Introducing a young dog to my 4 year old staff

4 posters

Go down

Introducing a young dog to my 4 year old staff Empty Introducing a young dog to my 4 year old staff

Post by Pauline82 Sun May 15 2016, 12:21

Hi everyone,
I have had bruno since he was 12 weeks old and the past few months decided to get him a canine friend. Went to the rehoming centre on Thursday, met a lovely little girl Betty, staffy cross, only issue she in heat. However rehoming centre wanted me to bring down yesterday for them to meet. Bruno is neutered but Betty is still in heat. For me that was worrying and then when the introduced them it was face to face, I thought it would of been side by side. Bruno got a bit upset at first somebody just bouncing at him and nipping him. So after a not very good start a dog trainer eventually came and told them to drop the leads, which they did by this time bruno was only interested in humping her. They say she's due to be spayed on 1st June and to keep ringing up. Any advice would be appreciated x
Pauline82
Pauline82
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Introducing a young dog to my 4 year old staff Empty Re: Introducing a young dog to my 4 year old staff

Post by Mistys Mum Sun May 15 2016, 13:54

Glad to hear you are rescuing! Lovely to hear of dogs getting a forever home.

I admit I think you are right to be sceptical about them meeting when she is in season. I'm surprised the rescue centre wanted a meeting to go ahead when she was in heat.

Can they arrange another meeting when she has finished and make the meeting on neutral ground? Again I completely agree with you about the face to face meeting, my trainer says this is the most confrontational way to meet.

Good luck for the next meeting and do let us know how it goes on x

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Introducing a young dog to my 4 year old staff B110
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Introducing a young dog to my 4 year old staff Empty Re: Introducing a young dog to my 4 year old staff

Post by Jenc Sun May 15 2016, 20:38

Hi & Introducing a young dog to my 4 year old staff Welcome

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have a number of seasonal just for fun Staffy picture competitions throughout the year. If you have a great picture don't be shy, post it. You might just win! Even if you don't enter do take the time to vote for your favourite and support those that enter Here

This Forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Introducing a young dog to my 4 year old staff Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Introducing a young dog to my 4 year old staff Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Introducing a young dog to my 4 year old staff Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Introducing a young dog to my 4 year old staff Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Introducing a young dog to my 4 year old staff Icon_arrow See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Sun May 15 2016, 20:47

Hi from me & Katy, I don't know which rescue centre this is but you never introduce a male neutered or not to a female in season Surprised Face to face introductions are a no no too!! As for Betty being spayed 1st of June I think that is too early as after Katy's season I had to wait 3 months before she could be done as their body has to return back to normal, even then they debated as she was still showing signs of milk!!! I do hope you can rehome Betty & that Bruno hits it off with her Big Grin

Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun May 15 2016, 20:48

Hi & Welcome to the Forum from Flo and me Big Grin

I'm surprised that they allowed them to meet whilst on heat and nose to nose is a real bad idea, no wonder Bruno was a bit miffed. Moving forward I would wait until off heat and then meet on neutral ground for an on lead walk. Start off with humans in between and then move one in between and if comfortable have both in between humans.

I guess on the up side at least they know of each other now so hopefully all will be a bit calmer. Do let us know how you get on Pauline Smile

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauline82 Mon May 16 2016, 18:56

Thank you for all your responses, rang dogs trust today and Betty has been reserved for somebody else know. I'm gutted, but while she was in season could not home her with bruno. However rspca have also had 7 puppies left with them, so I'm considering getting a yonger staffie cross. Depending on them, I would rather give an unwanted dog a home than go to a breeder. When I know more I will update you guys and thanks again x
Pauline82
Pauline82

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down