any introductions on neutral ground like in a local park they can then have a walk togther with both owners still present. Take some toys aloong with you to act as a distraction if need be, I'm sure they will get along just great.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Oct 03 2013, 21:21

Great advise above, hope it goes well, do let us know Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down